Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
A new chip, that's what. Think about it guys. Steve Jobs, the guy we all know and the guy whos every action we watch, is no dummy. He knows what he is doing, and an agreement was made with Intel many months ago. An agreement stating that Intel will produce a microprocessor (or a couple) appointed exclusively for Apple and the Mac line. I heavily presume that Intel is working on not only a 32-bit chip but a 64-bit to boot. I anticipate seeing the 64-bit in the higher-end models such as the iMac, PowerMac, and PowerBook. And the 32-bit in the lower-end, iBook, Mac mini, eMac.

I also believe that Apple will continue with the G series and further bring the G5 to the PowerBook, just not as an IBM chip. It would be entirely illogical to drop the G series in light of the marketing effort already put into place.

Over the course of the past 24 hours, I have started to change my view on this transition affair. I am beginning to think that it could be a good thing. After all, Steve is a brilliant man and usually knows what he is doing. Wherever Apple goes (other than walking into Gates office to talk--merging), I will stand with them.

Overall, I really think the shift to Intel could be a leap forward lieu of my previous thoughts discriminating the situation.

G-Funk

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2005
Miami , FL
Apple and Steve won't accept a 32bit chip from intel since it's high end powermac and iMac currently run on a 64bit (G5) . since intel has only (Xeon) processors that it supposivly 64bit ( if i am not mistaken) apple would demand a new chip from intel. that will be only featured on a mac ..

AMD has it's first PC 64bit chip in the industry . so i wonder what intel would develope for apple and the mac !!! :rolleyes:

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
That may have made sense before the announcement, but we now know that the chip is x86. Intel will not be furthuring the G line, but it seems that IBM will continue filling orders for the immediate future. Production of a custom processor is extremely expensive (I'm involved in the design of microprocessors for a company I will not name), and for the volume Apple currently sees, simply not worth it. This can be seen even today in that the Power core is shared among a number of processors, and still IBM can't provide the resources to fully develop it. Apple is saying that users should be able to run Windows on their machines, and that will certainly require an unmodified x86 chip.

Feel free to speculate on the lock-in features to keep OS X from running on Dells, though. My guess is they'll license the reference motherboard chipset from Intel, and include a few Apple-only hardware components that are checked for on boot.

Edit: In response to the previous post - I believe the release materials also said the consumer lines will start on the 32-bit chips, and the PowerMacs will utilize the 64s. Intel has a number of 64-bit processor lines, the most recent being dual-core.

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2002
WA
Why not all 64 bit?

I mean really, if you are going to make a huge transition like this...
Why not just go all out dual-64 bit?

TrumanApple

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2005
Apple!Freak said:
A new chip, that's what. Think about it guys. Steve Jobs, the guy we all know and the guy whos every action we watch, is no dummy. He knows what he is doing, and an agreement was made with Intel many months ago. An agreement stating that Intel will produce a microprocessor (or a couple) appointed exclusively for Apple and the Mac line. I heavily presume that Intel is working on not only a 32-bit chip but a 64-bit to boot. I anticipate seeing the 64-bit in the higher-end models such as the iMac, PowerMac, and PowerBook. And the 32-bit in the lower-end, iBook, Mac mini, eMac.

I also believe that Apple will continue with the G series and further bring the G5 to the PowerBook, just not as an IBM chip. It would be entirely illogical to drop the G series in light of the marketing effort already put into place.

Over the course of the past 24 hours, I have started to change my view on this transition affair. I am beginning to think that it could be a good thing. After all, Steve is a brilliant man and usually knows what he is doing. Wherever Apple goes (other than walking into Gates office to talk--merging), I will stand with them.

Overall, I really think the shift to Intel could be a leap forward lieu of my previous thoughts discriminating the situation.

No, this is wrong. Why would intel want to DESIGN (that is spend money on R&D) specifically for apple, when they have plenty of capable products coming (yonah, smithfield... etc)? Making an apple specific chip would cost intel more to make it and research it, therefore costing apple more to buy it, and us more to buy macs. No sir. I want plain intel pentium m's and nothing different than a pc intel.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Apple!Freak said:
I also believe that Apple will continue with the G series

It is possible they will because the "G" stands for Generation, which Apple currently has the Generation 4 and Generation 5 CPU's running on their computers. You could possibly see a G5 Powerbook and a G6 iMac and Power Mac, but I sort of doubt it. My guess is they will just go by a generic name now, Powerbook, iMac, and PowerMac. You might even see the return of series numbers like 6100 etc. Who knows.

The Intel chips will get quiet speed bumps and improvements along the way.

The sticker on the Mac will tell you what kind of Intel processor is in it.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
Apple!Freak said:

Quit dreaming. There is nothing really great coming out of anybody for a long time and when it gets here it won't be so great because it was such a slow incremental upgrade. Its like watching your kids grow. Leave for 5 years then come back to see the WOW my you have grown. Stay with them every day and 5 yrs later no big woop. That is the processor industry.

