Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:05 PM   #1
milo
macrumors 603

iTunes library playback via Roku?

Apologies if this is off topic, but I figured someone here probably has done this.

With a roku box, is there a way to play back music from a local computer's iTunes library? And I'd really like to be able to use existing iTunes playlists including smart playlists as well as ratings and play counts.

Is there anything that does that? The only roku/itunes thing I've seen in my searching is some sort of cloud service which I don't need. I'm using Plex for video and it's fantastic - looks like they're working on music support but still a ways off so I'd like to find something that works in the meantime.

Thanks in advance.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:35 AM   #2
dnelms
macrumors regular

This used to work on the Roku.... http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=31915

It does require that you install the Squeezebox server to serve the itunes library. It worked well.

I've got three Rokus, but when I got an ATV2 also, I took the MainSqueeze channel off. The link above will direct you to a Roku forum thread.
dnelms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:04 AM   #3
milo
macrumors 603

Thanks for the info. Did you have it set up to exchange things like play counts and ratings with iTunes and how well did that work?
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 04:44 AM   #4
dnelms
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
Thanks for the info. Did you have it set up to exchange things like play counts and ratings with iTunes and how well did that work?
All I remember is it read your iTunes library. As to what it used from that library I could not tell you. I used it to get my music to the Roku, never used play counts or ratings (Still don't even on the ATV2).
dnelms is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater