Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:51 PM   #1
Jman298
macrumors newbie

Talking Full Format Iphone/Ipod touch

Hi everybody, I have an iPod touch and it is jailbroken. It is getting full and i would like to know how to do a full restore if possible. When I say "Full restore" what i mean is COMPLETELY wipe everything, not a restore, a restore is only a light format. I would like to know how to do this because doing a normal restore does not get rid of everything, like data left over from 3rd party apps. If anybody can tell me how to do this full restore it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Jman298 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:55 PM   #2
tremlock
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Settings - general - reset - erase all content and settings
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:07 PM   #3
Jman298
macrumors newbie

Thanks tremlock for the reply, but im pretty sure erasing from the settings doesnt do much and isnt an actual format.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:10 PM   #4
tremlock
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

It will set you back to factory settings. I'm not sure what you're looking for it that's not what you want.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 02:02 PM   #5
Jman298
macrumors newbie

Yea, that isnt waht i was looking for but thanks. Im not sure if what im looking for is even possible.
To be clear, i want to erase everything, a normal restore doesnt erase everything. I guess maybe what im looking for is an app that removes junk files left over from previous firmwares/ deleted apps. Do you know of any app in cydia that would remove junk files?

----------

Oh crap, i just realized i made a typo in my original post. I had said i wanted to "fully restore" it but what i meant is do a full format, like it just came out of the box without having any history of any data on it. (like a normal restore in itunes but more)
Old Jan 22, 2012, 02:46 PM   #6
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman298 View Post
Thanks tremlock for the reply, but im pretty sure erasing from the settings doesnt do much and isnt an actual format.
Note he said "erase all content and settings." That is a full erase of everything on the phone. apps, music, photos, videos, all content on the phone is removed.

That coupled with a DFU restore is as thorough as you can possibly get.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 03:01 PM   #7
Jman298
macrumors newbie

I realize this, but it wont actually get rid of EVERYTHING. This is unfortunately what i expected, oh well, guess ill just have to find and remove junk files myself. . I guess i will revise my thinking and post different questions o fullfill my needs.

Thanks anyways guys
Oh and one more hing, how do you close a thread? Lol, im new.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 07:09 PM   #8
007bond
macrumors 6502a

Oh, by the way, doing an "Erase all content and settings" on a jailbroken iPhone/iPod touch puts it into recovery mode. Just a heads up.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 07:55 PM   #9
stevemiller
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I realize this, but it wont actually get rid of EVERYTHING. This is unfortunately what i expected, oh well, guess ill just have to find and remove junk files myself. . I guess i will revise my thinking and post different questions o fullfill my needs.

Thanks anyways guys
Oh and one more hing, how do you close a thread? Lol, im new.
i'm not sure what you think gets left behind. i could be wrong, but when apple replaced my iPhone, they did the erase content and settings with me on my old unit, which they said removes *everything*

on top of that, whenever i've done an OS restore, i always chose "set up as new phone" rather than "restore from backup" which also seems to do what you're asking for.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:09 PM   #10
JeffreyDJ
macrumors regular

More than likely the OP has bad information from somewhere and isn't sure what he's asking or wanting...
JeffreyDJ is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:15 PM   #11
JerZyT28
macrumors regular

I'm pretty confused...people say erase all contents and do dfu restore...thought that restored it back to factory...OP must know something else
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:54 PM   #12
Jman298
macrumors newbie

Stevemiller: Well, I have a jailbroken iPod touch so, I actually can't do the "erase all content and settings" like 007bond said, it will go into recovery mode. As for the "set up as new phone" part, I do the same.

007bond: Yes, you are right and I knew that it does that, exactly why I didn't do it. As a matter of fact, I was going to restore my iPod anyways so I said screw it, and I hit "erase all content and settings" anyways, and it actually didn't do anything which is weird. What happened is it got stuck on the loading icon, so I restarted it and nothing had happened, it didn't get erased and everything was the same.

JeffreyDJ: I don't have bad information, just a question, maybe you didnt understand or maybe i didn't get my point across. As for not know what I'm asking or wanting, I know what i m asking and I assumed it wasn't possible. I'd rather you not answer if you aren't going to try to help out, which is the point of answering questions. And don't take this aggressive because I didn't sign up to argue.

----------

Just saying;I know all about iPods and how to do a dfu restore and recovery and all that good stuff, I was just curious if what I was asking is even possible.

----------

I guess this question wasn't thought out thoroughly enough. I would like to close this this thread, how might I go about doing this? (I just joined this site today)
Jman298 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:56 PM   #13
Tea-Aholic
macrumors 6502

The erase content in the settings menu does clear everything. It takes several hours on my old 16GB iPhone 3G. It write 0 to the flash drive I believe once. Then just restore/or upgrade in iTunes if you need to.
Tea-Aholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:00 PM   #14
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:
Stevemiller: Well, I have a jailbroken iPod touch so, I actually can't do the "erase all content and settings" like 007bond said, it will go into recovery mode.
Yes, and then you take it out of recovery mode by plugging your phone into a computer with iTunes and installing the iOS software. The phone is formatted and restored to factory settings. Problem solved.

Quote:
JeffreyDJ: I don't have bad information, just a question, maybe you didnt understand or maybe i didn't get my point across. As for not know what I'm asking or wanting,
Then perhaps you can enlighten us. You clearly think that something remains with the procedu we've suggested. What exactly remains, in your opinion, that still needs to be erased?
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:06 PM   #15
Jman298
macrumors newbie

Ohhhh I feel stupid. I thought it didn't work on my ipod I assumed it was stuck. Thanks for telling me this.
I take back what I said about know what I was asking, I am new to posting stuff and will think over my question and responses more. Now how the hell do I close this post?

----------

To all: I am not a noob to ios, I just posted a dumb question that seems to have not gotten its point across. I am going to close this thread once I figure out how.lol
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:07 PM   #16
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

You don't. Most threads stay open, and only mods can close them.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:13 PM   #17
Jman298
macrumors newbie

Oh, well I admit I am a noob at posting stuff......

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone