Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Johnnybegoode
macrumors newbie

Profile manager seems slow to work

Hi guys
Completely new to servers - learning the hard (slow) way...
Just tinkering with Lion Server on a Mac Mini, setting it up to manage the various Apple computers and iOS devices in our house

So far so good with the services I've activated, but when tinkering with Profile Manager settings and pushing them to the various groups of devices, it seems to sit for ages on 'active tasks' of pushing out profiles. I've only been able to confirm one instance where a change I made was successfully adopted by my iMac (presume profile changes are only adopted at next login?) but my wife's MacBook (Lion) and all of our iOS devices seem reluctant to adopt profile changes.

Anybody got any thoughts?

Thanks

Johnnybegoode
Johnnybegoode is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:50 AM   #2
RedAntArmy
macrumors newbie

Johnny,

The default profile in the group "Everybody" does not get pushed you have to manually download it.

When you create other profiles, under General make sure you set the Profile Distribution Type to Automatic Push.

Hope this helps,

RedAntArmy
RedAntArmy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:17 AM   #3
rmgabriel
macrumors newbie

Profile manager seems slow to work

If your description of the problem is similar to what we are expecting, I have an Apple tech investigating the problem.

We've seen this problem starting with Lion server and now in Mt. Lion server. This has been seen on three different test servers. The common link is that they are all on the same network, though in different vlans. There are some payloads when set up, could sit in the Active Task window for an usual long period of time. By that I mean, if your payloads are related to a user configuration, it requires all of those users to log in to receive that task. If the payload is related to a device, though the Apple tech indicated these should automatically appear if the computer is online, we see that it might not take affect until the computer either restarts, boots up, or someone logs into the computer. But, we see where tasks simply seem to never complete. Or with a rebuild of the server, and a single Device Group and single device added, that task might remain active, even after that device has rebooted or logged in. That is what we believe is a possible problem.

If we ever get this worked out, I'll share the results.
rmgabriel is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking