Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 14, 2012, 03:04 PM   #1
beyondthesmile
macrumors 6502a

Can an iPad be hooked up to a projector?

Can an iPad be hooked up to a projector to show PowerPoint presentations, word documents, or media?

I hook up my MBP to an Epson projector at work via USB. Can this be done w/ the iPad? (Obviously not by USB...lol.)

When I show video clips from my MBP via the projector and hook up external speakers, I plug the speaker jack thing into the audio in/out on the MBP. Would that work the same way with the iPad, if I can, in fact, do this?
beyondthesmile is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 03:10 PM   #2
wrinkster22
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondthesmile View Post
Can an iPad be hooked up to a projector to show PowerPoint presentations, word documents, or media?

I hook up my MBP to an Epson projector at work via USB. Can this be done w/ the iPad? (Obviously not by USB...lol.)

When I show video clips from my MBP via the projector and hook up external speakers, I plug the speaker jack thing into the audio in/out on the MBP. Would that work the same way with the iPad, if I can, in fact, do this?
Yes.
Apple sells 30 pin connecter (the iPad connector) to vga
30 pin connector to HDMI
and 30 pin connector to component/composite

iPads (unless you have onlive) cant have powerpoint or word.
They have to have pages/keynote.
They can play tv shows/movies
Old Jan 14, 2012, 03:13 PM   #3
anthonymoody
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinkster22 View Post
Yes.
Apple sells 30 pin connecter (the iPad connector) to vga
30 pin connector to HDMI
and 30 pin connector to component/composite

iPads (unless you have onlive) cant have powerpoint or word.
They have to have pages/keynote.
They can play tv shows/movies
Btw - wondering - is the hdmi cable hdcp compliant? If so then I assume it would play iTunes proper content, but not user installed stuff? Too lazy to check Apple's website...
Old Jan 14, 2012, 03:24 PM   #4
wrinkster22
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Btw - wondering - is the hdmi cable hdcp compliant? If so then I assume it would play iTunes proper content, but not user installed stuff? Too lazy to check Apple's website...
I honestly dont know. Sorry
Old Jan 14, 2012, 03:33 PM   #5
sjinsjca
macrumors 65816

Sure! It's my preferred presentation platform-- and I give a lot of presentations. Keynote is the software you'll use, and it's wonderful. It absolutely spanks PowerPoint. Beautiful transitions, and the built in pointer is nifty. It's only real limitation is lack of support for embedded animations and videos. I find I don't really miss those.

I'm not aware of a USB connector though. I use the VGA dongle.
sjinsjca is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 04:05 PM   #6
beyondthesmile
macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys! I could get the 30 pin to HDMI connector then. Can I play any .mp4 files (i.e.: ipod/ipad formatted DVD/TV show rips) from the iPad to the projector? TIA
beyondthesmile is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:12 PM   #7
astral125
macrumors 6502

I know it is more money, but an Apple TV would be pretty sweet if your projector has HDMI. Airplay anything you want then wirelessly!
astral125 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:52 PM   #8
Bolo4u
macrumors member

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but Im glad I found it. I will look for the dongle to adapt the iPad to a projector. However, my question focuses on the presentation file itself. I have online, cloud on, and dropbox, but I haven't yet installed Keynote. I understand the idea of uploading the presentation file(s) (Powerpoint) to a cloud/dropbox for later 'downloading'. However I will be doing some presentations in areas where I will not have any coverage (wi-fi or cellular). Is there a program that will store the files I need for presentations on the iPad directly when I don't have any coverage. I have readdledocs for some PDF files i need.
Bolo4u is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 08:02 AM   #9
BrennerM
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but Im glad I found it. I will look for the dongle to adapt the iPad to a projector. However, my question focuses on the presentation file itself. I have online, cloud on, and dropbox, but I haven't yet installed Keynote. I understand the idea of uploading the presentation file(s) (Powerpoint) to a cloud/dropbox for later 'downloading'. However I will be doing some presentations in areas where I will not have any coverage (wi-fi or cellular). Is there a program that will store the files I need for presentations on the iPad directly when I don't have any coverage. I have readdledocs for some PDF files i need.
Load it in Pages, save a copy within Pages, then you can use it anywhere with or without a connection.

Note to all: depending on the complexity of your Powerpoint slides, it may require some adjustment to work perfectly within Pages, as the feature sets are not identical between Powerpoint and Pages.
BrennerM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 09:33 AM   #10
blesio
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondthesmile View Post
Thanks guys! I could get the 30 pin to HDMI connector then. Can I play any .mp4 files (i.e.: ipod/ipad formatted DVD/TV show rips) from the iPad to the projector? TIA
I play movies in m4v made with Handbrake from mkv files without any problems using the 30pin to HDMI connector from Apple, they work on iPhone 4, iPhone 4s iPad 1 and iPad 2
blesio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:06 AM   #11
Bolo4u
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrennerM View Post
Load it in Pages, save a copy within Pages, then you can use it anywhere with or without a connection.

Note to all: depending on the complexity of your Powerpoint slides, it may require some adjustment to work perfectly within Pages, as the feature sets are not identical between Powerpoint and Pages.
Thanks for the info, but do you mean Pages or Keynote, since it is a PowerPoint presentation???
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:09 AM   #12
Menel
macrumors 601

iPad airplay mirroring to AppleTV2 -> Projector would be wireless and sweet.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:36 AM   #13
BrennerM
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo4u View Post
Thanks for the info, but do you mean Pages or Keynote, since it is a PowerPoint presentation???
Yeah I meant Keynote, sorry.
BrennerM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:57 AM   #14
Bolo4u
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrennerM View Post
Yeah I meant Keynote, sorry.
Excellent... Thank you

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad