Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Jan 10, 2002, 08:32 PM   #1
rekras
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to rekras
mac myths

http://www.apple.com/myths/

god bless jobs, he first puts out the new imac (a beautiful hunk of computer that PC users drool over), now he finishes them with this !!!! It canít be denied that Microsoft has made a good business out of copying the innovative Mac OS. And, truth be told, Windows XP is their best effort to date. But Mac OS X has sent them back to the drawing boards".
GOD I LOVE APPLE

Last edited by rekras; Jan 10, 2002 at 08:35 PM.
rekras is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2002, 09:25 PM   #2
GigaWire
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It canít be denied that Microsoft has made a good business out of copying the innovative Mac OS.
That's a rather brash statement. What a saucy thing for Apple to say. I like it
GigaWire is offline   0
Old Jan 10, 2002, 10:37 PM   #3
cplmd
macrumors member

Where have I seen this before......?

Kinda reminds me of the "Linux Myths" pages that Microsoft publishes on their web site.

It's actually nice to see Apple kick a lil sand in ol' Bill's eye - but don't get too smug Apple workers - Microsoft has bought some big names in the computer science / user interface research areas and $1 billion will buy them some innovation - don't let the reality distortion field blind you - give us a decent MAC handheld and something to get that home network under control.
Old Jan 10, 2002, 11:24 PM   #4
G4scott
macrumors 68020

Cool Kick some M$ @$$

Go Apple!

Show M$ who's boss.

That page should be required reading for all computer users everywhere. There should be a law that keeps PC companies from using unfair and false propaganda to promote their products. M$ and intel would be screwed
Old Jan 11, 2002, 05:43 AM   #5
Phaedrus
macrumors member

Quote from cplmd:

"It's actually nice to see Apple kick a lil sand in ol' Bill's eye - but don't get too smug Apple workers - Microsoft has bought some big names in the computer science / user interface research areas and $1 billion will buy them some innovation - don't let the reality distortion field blind you - give us a decent MAC handheld and something to get that home network under control."

Take heed, and viva la mac!

Samuel Johnson
Phaedrus is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2002, 11:36 AM   #6
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus

Thumbs up oh hell yeah!

I like it!
eyelikeart is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2002, 12:53 PM   #7
agreenster
macrumors 68000

Mac OS vs WinOS

Apple actually went to court with Microsoft over this issue years ago. Apple claimed that Windows was an indirect copy of Apple's OS.

Anyway, the judge finally ruled that Microsoft didnt steal the OS from Apple, but Xerox, who was using a 'window' driven GUI (instead of code) for their printing systems, along with a mouse. Apple had actually done a bit of research with Xerox as well, and the judge ruled that BOTH of them really didnt innovate the GUI. Xerox never went to court with either of them.

However, Apple WAS the first DESKTOP computer company to popularize the GUI, and Microsoft just played catch-up for the first couple years. I think that is why Apple reps. claim they came up with it first. They didnt actually 'invent' the GUI, they just made it practical and useful to the masses.

To use an analogy, Xerox 'discovered' fire, so Apple built the fireplace.

SO, no. Microsoft didnt REALLY steal the idea from Apple. Apple visualized desktop/home computing using Xerox's GUI idea, and Microsoft just jumped on the new bandwagon after Apple did. Now, however, if you ever hear people talk, it was Microsoft who innovated this entire thing, when really they were the last ones to do it. Kinda like hearing Al Gore say he invented the internet.......

I still think, however, that Apple always did, and continues to produce the easiest, cleanest, and certainly best-looking OS out there. Now, its a bit more powerful with Unix under the hood, but some hard core programmers would still tell you that their Unix still has a long way to go. I just want OSX to go FASTER.

Last edited by agreenster; Jan 11, 2002 at 01:03 PM.
agreenster is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2002, 01:50 PM   #8
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus

Lightbulb here's another way to see it...

http://eshop.macsales.com/Tech/index...=MHz_Myth.html

17 MB video explaining it....
Old Jan 11, 2002, 02:29 PM   #9
evildead
macrumors 65816

haha

Steve has been a little fire cracker lately. The Adobe comments at MWSF... now this! Didnt he make some Comment to TIME after they let the iMac slip?

Thats great that Apple is being a little agressive about this sort of thing
Old Jan 11, 2002, 02:38 PM   #10
Unregistered

I think it should go like this:

5. Myth: Windows has caught up with the Mac.
Fact: Windows is ****.
Old Jan 11, 2002, 02:40 PM   #11
amichalo
macrumors regular

www.whytheylie.com

Those of you in IT networking roles may have gotten a postcard from Novel in the mail. If you haven't, then check out www.whytheylie.com.

This little Internet Gem is an actual Novel site dedicated to disproving our friends in Redmond. I love it that Novel, Apple, and RedHat (see latest article at http://www.cio.com/archive/010102/shop.html) are raising arms against Microsoft.
Old Jan 11, 2002, 02:46 PM   #12
MacUser1
macrumors 6502

Thumbs up Great web page!

I Love It!
Old Jan 11, 2002, 03:00 PM   #13
Have Some Aphex Acid

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
I think it should go like this:

5. Myth: Windows has caught up with the Mac.
Fact: Windows is ****.

that made me LOL.
Old Jan 11, 2002, 03:15 PM   #14
mischief
macrumors 68030

LOL

I want that on a bumper sticker!!!!!!!!!!!!
mischief is offline   0
Old Jan 11, 2002, 03:18 PM   #15
Unregistered

Apple's webpage is great. I just began a new job this week and my manager asked me to assemble a technology wish list (and I've worked with him before, he actually takes my advice seriously.) The first item on my list was switching all of our departments computers (currently crap Compaq notebooks on Win2K) to Titanium PowerBooks running OS-X. I'm going to e-mail the Myths link to my boss as a pre-emptive strike against the IT department's objections.
Old Jan 11, 2002, 03:45 PM   #16
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus

Re: LOL

Quote:
Originally posted by mischief
I want that on a bumper sticker!!!!!!!!!!!!
maybe we can get a hold of some bumper stickers or just nice vinyl stickers that say "Think Different"
Old Jan 11, 2002, 04:57 PM   #17
Unregistered

Not quite

Quote:
Originally posted by agreenster
(...)Anyway, the judge finally ruled that Microsoft didnt steal the OS from Apple, but Xerox, who was using a 'window' driven GUI (instead of code) for their printing systems, along with a mouse. Apple had actually done a bit of research with Xerox as well, and the judge ruled that BOTH of them really didnt innovate the GUI. Xerox never went to court with either of them.

However, Apple WAS the first DESKTOP computer company to popularize the GUI, and Microsoft just played catch-up for the first couple years. I think that is why Apple reps. claim they came up with it first. They didnt actually 'invent' the GUI, they just made it practical and useful to the masses.

To use an analogy, Xerox 'discovered' fire, so Apple built the fireplace. (...)
Apple SAW a GUI at XEROX, and Jobs had his vision: All computers will in time use a graphical user interface. No one at Apple had any idea how the XEROX machine worked. They had to invent a GUI based OS all by them self. Microsoft on the other hand, not only saw what both XEROX and Apple was doing, they got the see much of the source code for Mac OS! (They were supposed to write apps for the Mac, and had to know how it worked)

So, Apple may have gotten the idea from XEROX, but about everything from menus, point-and-click, folders and so on, WERE APPLES INVENTIONS!!! If you set up a XEROX, a Mac Plus and a 386 running Win 3.11, and then compare the OSes and how they function, the XEROX will look like an alien OS, while the 386 will look strinkingly similar to the Mac (although much more ugly)...

And so, back to the topic...
It's great that Apple puts up a page like this. Really cool! Now we Mac pepole can do your part, by sniking in to our boss' office and set this page as the default homepage on his (or hers) Windoze box!
Old Jan 11, 2002, 04:58 PM   #18
crassusad44
macrumors 6502a

Not quite

Quote:
Originally posted by agreenster
(...)Anyway, the judge finally ruled that Microsoft didnt steal the OS from Apple, but Xerox, who was using a 'window' driven GUI (instead of code) for their printing systems, along with a mouse. Apple had actually done a bit of research with Xerox as well, and the judge ruled that BOTH of them really didnt innovate the GUI. Xerox never went to court with either of them.

To use an analogy, Xerox 'discovered' fire, so Apple built the fireplace. (...)
Apple SAW a GUI at XEROX, and Jobs had his vision: All computers will in time use a graphical user interface. No one at Apple had any idea how the XEROX machine worked. They had to invent a GUI based OS all by them self. Microsoft on the other hand, not only saw what both XEROX and Apple was doing, they got the see much of the source code for Mac OS! (They were supposed to write apps for the Mac, and had to know how it worked)

So, Apple may have gotten the idea from XEROX, but about everything from menus, point-and-click, folders and so on, WERE APPLES INVENTIONS!!! If you set up a XEROX, a Mac Plus and a 386 running Win 3.11, and then compare the OSes and how they function, the XEROX will look like an alien OS, while the 386 will look strinkingly similar to the Mac (although much more ugly)...

And so, back to the topic...
It's great that Apple puts up a page like this. Really cool! Now we Mac pepole can do your part, by sniking in to our boss' office and set this page as the default homepage on his (or hers) Windoze box!
downtime leads to suffering.
XP is the path to the darkside.
crassusad44 is offline   0
Old Feb 17, 2002, 05:29 PM   #19
Hemingray
macrumors 68030

Re: Not quite

Quote:
Originally posted by crassusad44
Now we Mac pepole can do your part, by sniking in to our boss' office and set this page as the default homepage on his (or hers) Windoze box!
Excellent idea!! Oh, wait... both my bosses use Macs...
Hemingray is offline   0
Old Feb 17, 2002, 06:18 PM   #20
Durandal7
macrumors 68040

Anyone have the link for the "Linux Myths" site? I'm up for a laugh and reading about how WinNT is more secure then Linux seems like the perfect joke.
Durandal7 is offline   0
Old Feb 18, 2002, 12:09 AM   #21
Choppaface
macrumors 65816

they should add on the page how jobs got the ipod to work at macworld
Choppaface is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion