Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Hi everybody,

now after the dust has settled I think it would be interesting to discuss the next PB revisions. My expectation is that there will be only 1 more PPC PB revision. Reason for that is that the first Intel based Mac will be released in about a year. Last PB update was end January. Given a 9 month cycle - would perfect fit with one more update due around september/october timeframe.
My guess for that last revision is:
- 7448 CPU @ 1.8 GHz
- X700 VRAM 128
- 100 gig drive @ 7200
- released during Paris Expo (or latest in October)
same design, screen etc.

I don't see the MPC8641 because it would need a new board. Makes probably no sense for one revision. If I am wrong and it features the MPC8641 then this won't be the last PB with a PPC. Same reason as above. New board design makes only sense for more than one revision.

On the other hand to keep sales going until the first Intel PB the overall package should be attractive. Thats why I don't see the same graphics as the last 1.5 years.

This thread should only discuss the next PPC PB revision and not be an endless Pentium M discussion,
thanks for that ;)
Cheers
LaForge

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I agree, even the more optimistic ETA's for a Pentium M PowerBook are too far away.

So a speed bump and better graphics card would seem to be in order, just to keep things semi-fresh until then. Otherwise sales are really going to lag by early next year...

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
I am betting on the same specs. I just want to see a slight increase in screen resolution. Possibly 1680 x 1020 15.4" screen. That would be awesome. Also the x700 from ATI is the next obvious upgrade. the 9700 is 2-3 years old. This is what Apple needs to stay up with current PC laptops. This next revision is when I will switch to Apple.

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
I'm thinking some minor spec increases, better graphics, bigger hard drive. And I expect a significant price drop. Hopefully it will be released at Paris Expo.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
bodeh6 said:
I am betting on the same specs. I just want to see a slight increase in screen resolution. Possibly 1680 x 1020 15.4" screen. That would be awesome. Also the x700 from ATI is the next obvious upgrade. the 9700 is 2-3 years old. This is what Apple needs to stay up with current PC laptops. This next revision is when I will switch to Apple.

I agree with you on the screen. Would be great to see some improvement here. But I doubt that it will be upgraded. Maybe if they can keep it for the first Intel release? Who knows. My bet is they keep it.

Cheers
LaForge

xli_ne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Center of the Nation
bodeh6 said:

The screen resolution will probably be the biggest change that will happen till intel takes over. Faster hard drives would be nice (7200rpm) but for some reason I dont see that happening for awhile. Took apple years just to make 512MB of memory standard. :rolleyes:

y0zza

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
UK
As far as I was aware, the X700 is a native PCIe part. I doubt Apple is going to bother redesigning their core logic and base board just for a minor speed bump.

They'll likely wait until the Intel 955 + Pentium M (Yonah/Merom) platform for PCIe.

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
next revision will have 1.8 Ghz, bigger hard drives, and standard 128 VRAM (?). But the biggest news will be the significant price drop.

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
why can't apple just release this thing in June/July, milk it for 6 months as students begin the back-to-school purchase in bulk, then ready the PB Pentium for a MWSF release in '06?

I had these delays, and it HAS BEEN 5 months since the last "update."

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
Eevee said:
But the biggest news will be the significant price drop.
--------

How would you define significant? Apple has always had the price premium built-in from their infancy, but they are nothing short of shameless when it comes to the exorbitant prices charged for adding RAM to a computer ... starting there would be as good a place as any.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
If it's just a speed bump it won't be released at the expo. Just quietly released some random Tuesday. I suspect the first Intel PowerBook (or whatever they decide to call it) will be announced at MWSF.

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
Hey if they give them a speed boost, and a better screen (which i doubt), and a price drop (i'm 100% sure of this), I'm all in before the start of fall semester.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
I doubt they would drop prices... why? becuase when the Intel Prosesser Powerbooks come out they will probobly be cheaper but apple will still want to charge the premium for them.

ssh

macrumors member
May 6, 2005
CmdrLaForge said:
I agree with you on the screen. Would be great to see some improvement here. But I doubt that it will be upgraded. Maybe if they can keep it for the first Intel release? Who knows. My bet is they keep it.

Cheers
LaForge
I think that they have to update the screen. It is now far below a typical PC notebook. My 3+ year old T23 has more pixels than a 17" PowerBook. That's the primary reason I've not switched, yet (hoping for more resolution in that form-factor). I used a T42p for a while, and it was 1600x1280.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
djkny said:
why can't apple just release this thing in June/July, milk it for 6 months as students begin the back-to-school purchase in bulk, then ready the PB Pentium for a MWSF release in '06?

I had these delays, and it HAS BEEN 5 months since the last "update."

That's what I think they are going to do. They said that there will be Intel Macs available by this time (WWDC) next year. I interpreted that to mean they will already be in the marketplace by WWDC '06 - Not that they'll be unveiled there.

And the 1st ever Intel Mac will be unveiled on the biggest possible stage for a new product. Isn't that stage MWSF in January '06?

As for the last G4 revision, I think that will quietly slip out sometime this summer...

Tan from London

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2005
So it is worth waiting?

Umm, I don't what to do.. I was goign to order a new 17 inch but I have a feeling that somethign is goign to happen next week... price drop of enhancement in speed or screen. I did not realise that the screen displays res of the powerbooks were so behind PC laptops

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
If you can wait a few weeks and your current computer is running fine, I would wait. Apple must be announcing something about PowerBooks and iBooks this summer in time for the new school year when students need laptops for school.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
I'm keeping my Thinkpad T40 till the Intel Powerbooks arrive, then I'm switching immediately.

ssh

macrumors member
May 6, 2005
kkapoor said:
I'm keeping my Thinkpad T40 till the Intel Powerbooks arrive, then I'm switching immediately.
I think this is where I've gotten, as well. Only mine's a T23... :( :eek:

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
wordmunger said:
If it's just a speed bump it won't be released at the expo. Just quietly released some random Tuesday. I suspect the first Intel PowerBook (or whatever they decide to call it) will be announced at MWSF.

Yeah - if just a minor speedbump then they come on a tuesday.

If you are right and the first Intel Powerbook comes at MWSF then i doubt if we see another PPC PB revision.

The update cycles have been quite long in the past. 10 month the last one. It could be 11 month this time if they intend to release the Intel PB at MWSF.

On the other hand - iBooks are really due. And an update brings them closer. But they have been closer before the last PB update as well. So why not again?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.