Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unoplayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
Boot Camp Assistant took a long time partitioning my hard drive, so I took a shower and when I came back, there was a black screen with a horizontal flashing cursor. I shut down my Mac by holding the power button.

Now I want to install Windows but do not know where to boot from. When I hold the option key at startup, I am given two boot options from my DVD, EFI or Windows. Which one do I select?

Fishcake21

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
Boot Camp Assistant took a long time partitioning my hard drive, so I took a shower and when I came back, there was a black screen with a horizontal flashing cursor. I shut down my Mac by holding the power button.

Now I want to install Windows but do not know where to boot from. When I hold the option key at startup, I am given two boot options from my DVD, EFI or Windows. Which one do I select?

Chances are you have an older macbook pro that doesn't support the new EFI standard boots that the Windows 7 discs now have installed.
There are 2 ways to fix this, see if you can grab an older version of windows 7 installation disc (before the Sp1), or using another Windows machine and imgburn you have to do some file modification and install boot loader.

I forgot how to do it though :(

Bloodsmasher

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2012
Australia
Whenever something stuffs up, I'll clear the PRAM (Command, Option, P, R). Then when it restarts hold down option to go to the boot menu and choose the WIndows external device. Proceed with setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.