Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:58 AM   #1
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Cruise Ship Runs Aground Off Coast of Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxNews.com
Survivors from a luxury cruise ship that ran aground and tipped over, leaving at least three dead and 69 people still unaccounted for, described Saturday a chaotic evacuation, as plates and glasses crashed and they crawled along upended hallways trying to reach safety.

Three bodies were recovered from the sea after the Costa Concordia ran aground off the tiny island of Giglio near the coast of Tuscany late Friday, tearing a 160-foot gash in its hull and sending in a rush of water.
I hope they find all of the missing passengers alive.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/01...#ixzz1jRsZc6iT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cruise.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	319905  
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:15 AM   #2
TheShinyMac
macrumors 6502a

That's terrible. I really hope all the missing are reunited with their families.

I hope the three that died went peacefully.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:38 AM   #3
wrinkster22
macrumors 68030

I have cruised multiple times, including with costa's parent company.
I almost booked a cruise for January 1 (Until I saw the price)
I hope they find the 69 people.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:49 AM   #4
Votekinky06
macrumors 6502

I'm very confused about how this could happen
Votekinky06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 01:05 PM   #5
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votekinky06 View Post
I'm very confused about how this could happen
That's easy.... the ship was where it wasn't supposed to be.

Why it was there is the hard question. But I suspect they will find there was a cascading failure. That is.... someone set a navigation device wrong, and the person who was supposed to double check didn't check it, and that the other navigation devices that were supposed to warn the bridge crew that they were in the wrong spot were either turned off or ignored. And that finally, the bridge crew were distracted or just not paying attention. It'll be something like that, imo.

There are too many safeguards for this kind of thing to happen with just a single failure.... many things have to go wrong. Often these are little things that individually don't appear to be critical.

I also predict they'll determine it was human error. Lack of attention, or lack of training - though probably both. Entirely preventable in any case.

I saw a photo of the gash in the side of the ship, and there are still rocks the size of trucks embedded in the hull. There is no way they will be able to claim that this was a sandbar that had developed recently and was not listed on the charts. I mention this, because the initial releases from the company keep insisted the ship hit a "sandbar". Sandbars that include truck sized rocks don't tend to move from spot to spot ... and yes, that was sarcasm.... like I said... imho this was an entirely preventable event. Not an "accident", which implies that it was just bad luck. /rant
Old Jan 14, 2012, 01:16 PM   #6
quagmire
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
Not an "accident", which implies that it was just bad luck. /rant
It is an accident. Unless it was a deliberate act, it was an accident. No matter what caused it( distraction, system failure, human error, etc).
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 02:12 PM   #7
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
It is an accident. Unless it was a deliberate act, it was an accident. No matter what caused it( distraction, system failure, human error, etc).
With respect, I disagree...

Just scanned the dictionary meanings of accident, and they are more or less split between defining it as "bad luck" and preventable, vs a mishap that the victims could not have foreseen or prevented... so no point going there since we would just quote contradictory definitions....

However, in my part of the world the radio stations have (tried) to stop using the term "accidents" when talking about car crashes on the traffic reports. The rationale is that the term "accident" implies that it was just one of those things that happen, an act of God, bad luck, etc. When in fact most car crashes are entirely preventable. An "accident" happens when there is a mechanical failure that causes the crash (tire blowing out, for example).

I happen to agree with this thinking - that using the term "accident" to describe something that was caused by some sort of human error is absolving the person of their responsibilities. Most crashes don't "just happen" - they happen because someone did something they shouldn't (or didn't do something they should have.) Obviously I'm not blaming the victims ... but they are often victims because of someone's action, or inaction... not just because of bad luck.

In the example of the ship.... if the reef had suddenly moved overnight (earthquake, for example) then that is bad luck and not foreseeable. An accident, by my terms.

In this case I believe that this tragedy was entirely preventable. It may have been bad luck for the victims - but it was not bad luck that put that ship where it was.... imo. Ships that size don't just wander off on their own.

We will still likely disagree about whether this an "accident", and that's fine. My aim is not to change your mind... just to explain why I don't think that word applies here.

What is important is that this shouldn't have happened.... and it appears that the captain of the ship has now been arrested for manslaughter. Don't know if this is routine, or whether the Italian police have some evidence they've uncovered.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 02:41 PM   #8
carlgo
macrumors 68000

It is not good for captains whose ships hit things.

Man, that ship is huge and so close to that little port. Will be interesting to see what happens salvage-wise. Looks like that could be a good subject for one of those industrial TV shows.
carlgo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 03:51 PM   #9
Votekinky06
macrumors 6502

Oh, they'll tip it up and repair it for sure, but there's a whole crew that's in big trouble.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 04:00 PM   #10
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

It's pretty rare that cruise ships or freighters sink due to anything other than navigational error these days. Usually it's due to some sort of negligence. conditions were calm and the area is familiar, and by all accounts (so far) the ship was in perfect operating condition. Still, I can hardly call it anything other than an accident, since one could hardly call it deliberate? An accident due to gross negligence is still an accident. In the end this is just a semantic debate.

