Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
So, I recently was so happy to see that Apple was going to replace because of this widespread issue of yet another graphics problem with Macbook Pros. Basically the screen goes black randomly, very often, when using the discrete card and the only way to fix it is to reboot and the only way to prevent it is to use the Intel chip only https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3191083?start=0&tstart=0.

I got my logic board replaced but another problem came up. Sometimes the screen would turn black from sleep and will not wake (this has happened only twice though since repair) and another problem is the screen will freeze and the only thing that will move is the cursor.

I naturally was frustrated because I just want a computer that works as advertised. I didn't know what to do so I just sent an email to the Apple Store that repaired my computer. Surprisingly, I got a reply from the manager:

Mr [redacted]:

My name is Matt, I am one of the Managers here at Richmond, and would like to connect with at a time that is convenient for [sic], please provide [sic] with a phone # and a time to get in touch and I will call you to discuss further.
Thanks!

[Manager]

I provided my contact info and availability but didn't receive a call for 4 days. I had to email again and reply, after which the manager apologized by email and asked if he could contact me the next day. He called me at 8:30 PM and asked about my particular issues and he told me to set up an appointment and that he would leave some notes. So I scheduled an appointment for the next day but the Genius didn't even seem to know what I was talking about. It didn't seem like the manager even did anything. I could've just set up a Genius appointment myself. I'm not greedy, and I don't expect a new computer, but I just wanted to see what options I have for fixing my computer instead of keep on replacing logic boards. The Genius just told me that the freezing was probably a software issue and said the diagnostic tests didn't show any hardware problems.

I reluctantly went home and didn't just archive and install as suggested, but erased my hard drive and did a clean install of Lion. Within half and hour of reinstalling programs, the computer froze again and only the cursor would move. I also noticed a screw was missing from my bottom case. This prompted me to email the manager again and ask if I should just keep going through logic boards. The manager apologized again and sent this email:

Hi [Redacted], I'm sorry to here [sic] that we have been unable to resolve your issues. Let me know when I can call you and we can discuss this further.

[Manager]

It has been 3 days and still no call. How should I go about in handling this? It doesn't seem like the manager is very involved and his emails seem unprofessional and are full of mistakes. I just don't get the impression that the Apple Store is very professional. At least a follow up email saying how the store is busy and will call me back later is better than just cutting off communication. I don't want to keep emailing and be a pest, but at least give me some closure.

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
If it were me (I have Applecare) I would "kick the upstairs" Phone the support number on the Apple website. Explain politely what has happened, and also suggest (politely) that you feel that your issue is not being taken seriously.

At all times, have the documents and correspondence to hand so that you can give details if required.

I have never had to do this myself, but I never deal with Stores...Only direct and to the expert team.

If you do not have Applecare, it's still worth calling. I'm prepared to bet they will sort things out for you.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
I've had "an experience" with an Apple Store manager once, and it was similar in that he was all helpful one minute, then disappeared for days on end.

I'd send all the correspondence you've had so far in a nice package along with a new complaint to the next level above him.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I've had "an experience" with an Apple Store manager once, and it was similar in that he was all helpful one minute, then disappeared for days on end.

I'd send all the correspondence you've had so far in a nice package along with a new complaint to the next level above him.

I don't even know what the next level is. I am out of Apple Care and I don't want to get charged for calling in.

The manager gave me a call and he told me to come in and this time he will accompany through the Genius appointment. I get the feeling that he thinks I'm a big fuss because I suddenly lost a screw on my bottom case (which I honestly just found out). My computer hasn't done the crash/freeze for about a week so I don't know how strong a case I have.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Update

I went to the Apple Store and I saw the manager who was the definition of hipster. He kind of just sat there on the side and didn't say much, but this time the Genius went did more tests in front of me instead of bringing the computer to the back.

I told him my computer problems and he checked my Console logs and couldn't find messages of the computer being forced shut down. It is strange because I had to force shut down the computer a few times in the past few weeks.

In the end the Genius said that he will assume my logic board replacement is defective and he will also give me a brand new top case which includes the keyboard and trackpad.

I am so grateful for Apple's service because my computer technically is only under the 90 day warranty for the previous logic board replacement. I really hope they're not doing this to make me happy and that they actually end up finding the problem after running the diagnostics. I see so many Apple Discussions about my computer freezing issue and it's very frustrating to read so many people having the same problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.