Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackassroomie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Just wondering if you guys have all experienced some form of bug or another on this OS? I think from battery problems to connectivity issues, this iOS has been the most problem-filled iOS to date. I haven't met one person who is on this OS without some sort of issue or another. Apple is growing in terms of users but this OS is seriously starting to annoy me. There has to be a solution to most of these problems because I've never had most of these issues when i was on iOS4.

HeezyBear

macrumors regular
May 21, 2010
I'm not experiencing any major problems. What types of problems are you experiencing?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

iOS 2 was really bad!

Ios5 is fine for me except the call history bug!

jackassroomie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
here are some of the problems i've experienced so far:

1) battery-drain
2) emails not coming into the Mail app sometimes. Won't be notified until I randomly go into the app and realize that the Mail app is frozen and have to restart to get it to connect
3) 3G connectivity issues - show full bars on 3G but constantly times out. all i see it that damn wheel spinning and nothing happening.

HeezyBear

macrumors regular
May 21, 2010

1) battery-drain
2) emails not coming into the Mail app sometimes. Won't be notified until I randomly go into the app and realize that the Mail app is frozen and have to restart to get it to connect
3) 3G connectivity issues - show full bars on 3G but constantly times out. all i see it that damn wheel spinning and nothing happening.

1. What sort of things have you done to try and appease the battery drain?

2. I'm assuming you have push on, but what service(s) do you use for email? Gmail, Yahoo, etc.

3. Don't think I can help here unfortunately.

jackassroomie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
1. What sort of things have you done to try and appease the battery drain?

2. I'm assuming you have push on, but what service(s) do you use for email? Gmail, Yahoo, etc.

3. Don't think I can help here unfortunately.

1) I have tried all the different methods found on this forum to fix the battery issue. I refuse to turn off the things that some people suggest because then there's really no pt in having an iPhone for me. Also this was not a problem when I was running iOS4.

2) I use Gmail and Exchange for my work email.

jackassroomie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
wow...i guess it's just me and my group of friends. haha...

very weird that some people experience nothing but good results and others are encountering multiple issues.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
There's def a wifi issue still, here's a 27 page thread on apple support about it https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3381610?start=390&tstart=0 and this one from Engadet in Nov still has comments updating about the issue http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/21/thanks-to-ios-5-some-users-lose-wifi-connectivity/

And I can say my 4 and 3GS both have not had wifi since Oct release of iOS5. Unless I'm within a few feet of the router, and I've used two, DIR-655 Extreme and Linksys E4200. My neighbors 4 has had the same issue as well, as well as some others I know after upgrading to iOS5. No matter what changes I did to the routers, or frequency or band I changed, no difference.

Now the 3GS is jailbroken and old bootram with blogs saved, when I reverted back to previous OS, whad'ya know, WiFi works 100%, but running iOS5 again and it only works unless right near the routers. Even replaced the wifi ribbon cable just to see, and no difference. My GS2 on the other hand works 100% on the same networks, as well as our other devices (MBP, pc/laptops, kindle fire etc).

I even went to the Apple Store with my MBP to show the difference on the iPhone when running iOS5 vs previous OS on the stores wifi network. At the time, he said they were getting complaints about this but nothing could be done as Apple had nothing about this in their system.

Now months later Apple finally acknowledges there is an issue, yet they have no answer as to why it's happening to some and not others. I even wrote them an email explaining how reverting back to previous OS works fine with WiFi and to contact me with any other qeustions to see if we could solve this for everyone, they never did get back to me, so much for support :rolleyes:

If you don't have the issue, be thankful, b/c it sucks

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
I guess it depends which device you have iOS 5 loaded on. Wife and i both have iPhone 4's and iOS 5 works perfectly. I was having problems with push with iCloud, but that was an iCloud problem. We switched back to Gmail and haven't had a problem since. Everything works perfectly on our iphones, but iOS 5 is rather slow on our iPad 1. Safari freezes often and closes itself. Other than that it's been fine. The safari bug bothers me though bc it is a daily occurrence.

ThatGuyUK

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2010
iOS2 was indeed bad. Man that brings back bad memories. Those weeks and weeks of almost unusable text messaging, where the keyboard just slowed to a crawl!

I found iOS5 to occasionally get really slow, mainly when I leave an app. It's like springboard stops responding for a few seconds before it catches up. A little annoying.

Yesterday when I unlocked the phone springboard totally froze for about 5 seconds, then I got the spinning wheel as if it was switching off and then suddenly the lock screen appeared, and it was back to normal.

Generally seems quite good though overall, apart from the app store which has for a long time now been a very slow and annoying part of the OS.

kcmo

Suspended
Apr 21, 2011

1) battery-drain

I have the same issue as #2 above....plus the mail app often crashes. I have one Gmail account set up as Exchange. Pretty frustrating as this is my first iPhone (came from years of BB).

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I'm having some 3G issues on my 4S with iOS 5.01, even when there is a relatively strong. Essentially the thing disconnects from the internet even though the 3G signal is on. Toggling airplane mode on & off seems to fix it, but I wonder if Apple messed about too much with parameters like time-out intervals in order to avoid battery drain.

The bug is annoying but not intolerable because I use mostly WiFi. However, I do wish if there was a way of confirming if the problem is on the iPhone or Orange UK's network....

jackassroomie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
i think for me, the real annoyance comes from the bugs that I'm dealing with are directly the most used things on my iPhone. My iPhone is my primary work phone so not being able to rely on my emails and having to be somewhat paranoid and opening the mail app to make sure is really annoying. I don't have the luxury of not responding to an email for work hours later.

Also when the 3G goes out and you're not in a wifi area, it is maddening. I'm not talking about tweeting my immediate feelings or writing some witty facebook status, I actually need it to update emails and find directions. none of that works when the 3G goes out.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US

1) battery-drain

I get 1 and 2 on my iPhone, although not 2 on my iPad, oddly enough. However on my iPhone 4 I also get the No Sim error. I've followed the support guide (that says the issue is with the iPhone 4S, it does not suggest its with the iPhone 4 too) and it still happens from time to time. I'd definitely have to seriously consider anything but an iPhone after this if they don't fix it. As much as I love the iPhone I'm just getting quite fed up of losing its main functionality (which isn't always fixed by restarting the device) randomly. To me that's a very serious bug to be found in an OS.

malachiman

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2008
New Zealand
Generally been great.

I have one noticeable oddity...

Sometimes for example opening the phone app, I will see briefly the call screen of the last call I was on, then it flicks back to the phone app screen. Doesn’t happen all the time but at least several times a week. :confused:

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
When iOS 5 first came out I could not say anything bad about but right now I would rather stick with iOS 4.3. The biggest problem is if you have a device with 256 MB of RAM like a iPad1, Iphone 3GS or what I have a 3rd and 4th Gen iPod Touch. It is always running low on memory. Safari crashes all the time which with iOS 4.3 it use to only crash once in a while. Also apps crash all the time including the build in Apple apps because they are low on memory. With iOS 4.3 when I first rebooted the device I had about 150 MB of free memory. With iOS 5 I only have about 30 MB free after a reboot. It does climb a bit maybe up to around 80 to 90 MB after I open a few apps and close them but apps that use to never crash start to crash because of low memory.

I did restore from the iCloud backup on new years eve and apps don't crash as bad but Safari is still a dog.

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
Just today I was thinking to myself that this is the most stable my iPhone has felt since..... ever. And it's even jailbroken :) I truly have no issues whatsoever. On 4.x I would experience the occasional Safari crash, not getting an IP when switching between GPRS and 3G and other small things. On 5.0 I had some small things, but 5.0.1 feels perfect. I have nothing to complain about.
And the battery also has no problems (today I had to charge it after 2,5 days of usage). But I have to say that I did do a clean install of 5.0 coming from 4.x, because I always feel that upgrading to a large new version of an OS, that restoring a backup can only cause trouble. And honestly, many people with problems (also friends of mine) did start with a restored backup and after a clean install their problems would be gone. Btw, I have an iPhone 4 as do all my friends.

jackassroomie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
i think maybe the reason apple is taking it's time in fixing these bugs, is that it's not really a large sample of people. it's weird because the people around me all have some sort of issue or another with this OS so I thought it might be a larger sample, but from the responses on these boards, it seems like many people are perfectly happy with their phones. i guess I'm just stuck hoping for the new update to eventually come out and possibly fix some of the issues i'm having. i can always leave iOS all together but i dont feel like moving to another OS ecosystem and the lack of updates on android can turn out to be even worse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.