Everybody thinks that there is some great stuff behind closed doors that we don't know about. Nope. 007 doesn't have an invisible car, the CIA is not using artificial Intelligence risc chips, nope not happening. The government uses older crappier computers than anybody else, no budget to upgrade. Yeah the president might have a fast computer but thats it.

Everything the world is made up of is right here in front of us. All the great stuff is only in the movies.

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
nah, I don't think Intel are making a new chip just for Apple. That would cost too much.

Those developer kits for $999 come with a Powermac with an Intel x86 processor don't they?

I also believe they probably won't be making 32bit Intel Macs either. Not that 32bit technology is a lame duck in the water or anything... but that... Apple seemed to be moving to an all 64Bit lineup.

One positive I can see from all this is (appart from much faster Macs :D)... is when people compare Apples with PCs they will both be running the same processors, and it will finally be shown that Windows is a bloat goat, and OS X is a fast and lethal hunter :cool:

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
MacTruck said:
Everything the world is made up of is right here in front of us. All the great stuff is only in the movies.

I had to hold my laughter in when I read this statement of yours. I won't even get into how off the wall, what you just said, is.

Silver Apple

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2005
Canada
Check out Intel's Future Plans

Look into the future:

http://linuxbusinessnews.sys-con.com/read/48477.htm
and
http://freespace.virgin.net/m.warner/Roadmap2006.htm

Take a good look specially at:

1. Intel Pentium - M (Dothan)** Current ** 533Mhz Bus ** NO SSE *

2. Intel Pentium-M (Jonah / Yonah) - Late 2005 /Early 2006
667Mhz bus with SSE3 (like altivec) ** DUAL core
The Intel Calistoga chipsets for the Yonah CPU's can be used by apple to
make the iBook, Pbook, Imac, etc... note that is has PCI express!!!

3. Intel Sossaman is a low power processor, with the 2Ghz revision
having a TDP of 31W, with the 1.67Ghz LV version having a TDP of just
15W. ** Can you imagine what the Apple design team can do with this
tiny processor ??? Think Sony X505 competitor runing OSX !!!!! with
8 hrs of batery life baby!!!!

4. Look also at the Xeon and Pressler extreme edition with their dual cores
and 1066 FSB.... ready for a PowerMac workstation!!! By the way ***
These CPUs will be based on 65nm and have Pentium M like pipelines ...
should run way cooler than current P4s

5. Intel Merom and its chipset Crestine-GM (Crestline?) (late 2006)
800Mhz FSB speed, DDRII 800 SDRAM and PCI Express
supporting 80211a/b/g and 11n WiMax
20-30% performance improvement per clock over Yonah
Dual Core and possibly Quad*

6. Intel Conroe (Desktop twin of Merom)

*** STEVE J. must have been like a kid in a candy store when looking at what is and will be available from Intel **** I believe #5 and #6 is what Steve is looking forward to for late 2006! :D

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
The future for Apple/Intel is all Pentium M (aka Centrino).

Steve Jobs was talking about performance/power ratios and that Intel wins out. The Pentium 4 does not. It's one of the hottest running desktop processors there IS.

The Pentium M is the ONLY Intel processor that gets the kind of power/performance ratio shown at WWDC that I am aware of.

Celeron lacks in performance. Pentium 4 takes too much power for that performance. Pentium M gets the performance and the power.

Remember how CNN stated that the transition would start on low end?

Here are my predictions.

Intel is going to get a 64-bit Centrino/Pentium M for Apple.

The Pentium M chips will start going into Apple laptops, then the Mac Mini and iMac (the small form factor ones that need low power chips). PowerMacs will remain G5 till the last.

G-Funk

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2005
Miami , FL
One thing that also caught my attention. is that intel has a low speed system bus.. unlike G5 with 1.35Ghz front side bus !! .. intel should realy come up with smething fast or this transittion is not worth it

minimax

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
G-Funk said:
One thing that also caught my attention. is that intel has a low speed system bus.. unlike G5 with 1.35Ghz front side bus !! .. intel should realy come up with smething fast or this transittion is not worth it

Quit the nonsense please it is a BUS that means it allows for data transfer and the G5 systembus has huge overhead. A lower busspeed will NOT mean lower performance per se.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Coca-Cola said:
I mean really, if you are going to make a huge transition like this...
Why not just go all out dual-64 bit?

because that isn't in the roadmap for Intel and 64 bit isn't required by a lot of normal users (really, all 64 bit provides is larger memory address space, unless you need very fine precision in your maths).

the laptops are not 64bit now so this doesn't represent a climb down for apple.

my guess is that yonah might be the first chip in a powerbook for this time next year (hopefully earlier).

i'd buy a dothan based 13.3" powerbook if it came out before xmas tho :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.