Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

callum23

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2011
Hey I'm going to buy a pair of beats by dr.dre studio edition but I want to know if they were the best pair for the money I'm paying.
Thanks

xdbuix

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
Virginia
Hey I'm going to buy a pair of beats by dr.dre studio edition but I want to know if they were the best pair for the money I'm paying.
Thanks

IMO, While the beats are good, but they are overpriced. You can find the same quality of sound in respectable brands at a lower price.

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
IMO, While the beats are good, but they are overpriced. You can find the same quality of sound in respectable brands at a lower price.

Starting with Audio Technica, as a basic run. There are others, but I actually don't remember the rules of thumb for some :(

callum23

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2011
Ive listened to them and they sound amazing and they look so good, does anyone think that the more expensive beats are worth the money?

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Ive listened to them and they sound amazing and they look so good, does anyone think that the more expensive beats are worth the money?

If I was buying any beats, and I wouldn't because, well, they suck, it would be the higher end pro's. Then again, that would spend splurging even more money on a product that may look nice, but has terrible build quality and subpar audio performance.

You would be much better advised going with a nice pair of Sennheiser, Audio Technica or even a nice set of IEMs. Ultimate Ears had a great deal on the Triple.Fi 10 on Amazon a while ago - it may still be running.

callum23

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2011
has terrible build quality and subpar audio performance.

How could you say that? They sound amazing, I dont know what type of music you listen to, but for RnB and pop, things with lots of bass it's so good . And what do you mean by terrible build quality?

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
has terrible build quality and subpar audio performance.

How could you say that? They sound amazing, I dont know what type of music you listen to, but for RnB and pop, things with lots of bass it's so good . And what do you mean by terrible build quality?

I say that because it is true. Others agree. Check the reviews. They are NOT good value for money. There are much better alternatives that cost less.

They are made by a company that charge $300 for an HDMI cable that offers absolutely no benefits over a $10 cable. Doesn't that say it all?

By build quality, I am talking about their poor design, which leads them to wear down easily and break after a couple of years of use. Again, this is a known issue. Even with the best care, they scratch easily and the headband is prone to breaking.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I returned my metallic blue pair just last week.

beatsrs.jpg

Believe me when I say that I wanted to like them. I ignored a lot of the negative reviews, determined to form my own opinion. I figured that because of the brand name and endorsement people were being unnecessarily harsh. When I saw the blue pair, I jumped and took delivery in the first week of January.

There was a lot that I liked about them. Despite being plastic, they felt solid, were really comfortable etc.

But the sound...I just felt deflated. It wasn't as bad people made out (though I'm not an audiophile...meh), but for that price point I had expected something much better. My old in-ear headphones, which cost a fraction of the price sounded better. Seriously.

With this in mind, I sent them back disappointed. I've got a thread in Digital Audio going and people have recommended some good alternatives. Might be worth looking at unless your dead set on the Beats.

edit: Because you are posting this in the iPhone forum, I assume you wanted to use it as a headset too...the in-line mic cable that Monster provides with the Studios isn't great for that either.

callum23

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2011
After all of you commenting I'm starting to believe you guys and I will consider others. yes I do want to use it as a mic. So what are some better ones for maximum $300

callum23

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2011
I don't want a big gaming mic sticking out the front of it, just want one like the apple one

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Please save your money and buy something other than beats. As others have said, the build quality is terrible and for the price you can get something much better. They're only popular because of the marketing, commercials, and brand name.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
The only Beats I would recommend would be the Tours or the Pros. I have both and have no complaints about them. The Studios are cheaply made and leak music(everyone else can hear what you're listening to).

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Hmm .. I thougth OP was going to look for IEM in $70 price range. Now it's $300 ... watch out for the limit, man :D

And yeah ... no Beats is good enough for the money.
If you decide to go crazy and look for $300 .. look for no other .. Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10.

You'd be sorry to purchase Beats instead.

callum23

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2011
Hmm .. I thougth OP was going to look for IEM in $70 price range. Now it's $300 ... watch out for the limit, man :D

And yeah ... no Beats is good enough for the money.
If you decide to go crazy and look for $300 .. look for no other .. Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10.

You'd be sorry to purchase Beats instead.

yeah I wanted $70 EARphones for light listening and more expensive HEADphones so I can listen for hours and to obviously have good sound quality and good bass

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
Do both have to have mics? I use my old ATH-M50s as a headset, since it doesn't have it's own mic, my iPhone uses it's own mics for phone calls. Though this does mean I cannot put my phone in my pocket when making calls.

The beats are good cans, don't get me wrong, however, as stated above, poor product design choices, along with severe overpricing mar them. Otherwise, if the 300USD Beats studio was around 70usd, then it would be great, and we would recommend the Jamaican Monster, Inc's product (oh, they say they are HQ in Cali, but for tax reasons.... they are a Jamaican company).

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
I have no experience with the over-ear beats for long periods of time...though I can say that for $300 I have heard better sounding headphones than these (I have listened to them on more than 1 occasion, but I listen to rock, so take that as you will)

However, I owned a pair of the in ear ones...terrible build quality for sure. I passed up kilpsch S4i for these because of the cable (seemed sturdier on the beats). I always put my headphones right into their included case after use, yet still these had a damaged/frayed cable after a few months. Ive since replaced them with the s4is and they hold up much better...sound better too, and for $50 less

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
I don't know what to do anymore?

It's obvious you still want the Beat's otherwise you would know what to do! Go to best buy, buy the Beats, realize their crap and return them, and then go with a recomendation in this thread.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Do what works for you ;)

1+ this! TS others have said there is better but you are still convinced so maybe to you they sound the best look the best.. So in that case go buy them and be happy.. It's like the my Android is better then iPhone debates. if somebody likes something better and makes them happy great! I would suggest though next time just buying what makes you happy if your really not interested in others opinions or facts. Enjoy them though!

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
1+ this! TS others have said there is better but you are still convinced so maybe to you they sound the best look the best.. So in that case go buy them and be happy.. It's like the my Android is better then iPhone debates. if somebody likes something better and makes them happy great! I would suggest though next time just buying what makes you happy if your really not interested in others opinions or facts. Enjoy them though!

Of course, that's not to say there are not technical merits of either side :p

takatech

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2012
If you really want a over the ears with mic features. I would suggest the Vmoda M-80. There are many good reviews about it. You should go check it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.