Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
There are several threads on this. Do we really need another?

Search next time.

mayhone1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
Wisconsin
There are several threads on this. Do we really need another?

Search next time.

Searching is not perfect, sometimes it does not give you results which may be on the site, you only waste time when it is a simple question and something I really wanted thoughts on. Thanks though, next time do not read posts or respond to them, when you honestly do not care.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
When do you think apple will update the iMacs? :apple:

When Intel updates their CPU's more than 100MHz. Or when some kind of compelling tech arrives on the scene. None of that has happened yet. March at the earliest, I'm guessing. What else did you want with the upgrade? Higher res screens? More Thunderbolt. The internal parts will stay the same throughout Ivy Bridge so there is nothing to update to. Maybe faster clocked memory but Apple stays with board specs always. They could retrofit X79 and plop it in a thicker case for a 6-core iMonster. The current iMacs are fast and nice. And who knows, the next batch may have TN based panels again and you would actually be downgrading in quality. It has happened.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
I'm holding off for a few reasons.

1) Hoping we get an extra 1-2 USB ports
2) USB 3.0
3) Cheaper SSD options.

Hopefully we get at least #2. If not, oh well.

Santiago17a

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2012
Searching is not perfect, sometimes it does not give you results which may be on the site, you only waste time when it is a simple question and something I really wanted thoughts on. Thanks though, next time do not read posts or respond to them, when you honestly do not care.

Well said Mayhone, I agree with you!
It's a current topic and things change by the minute, it's a valid question. :)

RatHat

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2011
Thanks though, next time do not read posts or respond to them, when you honestly do not care.

Well said! Too many people on various forums seem to like using them to make comments belittling others. It is not so difficult to answer the question, and would have been a lot easier.

Compare: I would say sometime in May with There are several threads on this. Do we really need another? Search next time.

As my old Grandmother used to say; "If you cant say something constructive, shut the @#$% up!"

Last edited:

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
A lot of speculation says that Ivy Bridge (which is rumoured to be implemented in the next wave of Macs) won't be ready until May/June. So, at a guess, I'd say we're looking end of Summer?

Although there are plenty of other reasons to suspect earlier and others to suspect later.

Anyone running a pool on it? :D

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
My bet is August but possibly October to be after the educational quarter. You will start to see threads in May that the iMac is ancient, in June that the iMac will be discontinued, and in July that Apple doesn't care about the Pro Consumer market. August it is refreshed.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
My bet is August but possibly October to be after the educational quarter. You will start to see threads in May that the iMac is ancient, in June that the iMac will be discontinued, and in July that Apple doesn't care about the Pro Consumer market. August it is refreshed.

You are correct!

macmastersam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Essex, england
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

BornAgainMac said:

A bit like the mac pro now...
August.. Upgrade time
September-October.. The thing is old
November - present.. Probs gonna be discontinued

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA

So you think that if Intel releases their Chip on April 1st it will take months for Apple to implement it?

I disagree, I believe Apple will have production ready and possibly even an early start on receiving the chips so that when it goes public, it will take about 1-1.5 months for shipping to start.

This isn't like me calling intel and asking them for an early release because I really need it for a custom build. This is Apple we're talking about.

Santiago17a

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2012
What's coming up next?

So, it seems the iPad is what is coming up next, right? There are always some signs like leaks of part photos, changes in the inventory of the Apple store, etc? Do they always have a press conference or something like that before releasing new products or sometimes they just release them without a presentation? I am about to buy an iMac too so I was wondering.

angel66

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2012
hi all!

i really hope the next imac will not have the problems i had with the last one.
no dust under the glass, yellow issue.....

i truly love the apple design, but cmon apple bit more quality control.

quikstub

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2012

Apple doesn't really care already. Look at the prices Apple want for Mac pro and iMac BTO. Such unattractive offers ;( They could at least lower the prices for aged products.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
So you think that if Intel releases their Chip on April 1st it will take months for Apple to implement it?

I disagree, I believe Apple will have production ready and possibly even an early start on receiving the chips so that when it goes public, it will take about 1-1.5 months for shipping to start.

This isn't like me calling intel and asking them for an early release because I really need it for a custom build. This is Apple we're talking about.

I have seen Apple jump on it right away and then other times slack. But this time they will slack. I think they will release new Macs with Mountain Lion. It will be the iMac or it's new design of it.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I have seen Apple jump on it right away and then other times slack. But this time they will slack. I think they will release new Macs with Mountain Lion. It will be the iMac or it's new design of it.

No I think they'll give a window for people who bought a new iMac a free upgrade to ML. They did the same thing with lion, so what changed now?

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
I'm hoping by April. Got my finger on the trigger just waiting to pull it. i7, SSD+HDD, 16 GB RAM.. can't wait.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Bottom line, USB 3.0 will be awesome and since Ivy natively supports it, we should get close to theoretical speeds more often than not.

Just bought a FW800/USB 3.0 external, so I am stoked to hear what they announce!

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Bottom line, USB 3.0 will be awesome and since Ivy natively supports it, we should get close to theoretical speeds more often than not.

Just bought a FW800/USB 3.0 external, so I am stoked to hear what they announce!

I'm REALLY hoping for USB 3.0 and i'm hoping for an extra port or two. Four USB ports just isn't enough. I have an external HDD, external 1080p webcam, Hauppauge for recording Xbox gameplay, my mouse, my keyboard, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.