Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:18 AM   #1
Firestar
macrumors 68020

Should boys be able to hit girls?

I personally think that if someone deserves to be hit, they should be hit, regardless of gender. The fact that that they're not male shouldn't deter that. What is defined as deserving probably differs between people.

Please tell what you think about this issue, and explain your reasoning or quote someone else's.

Mods: If you think this belongs in PRSI, please move it, as this could possibly be considered a Social Issue.

Edit: I guess you don't understand what I'm saying. I do not mean serious physical violence. By hitting I mean casually and lightly.

Last edited by Firestar; Jan 15, 2012 at 10:27 AM.
Firestar is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:20 AM   #2
einmusiker
macrumors 68020

this won't end well
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:25 AM   #3
wrinkster22
macrumors 68030

I agree.
Lots of females say they should be treated equally yet,
-we cant hit them
-they (at least around me) are not as courteous (hold doors open, good manners)

The whole "equals" thing is garbage in my opinion.

That is not to say that all are this way, some I beleive would not mine equal punishment
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:35 AM   #4
boy-better-know
macrumors 65816

The only reason ever to hit anyone, man or woman, is to stop them from hurting you or someone you care about. If everyone lived by this logic, the world would be a much, much, much better place.
boy-better-know is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:38 AM   #5
quagmire
macrumors 603

Only in defense of myself or someone I care about( but that really goes for hitting anyone).
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is online now   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:41 AM   #6
chrf097
macrumors 68030

Girl hits Guy - No one cares. Guy sucks it up and Girl is satisfied.

Guy Hits Girl - Society FREAKS. Guy is jailed and sent to anger management for a few years. Girl is sheltered at an abuse clinic then sent to therapy for a year.

I have MANY more examples for many different situations of this.

chrf097 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:41 AM   #7
Plutonius
macrumors 601

but what about hitting on ?
Plutonius is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:43 AM   #8
wrinkster22
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrf097 View Post

Guy Hits Girl - Society FREAKS. Guy is jailed and sent to anger management for a few years. Girl is sheltered at an abuse clinic then sent to therapy for a year.

This is what I was trying to explain about how they want to be treated as equals..
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:47 AM   #9
boy-better-know
macrumors 65816

Men and women are programmed differently, perfect equality is not possible.
boy-better-know is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:49 AM   #10
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy-better-know View Post
Men and women are programmed differently, perfect equality is not possible.
So shouldn't' that be reflected in society and our laws?

Can't have your cake and eat it too.
eric/ is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:13 AM   #11
Daffodil
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy-better-know View Post
The only reason ever to hit anyone, man or woman, is to stop them from hurting you or someone you care about. If everyone lived by this logic, the world would be a much, much, much better place.
^This. I don't go around hitting people, nor do I expect to be hit either... I suppose in a desperate situation, I'd try to defend myself, but I disagree with the OP's premise of hitting people who "deserve to be hit." Physical violence is not the answer.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:14 AM   #12
Firestar
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
^This. I don't go around hitting people, nor do I expect to be hit either... I suppose in a desperate situation, I'd try to defend myself, but I disagree with the OP's premise of hitting people who "deserve to be hit." Physical violence is not the answer.
I think sometimes physical violence is sometimes the answer. Like I said, our idea of 'deserving' may conflict and/or differ.

Edit: By physical violence I don't mean beating the crap out of someone. I've never actually hit someone seriously, I mean lightly hitting them.

Firestar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:16 AM   #13
Daffodil
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestar View Post
I think sometimes physical violence is sometimes the answer. Like I said, our idea of 'deserving' may conflict and/or differ.
What sort of situation are you talking about here? Honestly, I can't think of a single regularly recurring situation in my life where physical violence has any place. (Though maybe that reflects more on me... )
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:17 AM   #14
Hellhammer

Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
Quote:
Can you be more specific, then?

IMO violence is only acceptable in case of self-defense, including defending someone you care about. And defending means that you were violently attacked first.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:22 AM   #15
maril1111
macrumors 68000

I think violence in any case regardless of why, should not happen, self-defense is something that may be an exception but in quite a few of cases it can't be proven if the person was simply defending themselves or just trying to get away with less punishment-in case of going in front of a judge.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:23 AM   #16
Firestar
macrumors 68020

Quote:
What sort of situation are you talking about here? Honestly, I can't think of a single regularly recurring situation in my life where physical violence has any place. (Though maybe that reflects more on me... )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellhammer View Post
Can you be more specific, then?

IMO violence is only acceptable in case of self-defense, including defending someone you care about. And defending means that you were violently attacked first.
See my edit. I don't think extreme physical violence is the answer in any case except self defense.

Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:24 AM   #17
Happybunny
macrumors 68000

Speaking as a father and grandfather, if some body hit one of my princess. (it would go down hill very quickly.)
I would ambush the bastard with a 12 gauge, fire 2 rounds of 00 Shot in the legs, with the scum screaming on the ground, I would pour petrol over his body and set him on fire. And watch him die.

On the plus side I would not piss on the body.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:29 AM   #18
quagmire
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybunny View Post
Speaking as a father and grandfather, if some body hit one of my princess. (it would go down hill very quickly.)
I would ambush the bastard with a 12 gauge, fire 2 rounds of 00 Shot in the legs, with the scum screaming on the ground, I would pour petrol over his body and set him on fire. And watch him die.

What if she was the one who started it first and the guy was merely defending himself?

Obviously, self-defense doesn't give me the right to beat the girl to a bloody pulp. Only the force necessary for self-defense is needed.
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:29 AM   #19
maril1111
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Just wondering, (theoretical question) if your daughter hit the said person first (without the person doing anything) and gets lightly slapped by the other party you would kill them?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:31 AM   #20
anjinha
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrf097 View Post

If a girl hit a guy to the point where he had cracked ribs, a black eye, broken lip, bloody nose, etc. I can guarantee you she wouldn't get away with it.

Usually the cases you see of a girl hitting a guy it's at most a slap, not that that's ok either, but there's a big difference between that and beating someone up.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:31 AM   #21
Firestar
macrumors 68020

Quote:

What if some body hit one of your 'princes' (if you don't have any, then theoretically)?

Firestar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:35 AM   #22
iJohnHenry
Banned

Should boys be able to hit girls?

Boys? Girls?

Ladies don't hit. They have no need, devious little things that they are. ♥

Men don't hit Women. If necessary, they restrain them, although today's Woman is far removed from one in say the 18th Century.

If they then start trying to kick you in the nads, I say drop them. Solar Plexus will do. Knock the wind out of them. No need to damage their face.

(See you all in PRSI, later.)
iJohnHenry is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:38 AM   #23
Daffodil
macrumors 6502

Quote:
See my edit. I don't think extreme physical violence is the answer in any case except self defense.
Perhaps our misunderstanding comes down to semantics? When you say you want to be able to "hit" girls, that's pretty ambiguous.

To me, it sounded like girl does X, then you punch her, cause she deserves it. Like, you're in a really bad fight with a soon-to-be ex-gf and you hit her. I take it that's not what you actually meant, because at least to me, that falls under physical violence (tacking on "extreme" seems extraneous, since violence is a strong term already)...

But then what are you actually talking about? If I'm joking around with a friend, and he playfully punches my shoulder (lightly enough that it doesn't hurt), that's no big deal. If that's what the OP is referring to, I guess girls around your parts are different if they get all snippy over it... I certainly can't imagine the sort of reaction chrf097 or wrinkster22 mention from a light tap.

But if you're somewhere in between these examples, could you please be more specific? Girl does X and you "hit" her. What is X? Where/how hard do you hit? To me, joking around is fine, but if you're actually expressing your emotions, that's crossing a line.

(Sorry if this seems a little pedantic, just trying to understand your position...)
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:40 AM   #24
fireshot91
macrumors 601

I don't really think so. Unless they do something such as harm somebody else, I don't use violence.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:41 AM   #25
Firestar
macrumors 68020

Quote:
But then what are you actually talking about? If I'm joking around with a friend, and he playfully punches my shoulder (lightly enough that it doesn't hurt), that's no big deal. If that's what the OP is referring to, I guess girls around your parts are different if they get all snippy over it... I certainly can't imagine the sort of reaction chrf097 or wrinkster22 mention from a light tap.
Joking around with a friend is what I'm talking about. I'm not saying that they do get angry, I'm asking if they boys should be able to hit girls (still in a jokingly way).

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues