Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
FoxNews.com said:
Survivors from a luxury cruise ship that ran aground and tipped over, leaving at least three dead and 69 people still unaccounted for, described Saturday a chaotic evacuation, as plates and glasses crashed and they crawled along upended hallways trying to reach safety.

Three bodies were recovered from the sea after the Costa Concordia ran aground off the tiny island of Giglio near the coast of Tuscany late Friday, tearing a 160-foot gash in its hull and sending in a rush of water.

I hope they find all of the missing passengers alive.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/0...t-least-3-dead/?test=latestnews#ixzz1jRsZc6iT

Attachments

• Cruise.jpg
    Cruise.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 192

TheShinyMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2009
That's terrible. I really hope all the missing are reunited with their families.

I hope the three that died went peacefully.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
I have cruised multiple times, including with costa's parent company.
I almost booked a cruise for January 1 (Until I saw the price)
I hope they find the 69 people.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I'm very confused about how this could happen

That's easy.... the ship was where it wasn't supposed to be.

Why it was there is the hard question. But I suspect they will find there was a cascading failure. That is.... someone set a navigation device wrong, and the person who was supposed to double check didn't check it, and that the other navigation devices that were supposed to warn the bridge crew that they were in the wrong spot were either turned off or ignored. And that finally, the bridge crew were distracted or just not paying attention. It'll be something like that, imo.

There are too many safeguards for this kind of thing to happen with just a single failure.... many things have to go wrong. Often these are little things that individually don't appear to be critical.

I also predict they'll determine it was human error. Lack of attention, or lack of training - though probably both. Entirely preventable in any case.

I saw a photo of the gash in the side of the ship, and there are still rocks the size of trucks embedded in the hull. There is no way they will be able to claim that this was a sandbar that had developed recently and was not listed on the charts. I mention this, because the initial releases from the company keep insisted the ship hit a "sandbar". Sandbars that include truck sized rocks don't tend to move from spot to spot ... and yes, that was sarcasm.... like I said... imho this was an entirely preventable event. Not an "accident", which implies that it was just bad luck. /rant

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Not an "accident", which implies that it was just bad luck. /rant

It is an accident. Unless it was a deliberate act, it was an accident. No matter what caused it( distraction, system failure, human error, etc).

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
It is an accident. Unless it was a deliberate act, it was an accident. No matter what caused it( distraction, system failure, human error, etc).

With respect, I disagree...

Just scanned the dictionary meanings of accident, and they are more or less split between defining it as "bad luck" and preventable, vs a mishap that the victims could not have foreseen or prevented... so no point going there since we would just quote contradictory definitions....

However, in my part of the world the radio stations have (tried) to stop using the term "accidents" when talking about car crashes on the traffic reports. The rationale is that the term "accident" implies that it was just one of those things that happen, an act of God, bad luck, etc. When in fact most car crashes are entirely preventable. An "accident" happens when there is a mechanical failure that causes the crash (tire blowing out, for example).

I happen to agree with this thinking - that using the term "accident" to describe something that was caused by some sort of human error is absolving the person of their responsibilities. Most crashes don't "just happen" - they happen because someone did something they shouldn't (or didn't do something they should have.) Obviously I'm not blaming the victims ... but they are often victims because of someone's action, or inaction... not just because of bad luck.

In the example of the ship.... if the reef had suddenly moved overnight (earthquake, for example) then that is bad luck and not foreseeable. An accident, by my terms.

In this case I believe that this tragedy was entirely preventable. It may have been bad luck for the victims - but it was not bad luck that put that ship where it was.... imo. Ships that size don't just wander off on their own.

We will still likely disagree about whether this an "accident", and that's fine. My aim is not to change your mind... just to explain why I don't think that word applies here.

What is important is that this shouldn't have happened.... and it appears that the captain of the ship has now been arrested for manslaughter. Don't know if this is routine, or whether the Italian police have some evidence they've uncovered.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
It is not good for captains whose ships hit things.

Man, that ship is huge and so close to that little port. Will be interesting to see what happens salvage-wise. Looks like that could be a good subject for one of those industrial TV shows.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
It's pretty rare that cruise ships or freighters sink due to anything other than navigational error these days. Usually it's due to some sort of negligence. conditions were calm and the area is familiar, and by all accounts (so far) the ship was in perfect operating condition. Still, I can hardly call it anything other than an accident, since one could hardly call it deliberate? An accident due to gross negligence is still an accident. In the end this is just a semantic debate.

The worst news is that the incident happened before the lifeboat drill took place, resulting in a disorganized disembarkation to the lifeboats. Despite the wrecking the deaths were probably preventable.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
An update...

Within 24 hours of the accident, local prosecutors announced the arrest of the captain, Francesco Schettino, and first officer, Ciro Ambrosio. Italian media reported they could face charges of multiple homicide and having abandoned ship before all passengers were rescued.
The captain "approached Giglio Island in a very awkward way, hit a rock that stuck into its left side, making (the boat) list and take on a huge amount of water in the space of two or three minutes," Grosseto prosecutor Francesco Verusio told reporters.

Full Story Here

robbie12345

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
United States
this is so sad i feel bad for ll those people who died and if u read the description below it it said the missing dropped to 40 people thankfully i hope it continues to drop and it ends up being 0 people missing

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Some rescued passengers were taken to private homes, so the missing numbers will dwindle as more people are accounted for.

Still, the death toll could reach the dozens. A tragedy.

Votekinky06

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2011
Some rescued passengers were taken to private homes, so the missing numbers will dwindle as more people are accounted for.

Still, the death toll could reach the dozens. A tragedy.

My thoughts go out to those who had loved ones on the ship and still haven't heard from them. This would be the last thing I was worried about on a cruise ship.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
The Captain was arrested and charged with manslaughter.

Another job for us Dutch 'Smit Tak' is already working on the ship.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
A third person was found on the ship today. Think the unaccounted for number is now at 15, while confirmed dead is 5. Sorry lost the story link, but the update was from The Guardian.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
Riiiiiiiight.

The Captain is responsible for every life on board. It is his responsibility to ensure everyone gets off board. He can't best do that as he is fleeing the ship himself...

about 20 years ago their was a Greek ship which sank...the Captain and most of the crew left the ship without even being bothered to tell the passengers to evacuate....it was the Ship's musicians that ended up saving everyone...this is not behavior to be tolerated.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Doesn't mean you have to hang the guy.

Of course not.

But the bucks stops with the captain and it would seems that his direct intervention caused the disaster and the loss of lives.

There seems to be mounting evidence that he changed course to sail as close as possible to the island to "show off his ship".

Some witnesses said the ship was indulging the local population with a spectacular parade past the island in what is known locally as an ''inchino'' or reverent bow, with its upper decks ablaze with light as many of the passengers sat down to dinner.

Adding weight to the theory, the newspaper La Stampa yesterday published a letter dated last August in which Giglio's mayor Sergio Ortelli thanked the Concordia's captain for the ''incredible spectacle'' of a previous close pass.

The mayor told journalists on the island on Saturday that the normal route for cruise ships heading north from the port of Civitavecchia near Rome takes them to within three to five kilometres of Giglio.

''Many of them pass close to Giglio to salute the local population with blasts from their sirens.''

''It's a very nice show to see, the ship all lit up when you see it from the land. This time round it went wrong,'' said the mayor.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel...se-disaster-20120116-1q27o.html#ixzz1jdzwKOjy
Link

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I have zero issue with the charge of abandoning ship or manslaughter or whatever. Just didn't see the point in hanging the guy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.