Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Annawilson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
Hi all, I really need some help with the very old and first 1st generation iPod.
I want to transfer all of my pictures from the iPod and put them onto my mac notebook. I have searched on google for all type of options to do this and I have tried downloading every system to try and copy my photos back onto my notebook.

Nothing stated in google works at all.

Does anyone know the best way of transferring my pictures onto my mac notebook?

Thanks

twitch88

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2011
Austin, TX
I never had one, but don't those old iPods have a way to boot up as an external HD? I'm not sure that would help even if you could. What msg is it giving you when you try and sync?

Acidglaze

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2008
Twitch88 is right. When connected to itunes, you should be able to enable disk mode for the ipod in the ipod settings. This will mount the ipod as an external USB drive. You should then be able to browse the ipod and copy over the pictures.

But the 1st gen ipod had no color and no picture displaying capabilities. Why on earth did you save pictures to it and not your mac?

charlieroberts

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007
Twitch88 is right. When connected to itunes, you should be able to enable disk mode for the ipod in the ipod settings. This will mount the ipod as an external USB drive. You should then be able to browse the ipod and copy over the pictures.

But the 1st gen ipod had no color and no picture displaying capabilities. Why on earth did you save pictures to it and not your mac?

There is a chance that this guys means a first gen iPod touch... I have found that people nowadays forget where the iPod comes from.

Or maybe he stored his pics in the iPod as an external drive, in which case I find it weird that he wouldn't remember how to turn on disk mode.

datafusion

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2002
It won't sync?

If the iPod syncs with iTunes, and the option to sync photos is selected in iTunes, then your photos should already be on your laptop. If the sync option is not selected, try turning it on, but BE CAREFUL that iTunes doesn't try to delete your photos on the first sync. It should warn you if it will do that.

But you can get the pictures directly off of the iPod when it's connected to the laptop as an external disk. To do this, you have to make sure that iTunes isn't configured to start up automatically when the iPod is connected. When the iPod is connected to iTunes, there will be a check box where you can de-select automatic iTunes startup.

Quit iTunes, unplug the iPod and then plug it back in. You should see the iPod show up as an external disk in a Finder window. Open it, and you should see a folder named 'Photos'.

You can copy your pictures from there. But be warned that they will be distributed through a large tree of folders, organizing the pictures by year, month, and day.

Acidglaze

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2008
There is a chance that this guys means a first gen iPod touch... I have found that people nowadays forget where the iPod comes from.

That may be true. I guess the OP's statement of it being very old 1st generation ipod would make me think of the original ipod. But, I may be showing my age against these youngsters :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.