Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:10 AM   #1
hutchingsp
macrumors newbie

Question Mac Mini as a NAS/Server?

I've just got a WD TV Live. Right now I have it hooked up to a USB HDD, but longer term some kind of NAS would be nice as it would have uses outside of the WD TV.

Anyway, as I have my current USB HDD, and a Lacie 2Big Triple which has 2 drive bays and is USB or Firewire, I was wondering whether it would be possible/practical to hang it off my old G4 Mini in the garage/spare room with the Triple attached?

The Mini doesn't have wifi so I'd be looking to connect it over ethernet to a powerline network adaptor and have it come out where the router is.

I've no idea what the limitations may be on that age of Mini - it's been sat in the loft for 4 years I think

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by hutchingsp; Jan 15, 2012 at 09:20 AM.
hutchingsp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:08 AM   #2
DustinT
macrumors 68000

You'll be fine using something like that for a NAS or basic server. It's got more than enough processing power to max out your network connection. Go for it!

My townhouse could pass for a well stocked Apple store.
DustinT is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini