Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Jan 15, 2012, 02:37 PM   #1
SRLMJ23
macrumors 6502a

Apparently you CANT uninstall Spotify??

I've tried both moving it to the Trash and holding down until the "X" comes up on Apps which Spotify doesn't have an "X"....I'm new to Mac's so if someone could tell me another way to uninstall this app it would be great!! Thank You in advance!
Old Jan 15, 2012, 02:39 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
Best way to FULLY DELETE a program
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:08 PM   #3
thundersteele
macrumors 68030

what happens when you move it to the trash?
thundersteele is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:26 PM   #4
SRLMJ23
macrumors 6502a

It goes back to it's spot in the Launch Pad section.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:34 PM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRLMJ23 View Post
It goes back to it's spot in the Launch Pad section.
Have you tried what I suggested?
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:00 PM   #6
tyrell456
macrumors member

Are you solely trying to delete it through Launchpad? If so, that's your problem. Use Finder and navigate to the Applications folder (or use the short cut Shift+Cmd+A) and delete it from there.

I honestly think that Launchpad is only creating more confusion for newer users and switchers than it's solving. The whole disconnect between the applications folder and the Launchpad UI creates problems like this that really shouldn't exist.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:15 PM   #7
SRLMJ23
macrumors 6502a

I did get it deleted through finder, thank you so much for your responses!!
Old Jul 13, 2012, 03:07 PM   #8
jcanino20
macrumors newbie

Removing Spotify

The following worked for me. It took a while, so be patient.

Install AppDelete: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23149/appdelete/ (It’s $7.99, but well worth the money)

Install Shredder widget (free): http://www.interdimensionmedia.com/widgets/index.html

=================

Launch AppDelete

From your Applications folder, drag the Spotify icon onto AppDelete. This will cause AppDelete to find all of Spotify’s associated files and move them to the trash. Choose to move files to the trash when prompted.

OPEN your trash folder, but DO NOT DELETE the folder. You will end up in a loop that doesn’t go anywhere. MOVE the AppDelete Spotify folder to your Desktop.

Click and hold on the folder and press F4 (on a MacBook Pro) which will show your widgets, and drop the folder on the Shredder widget. (Be sure to read the instructions on the download page for Shredder). This may take a long time (possibly up to an hour - I used the highest security setting, with 35 passes), so just let it run...
jcanino20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 03:27 PM   #9
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanino20 View Post
From your Applications folder, drag the Spotify icon onto AppDelete. This will cause AppDelete to find all of Spotify’s associated files and move them to the trash.
Your method doesn't work completely, because in most cases, app removal software such as AppDelete doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. Read the 2nd post of this thread, which is the only method that can remove all traces of apps, and was used successfully by the OP 6 months ago. There is also absolutely no need to use the Shredder app, as using Finder's Secure Empty Trash completely removes the files.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion