Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
We are used to having the average Apple product cycle at.. what?.. 6-9 months? I don't know if Intel has the same product cycles, but let's assume they can pump out faster chips ever 3-5 months. Would Apple update their products each time to keep up? Or would Apple still wait the 6-9 months and just plop in the biggest and baddest processor available at that time? Will they update quietly or have big announcements?

Whatever they decide to do will affect the MacRumors buying guide. ;)

minimax

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
it's very likely product cycles will be shorter and less abrupt.
As apple will be less involved with the hardware design (they can order their pc boards and chipsets customized from taiwan) they can respond faster to changes.
Also, since Apple will be in direct competition with other pc vendors they will probably not be able to keep prices steady throughout the product cycle. I think it is pretty safe to assume Apple will need a more flexible pricing policy going down as the product gets older and up when there is a product refresh. A wider product range may also be very likely.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
In reply to that, if you think about it, Apple's product range is perfect. The only this it may be missing is a inexpensive G4 tower, but that's what the Mini's for. I think they have a great product library!

t^3

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
I wonder if we are going to be able to easily upgrade the CPU's just like in PC's today. I'd say that Apple can easily limit the CPU speed in hardware so that you couldn't just swap in a faster CPU, but would they actually do this?

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
I think they will stay about the same. About 6-8 months give or take but the upgrades will trounce anything you are use to today with regards to proc speed boost upgrades. That and you wont have to wait weeks for new products to ship,

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
t^3 said:
I wonder if we are going to be able to easily upgrade the CPU's just like in PC's today. I'd say that Apple can easily limit the CPU speed in hardware so that you couldn't just swap in a faster CPU, but would they actually do this?

The eMac and Mac Mini already have underclocked CPUs. Well, the eMac used to, the new chips in them may not be. But I do know the 1.25 GHz Mini is almost always able to hit 1.42 GHz, and it has been done before. eMacs too, they were 1.4 GHz chips set to 800 MHz. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.