Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IwantImac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2011
I've had this problem for a few days now. When I enter sleep mode, my iMac will go into sleep mode. But the computer will keep running. (The screen fades black but that's it).

Imho it's not just the fan, because when i power it on again the screen is there immediately (faster that its supposed to pop up).

I don't know what to do, the only way i can stop my mac from running is by shutting him down. Which as you know is not all that good for a mac.

I have an iMac 2011 base model and i'm running the latest version of lion.

If anyone knows what to do, please tell me.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Set the Mac to sleep in 1 min intervals for testing. Let the min pass and pull your console logs. It may indicate what is blocking the system from entering sleep. Usually some 3rd party app keeping network connection or something else open.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
that's not helping tbh
How is that not helping? If your computer is running, it's not in sleep mode. If your computer is running but the display is blank, it's most likely because only your display is asleep. Nothing will be running if your computer is truly in sleep mode.

Those links will give you things to check to determine what is preventing your computer from sleeping.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
How is that not helping? If your computer is running, it's not in sleep mode. If your computer is running but the display is blank, it's most likely because only your display is asleep. Nothing will be running if your computer is truly in sleep mode.

Those links will give you things to check to determine what is preventing your computer from sleeping.

You mean I have to actively DO something? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.