Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:53 PM   #1
enigma2118
macrumors member

Streaming from web to Mac to ps3

Hey all,

So I'm looking to reduce as many bills as possible. Cut the cable. I have a PS3 hooked up to the TV with Netflix, I like it. I had Hulu too, but I found that the few shows I wanted to watch on Hulu are streaming free online already (SVU on nbc.com - The Daily Show etc) so in order to cut the Hulu expense, I'm looking to stream these shows to my tv via the PS3.

as a side note I'm looking to possibly use the iPad to stream to the TV. I have a HDMI to iPad cable. This would require finding the best flash capable browser for the iPad like iSwifter BUT I use the iPad a lot, and would prefer that the PS3 be the streaming device

But I digress...so how to stream these shows to the ps3? The built in browser on the ps3 stinks and won't stream most of these sites. Don't really want to jailbreak the ps3 as I use it for netflix, games, streaming saved videos from the Mac HD with MediaLink, and I don't want to mess it up. As far as I know you cannot boot to an alternative OS (with a better web browser) via an external source I.E. USB or CD, you would have to jailbreak (tho I could be wrong)

It looks like tversity lets you do what I am looking for...but with a PC. Booo! So is there an alternative for the Mac? Any ideas?

Just to be clear, I'm not looking to stream media saved on my Mac, but stream from a website like NBC.com to my Mac to my PS3

I'm gonna keep looking too, but would love any suggestions!

Last edited by enigma2118; Jan 19, 2012 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Clearing up
enigma2118 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:06 PM   #2
nDarkness
macrumors newbie

Chances are your ps3's firmware is too high to jailbreak at this point anyway if you are above 3.55. This would require soldering and a nor flasher to downgrade. Even being jailbroken will not get streaming working in the examples you have given. Ps3 media server will work on the mac but it will only stream your local content. Linux on the ps3 doesn't have very good video support due to the proprietary video hardware. There is an rsx driver that made advances but I don't think it will compare to your mac's experience. A boxee box will cost about $200 and should do what you are looking for. You can make your own with an old computer if you'd like. Boxee.tv should get you started.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
nDarkness is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Tags
flash, ps3, streaming video, wireless tv