The worst news is that the incident happened before the lifeboat drill took place, resulting in a disorganized disembarkation to the lifeboats. Despite the wrecking the deaths were probably preventable.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 04:50 PM   #11
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

An update...

Quote:
Within 24 hours of the accident, local prosecutors announced the arrest of the captain, Francesco Schettino, and first officer, Ciro Ambrosio. Italian media reported they could face charges of multiple homicide and having abandoned ship before all passengers were rescued.
The captain "approached Giglio Island in a very awkward way, hit a rock that stuck into its left side, making (the boat) list and take on a huge amount of water in the space of two or three minutes," Grosseto prosecutor Francesco Verusio told reporters.
Full Story Here
Moyank24 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 04:51 PM   #12
robbie12345
macrumors 6502

this is so sad i feel bad for ll those people who died and if u read the description below it it said the missing dropped to 40 people thankfully i hope it continues to drop and it ends up being 0 people missing
robbie12345 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:09 PM   #13
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

Some rescued passengers were taken to private homes, so the missing numbers will dwindle as more people are accounted for.

Still, the death toll could reach the dozens. A tragedy.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:12 PM   #14
Votekinky06
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Blackadder View Post
Some rescued passengers were taken to private homes, so the missing numbers will dwindle as more people are accounted for.

Still, the death toll could reach the dozens. A tragedy.
My thoughts go out to those who had loved ones on the ship and still haven't heard from them. This would be the last thing I was worried about on a cruise ship.
Votekinky06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 07:16 PM   #15
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

Apparently two people have been found alive below decks. Let's hope more of the missing people are found this way.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:35 PM   #16
BigPrince
macrumors 68020

the Captain wasn't the last off? He should be hung just for that.
BigPrince is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:20 AM   #17
malman89
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPrince View Post
the Captain wasn't the last off? He should be hung just for that.
Riiiiiiiight.

Old Machine: Late 2006 Model - 13.3" MacBook, 2 GHz C2D, 4 (3.3) GB RAM, 500 GB 7200rpm HD running OS X 10.6.8
malman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:36 AM   #18
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

The Captain was arrested and charged with manslaughter.

Another job for us Dutch 'Smit Tak' is already working on the ship.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:44 AM   #19
malman89
macrumors 65816

A third person was found on the ship today. Think the unaccounted for number is now at 15, while confirmed dead is 5. Sorry lost the story link, but the update was from The Guardian.

Old Machine: Late 2006 Model - 13.3" MacBook, 2 GHz C2D, 4 (3.3) GB RAM, 500 GB 7200rpm HD running OS X 10.6.8
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:30 PM   #20
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by malman89 View Post
A third person was found on the ship today. Think the unaccounted for number is now at 15, while confirmed dead is 5. Sorry lost the story link, but the update was from The Guardian.
Here is a link to the updated count.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/01...wreck-resumes/
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:48 PM   #21
malman89
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Here is a link to the updated count.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/01...wreck-resumes/
Interesting bit about the initial crew response at the end. I know they didn't want to alarm anyone, but just lying about the issue is wrong. If they had to do anything, just stall.

Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:43 PM   #22
BigPrince
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Riiiiiiiight.
The Captain is responsible for every life on board. It is his responsibility to ensure everyone gets off board. He can't best do that as he is fleeing the ship himself...

about 20 years ago their was a Greek ship which sank...the Captain and most of the crew left the ship without even being bothered to tell the passengers to evacuate....it was the Ship's musicians that ended up saving everyone...this is not behavior to be tolerated.
BigPrince is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:34 AM   #23
malman89
macrumors 65816

Doesn't mean you have to hang the guy.

malman89 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:42 AM   #24
arkitect
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Doesn't mean you have to hang the guy.
Of course not.

But the bucks stops with the captain and it would seems that his direct intervention caused the disaster and the loss of lives.

There seems to be mounting evidence that he changed course to sail as close as possible to the island to "show off his ship".

Quote:
Some witnesses said the ship was indulging the local population with a spectacular parade past the island in what is known locally as an ''inchino'' or reverent bow, with its upper decks ablaze with light as many of the passengers sat down to dinner.

Adding weight to the theory, the newspaper La Stampa yesterday published a letter dated last August in which Giglio's mayor Sergio Ortelli thanked the Concordia's captain for the ''incredible spectacle'' of a previous close pass.

The mayor told journalists on the island on Saturday that the normal route for cruise ships heading north from the port of Civitavecchia near Rome takes them to within three to five kilometres of Giglio.

''Many of them pass close to Giglio to salute the local population with blasts from their sirens.''

''It's a very nice show to see, the ship all lit up when you see it from the land. This time round it went wrong,'' said the mayor.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...#ixzz1jdzwKOjy
Link
arkitect is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:52 AM   #25
malman89
macrumors 65816

I have zero issue with the charge of abandoning ship or manslaughter or whatever. Just didn't see the point in hanging the guy.

malman89 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events