Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
2012 looks like Apple will have a lot of competition, namely in the from of cheaper 7.x" tables, since the 10" Android ones are not even scratching the iPad world.

Consider the volume sales of Kindle Fire ($200) and new quad core Asus Memo 370T that packs a lot of power for a 7" tablet for $250. That and a lot of other tablets.

Android is improving still, smartening up from 2011's failures.

I am sure the future iPad 3 will start at $499 with iPad 2 still in production for $399, but the price pressure is building against iPad, a surprise is in store for 2012.

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
I think people have gotten too used to the price drops on the subsidized iPhones. Who knows how much of those price cuts hit apple and how much hit the carrier. Instead you should be looking at apple's laptops and iPods - there, price drops are smaller and fewer, and reflect actual drops in Apple's costs rather than market pressure.

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
People keep mentioning that the iPad 2 might stick around with a lower price point. With current stories of iPad 3 production going into full-on mode ahead of its anticipated release, one would hope there might be mention (either presently or in the near future) of whether or not iPad 2 production is being slowed down.

cbrad82

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2012
In my opinion, I just can't see them manufacturing the same amount of Ipad2's as ipad3's.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
iPad 2 16GB: $399
IPad 3 16GB or 32GB: $499

+1

I don't see the price coming down. When is the last time Apple lowered the price on one of its new products? Besides, the iPad doesn't compete with other tablets in price, it competes by being better.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
+1

I don't see the price coming down. When is the last time Apple lowered the price on one of its new products? Besides, the iPad doesn't compete with other tablets in price, it competes by being better.

And you think the competition will sit and not do anything?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think apple's best move is not to be suckered into a price war. If you want a cheaper tablet then buy another brand. There are still plenty of people willing to pay top dollar for a premium product. :)

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
People keep mentioning that the iPad 2 might stick around with a lower price point. With current stories of iPad 3 production going into full-on mode ahead of its anticipated release, one would hope there might be mention (either presently or in the near future) of whether or not iPad 2 production is being slowed down.

Apple is continuing to sell iPhone 4 and 3GS alongside flagship iPhone 4S. I don't see why they can't do the same for iPad..

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Apple is continuing to sell iPhone 4 and 3GS alongside flagship iPhone 4S. I don't see why they can't do the same for iPad..

I'm not meaning to say that it sounds likely or unlikely. I just wish that reports on [rumored] current production rates would also give some indication on whether iPad 2 production is slowing or not. If they do stop making iPad 2s, I wonder how rapidly and how soon before the new model is announced iPad 2 production might start dwindling down.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Those who think the iPad 3 will be cheaper . . . well you are just hoping!:p

The new iPad will have plenty of new features and the demand will be through the roof!

Why would they discount them! That would be stupid!

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I could see them doing like what they do with the Iphone 3g and sell the Ipad 2 for less money as an entry level Ipad, there's precedent for that and that could happen.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
And you think the competition will sit and not do anything?
They have been saying the same thing about the iPhone. I don't see the prices coming down: heck, in almost every country except for the United States prices have gone up for the iPhone.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

You can't see the difference between a phone that has a $300+ carrier subsidy and a device that's unsubsidized? Really?

applephanatic

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
Everywhere you aren't
I don't think that Apple will be lowering the price. I firmly believe that the only reason the iPod Touch was sold at a reduced price was because it was old technology (in the terms of dual core and now quad core) and selling the iPod at a base price of $229 would of been besides possibly bad for business, sort of a scummy thing to do (mainly do to the fact that people would still pay the prices)

The iPad 3 will be $499. But if you look what you "MIGHT" be getting I would say $499 would be a pretty decent price. Besides having iOS which for me is a HUGE selling feature. You will be gaining most likely a faster dual core processor or even a quad core processor! Possibly a Retina display and more ram (HOPEFULLY!) Eventually my hope is to see Apple completely get rid of the 16GB model and introduce a 128GB model. The 16GB model is sort of useless IMO. This is do to the fact that many iPad apps are HUGE!!!

I do believe however that the iPad 2 will be kept and sold along side the iPad 3 and YES if this happend, you will see the iPad 2 being sold for $450 or maybe even $399.

Hope this helped

Cheers:apple:

jekyl

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
Mid-Michigan
I can see them dropping the price on the iPad2 slightly and pricing the iPad3 higher than the current iPad2 points. It sounds like a premium device and lowering the iPad2 pricing a bit will be enough to keep Apple competitive.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
You can't see the difference between a phone that has a $300+ carrier subsidy and a device that's unsubsidized? Really?

Apple will have recovered R&D, marketing and other costs, so they can still make a good profit by selling it for $100 less. The main reason would be to compete with cheaper Android alternatives like Asus Trasformer(especially Kindle Fire).

BioOrganism

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2012
Denmark
Oh god. I'm currently saving up for the iPad 2 and I won't reach the right amount before March (the month where the iPad is said to release). But if the iPad 3 will be more expensive....fuuuuuuuuffufuuuuu:eek:

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Apple will have recovered R&D, marketing and other costs, so they can still make a good profit by selling it for $100 less. The main reason would be to compete with cheaper Android alternatives like Asus Trasformer(especially Kindle Fire).

Do you really think that Apple is worried about competing with the likes of the Kindle Fire?:confused:

Are YOU considering the Kindle Fire?:eek:

I know it is not on my list:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.