Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 16, 2012, 03:54 PM   #1
harryhood
macrumors regular

How to migrate from IMAP to POP

I have a few IMAP email addresses and they are all full. I need to keep all the emails, if I delete them from the server - it deletes them from my computer.. they are synced.

Is there any way to change this?

Or how can I change them all from IMAP to POP? Can I do it through the preexisting accounts or do I have to start new accounts?

I am using APPLE Mail

Help is much appreciated.

Last edited by harryhood; Jan 16, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
harryhood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:11 PM   #2
SumoHamster
macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure which e-mail program you're using, but you should be able to create a local folder on your machine, like an "on my mac" folder. Then copy the IMAP messages to that (or those if you made multiple folders for organizational purposes) and then remove from the IMAP server(s). Please verify the messages are indeed in your local folder prior to deleting them from your IMAP accounts!
SumoHamster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:12 PM   #3
harryhood
macrumors regular

Ah, sorry I should have clarified - I am using Apple Mail.

I just drag and drop the emails from the Apple Mail Client into whatever designated folders, delete the accounts and recreate them as POP?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:20 PM   #4
SumoHamster
macrumors 6502a

Personally, I'd keep using IMAP and just save mail into your local folders as needed.. unless you only ever check your mail from one machine.

I haven't tried it, but I would think you could create a POP version of your accounts and upon connection to the POP server, it would probably download everything automatically to your computer. I believe that's the default behavior, though it can be modified to leave mail on the server.. which doesn't seem like it'd help you since your IMAP accounts are full.

Once everything has downloaded via your POP connections and you've verified all your mail is safely on your computer, you should just be able to delete the IMAP accounts.
SumoHamster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2012, 09:45 AM   #5
robgendreau
macrumors 68000

Depends on whether you want to lose your email address.

I haven't checked, but I doubt iCloud will do POP (you said you use Apple Mail, which is an application, but I'm guessing you also use MobileMe). So even if you could switch in MobileMe you are going to lose that functionality. And POP is increasingly rare because it's not very useful for mobile users.

The solution is as stated: copy mail to local mailboxes. That's what that "On My Mac" default mailbox is there for. And then do yourself a favor and set up an ongoing system to archive the email; it's easier that way. Or buy more storage space online.

You could also look at archiving solutions like MailSteward; it's designed for just this problem.
robgendreau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2012, 09:51 AM   #6
Macman45
macrumors G5

I second that, you would be better off sticking with imap. If you find Applemail limiting, try Thunderbird, it's free, and easy to configure.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:05 AM   #7
interrobang
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoHamster View Post
Personally, I'd keep using IMAP and just save mail into your local folders as needed.. unless you only ever check your mail from one machine.
This is what you should be doing. The POP model just doesn't work well in the days of multiple devices. Archive your older mail periodically on your machine(s) if you have to, but there's no reason to switch to POP.
interrobang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2012, 05:07 PM   #8
harryhood
macrumors regular

Thanks a bunch guys. So I just simply create a new mailbox in the "On My Mac" section in Apple Mail and drag and drop everything I want to save in there? I can then delete them from my "live" inbox and outbox and they will all save there? Is there any other way I should save and back things up or is that sufficient?

I simply created two new mailboxes "Inbox (SAVED)" and "Outbox (SAVED)" and dragged and dropped each into those.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store