Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrFluffums

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
I want to upgrade my hard drive (250GB) and put it on a new 1TB hard drive. I also have a 2tb and 500 gb externals. The 2GB is empty, and the 500GB is full of time machine backups. I also have a 2.5" external inclosure if that helps. Whats the best way for me to get my 250GB data onto a new 1TB hard drive?
CCC? Time Machine?

Thanks!

Nov 28, 2010
located
When you get the new HDD, put it into that enclosure for 2.5" S-ATA HDDs and then format it via Disk Utility* properly**.
Then use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make a 1:1 copy of the internal HDD to the new external HDD, then swap the drives and use the old HDD for whatever purposes you intent to.

Links to guides on how to use Disk Utility, the application Mac OS X provides for managing internal and external HDD/SSDs and its formats.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads, as this question comes up a lot:

EarthNeutron

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2010
Earth
When you get the new HDD, put it into that enclosure for 2.5" S-ATA HDDs and then format it via Disk Utility* properly**.
Then use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make a 1:1 copy of the internal HDD to the new external HDD, then swap the drives and use the old HDD for whatever purposes you intent to.

Links to guides on how to use Disk Utility, the application Mac OS X provides for managing internal and external HDD/SSDs and its formats.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads, as this question comes up a lot:

Is it possible to just insert it into my mac? Will it start downloading Mountain Lion from the internet and then will I be able to restore from my time machine backup?

I do now have a HDD enclosure and I will be upgrading to a samsung 830 ssd basic kit.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Is it possible to just insert it into my mac? Will it start downloading Mountain Lion from the internet and then will I be able to restore from my time machine backup?

I do now have a HDD enclosure and I will be upgrading to a samsung 830 ssd basic kit.

You have to format the HDD at least, and as far as I know, currently you can only download Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store and not via Internet Recovery.
Why not download ML on your current Mac with your current HDD, make a bootable installer (many, many guides available on how to do this with a 4 or 8 GB USB flash memory thumbdrive), insert the new SSD, make a clean install of ML (which includes formatting the SSD correctly, again, many guides available for this and for Lion (same procedure))and then either use Setup or Migration Assistant to import the data from the Time Machine backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.