Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_guggenheim_invite1-500x358.jpg

Apple today is holding its education-focused media event where it is widely expected to introduce a new push into digital textbooks. The event is scheduled to kick off at the Guggenheim Museum in New York City at 10:00 AM Eastern / 7:00 Pacific.

Apple will not be providing live video coverage of the event to the public, but a number of news sites will be on hand to provide text and photo updates, and we're including links to several of them here. We will also be updating this article with coverage as the media event unfolds and news stories regarding the event announcements will go out through our @MacRumors account.

- The Verge
- Macworld
- Engadget
- CNET
- AllThingsD
- The Loop
- Time/Technologizer
- The Wall Street Journal

Recent News and Rumors

- Apple's Textbook Project Code Named 'Bliss' and Inspired by Al Gore's 'Our Choice'?
- Apple's Textbook Initiative to Feature Strong K-12 Focus, Aid Publishers Large and Small
- iWork VP Roger Rosner Taking Charge of Apple's Digital Textbook Initiative
- Apple to Launch 'Garageband for e-books' on Thursday?
- More on Apple's Textbook Plans for Thursday's Media Event

In one last-minute rumor, Jason O'Grady claims on Twitter and at ZDNet that Apple could launch Pages '12 with enhanced ePub support (perhaps alongside a full iWork '12 update), iBooks 2.0 with support for Mac, and textbook rentals.

Event Updates

- Phil Schiller on stage. "Good morning everyone. I'm pleased to welcome you here in New York. This is really special for everyone at Apple. It's about education."
- Setting the background of Apple's interest in education, challenges facing students, etc. Intro video of educators talking about issues with class sizes, poor facilities, low levels of student engagement, insufficient technology and textbooks.
- Schiller: One place we think we can help is student engagement.
- No surprise that students like to learn on iPad. #1 on teens' holiday wish lists this year.
- Already 20,000 education apps for iPad, and the iBookstore is packed with books. There already over 1.5 million iPads being used in education, but we want to make things even easier for them.
- First of two things: Reinventing textbooks
- Textbooks aren't always ideal: cumbersome, not terribly portable, not durable, not interactive, not searchable, but the content is great. Companies work hard to update, but hard to get the content out to people fast enough.
- iPad can help overcome many of those deficiencies, and that's why we're here today.

schiller_ipad_textbook.jpg

- iBooks 2
- These books are amazing, so here is a demo of iBooks 2. Roger Rosner to assist.
- Demoing biology textbook. Dramatic intro movie, multitouch gestures to move through book, 3D models of insides of cells.
- Much more interesting than static sheets of paper. But we need to get it into kids' hands.
- Authors have complete freedom in text and graphics layout. Auto-rotate between portrait and landscape, and we re-layout the content Portrait offers a more traditional text format.
- Pinch to get to table of contents. Easy glossary access and linked index entries.
- Review questions become visual and interactive, and offer immediate feedback.
- Integrated highlighting and notetaking. Automatically turn notes and highlights into study cards. Glossary terms too...can even shuffle the cards.
- How do I get these? New textbook category in the iBookstore. Free samples and one-click purchase.
- Schiller back on stage.
- iBooks 2 available from the App Store for free today.
- So how do you create these books?

ibooks_author.jpg

- iBooks Author
- Mac application for authoring interactive books. Rosner demoing the book creation process.
- Template chooser sets the stage, and build from there. Drag and drop layout controls.
- Toolbar controls with gallery of available interactive elements. Everything auto-formats into the layout.
- For more custom interaction, drag and drop an entire Keynote presentation right into the layout.
- If you can write code in Javascript and HTML5, you can build your own widgets for embedding in books.
- Demoing easy glossary-building tools.
- "If you've ever been involved in an e-book creation before, you know this is a total miracle."
- Preview function to push the book to an iPad for testing.
- Schiller back on stage.
- "So that's iBooks Author. It is the most advanced, most powerful and yet most fun interactive authoring tool yet created."
- iBooks Author available free on the Mac App Store today.
- So how do we get the textbooks? New category in iBookstore.
- We wanted to get started with partners early, so we're starting with high school textbooks priced at $14.99 or less.
- Books can be kept up to date, and students get to keep their own copies.
- Partnered with Pearson, McGraw-Hill, and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt...these three companies account for 90% of the textbooks sold in the U.S.
- First books launching today: Biology, Environmental Science from Pearson; Algebra 1, Biology, Chemistry, Geometry, Physics from McGraw-Hill.
- DK Publishing is also onboard with kids books...launching four titles today.
- E.O. Wilson Foundation also involved. Exclusive "Life on Earth" coming to the iBookstore. First two chapters free, remaining chapters coming at a reasonable price as they make them.
- Another video of teachers talking about why they teach and why there's no reason students should be receiving outdated information in the same textbook format used since the 1950s.
- Clips of publishing company CEOs, education administrators and teachers talking about what a game-changer the iBooks textbook initiative is.
- Schiller back on stage. "So that's the first thing we wanted to tell you about today."

- Eddy Cue on stage for the second announcement.
- Talking about helping teachers reinvent their curriculums. Highlighting iTunes U....1,000 universities using it, world's largest catalog of free education content, 700 million downloads from iTunes U.
- New iTunes U app for iPad that lets teachers do everything they need to do for a class.
- Jeff Robbin on stage for demo. Overview section offers easy access to teacher details, syllabus, office hours, etc.

itunes_u_course.jpg

- Assignments can send students directly to a section within iBooks.
- Link out to video clips, stream or download lectures, etc.
- Easy access to notes and materials.
- Over 100 courses have already been created...all available for free on iTunes U.
- K-12 schools can also now sign up for iTunes U.
- iTunes U app available for free today in App Store.
- Schiller back on stage summarizing Apple's dedication to education. Quickly mentioning iBooks 2, iBooks Author, and iTunes U apps.
- "We're really proud of what the teams have done. They've worked so hard on this. They do it because all of us at Apple know you can empower people through learning. And tech has a role to play in that -- that's one of the best things that's built into the culture."
- Thanks for joining us. Press headed to hands-on demos.

Article Link: Live Coverage of Apple's Education-Focused Media Event

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Ah, the Guggenheim.

Have you seen the new addition to the Guggenheim?

Yep. I did that.

And it didn't take very long either.

Themaeds

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Ah, the Guggenheim.

Have you seen the new addition to the Guggenheim?

Yep. I did that.

And it didn't take very long either.

Well, isn't an architect just an art school drop-out with a tilty desk, and a big ruler?.

It's called a T-square!!!!

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
why can't one of the people live blogging just stream a video feed for us or something, it's freaking 2012, they could do it with just their iphone.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
As an educator and a parent I am really looking forward to this...what? this is about textbooks? No new iPads? OK, I'm outta here.

Vip

macrumors regular
May 8, 2008
No Dividends...

But free iPads for all schools in the WORLD - now that would be awesome!

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
If arranged properly, the iPad could free grade schoolers from time restraints. They could easily rocket ahead of curriculum and move onward through their own initiative. I think the iPad, specifically, could free kids from educational institutions, since it already is a huge research engine in a tiny package.

We'll see where this goes.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
The problem with eduction in US is the education system. Don't think Apple can fix that.

Not only that, our current culture is facilitating the widespread ADHD found in our children. Perhaps this is a way to control the attention-lapses our children have grown fond of, but likely not.

We'll see if this actually takes-off, but I think it will fall into a small niche of boutique education. I remember when I was in high school (in the 90's), in a relatively affluent school district too, the textbooks we were given were nearly falling apart. The reason? Not enough school funding. So, I'm very wary of the cash-grab Apple is setting-up for themselves. Schools are already tight-budgeted as it is. People may state this will help schools, but I am skeptical. Apple is a corporation that has a duty to its shareholders to maximize profits, not to act as a charity or engage in acts of philanthropy. In fact, its shameful Apple is even entering the textbook business. But, I do agree that the existing publishing houses are killing schools now.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
why can't one of the people live blogging just stream a video feed for us or something, it's freaking 2012, they could do it with just their iphone.

Mostly because the press are not authorized to do this. When you do a press conference in a closed auditorium, the press are guests and they can be ejected for improper behavior. If they don't leave, they can be arrested for trespassing. Many journalists that have asked nail-biting questions have been ejected or arrested on these grounds.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Not only that, our current culture is facilitating the widespread ADHD found in our children. Perhaps this is a way to control the attention-lapses our children have grown fond of, but likely not.

We'll see if this actually takes-off, but I think it will fall into a small niche of boutique education. I remember when I was in high school (in the 90's), in a relatively affluent school district too, the textbooks we were given were nearly falling apart. The reason? Not enough school funding. So, I'm very wary of the cash-grab Apple is setting-up for themselves. Schools are already tight-budgeted as it is. People may state this will help schools, but I am skeptical. Apple is a corporation that has a duty to its shareholders to maximize profits, not to act as a charity or engage in acts of philanthropy. In fact, its shameful Apple is even entering the textbook business. But, I do agree that the existing publishing houses are killing schools now.

Maybe Apple is going for good press? If a kid uses an iPad at school and loves it, at some point, Mom and Dad might get them their own. There is your profit.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Only the government can.

----------

They shouldn't have added the '2' at the end... it's stupid. Just call it the 'new iBooks'.

Very debatable. The government can't force kids to develop excellent study habits. The government can't make parents actually sit down with their children to help them learn their homework. In fact, in the inner city, the government has even failed at getting kid to attend school. Great education begins with a stable, nurturing home environment, something the government cannot mandate.

Maybe Apple is going for good press? If a kid uses an iPad at school and loves it, at some point, Mom and Dad might get them their own. There is your profit.

So, you are suggesting the real reason for Apple getting into the textbook market is to brainwash our youth and their parents into spending money on a more expense Apple product? Fantastic. And, since the majority of Apple's profits have come (and continue to come) from iPods and iPhones, double fantastic.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
The problem with eduction in US is the education system. Don't think Apple can fix that.

IMO, this press conference is a huge Trojan horse for public education. Suddenly, many more textbooks become affordable for home schooled children. Also, I would not be surprised if Teachers Unions start to oppose this and not let these in primary and secondary school. At the college level, this will do great.

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
IMO, this press conference is a huge Trojan horse for public education. Suddenly, many more textbooks become affordable for home schooled children. Also, I would not be surprised if Teachers Unions start to oppose this and not let these in primary and secondary school. At the college level, this will do great.

I don't think it's good for primary schools since it is an iPad and it can get stolen because it is that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.