Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:20 PM   #1
porcus-belle
macrumors newbie

Simple animation idea -what Mac Program?

I am an utter novice with most graphic matters (I do a little Pixelmator stuff now and then but that's about it). I want to an animation for a slide show which I'll try to describe. It begins with a picture of a person and that stays the same. What happens is white letters begin to fall down from above and steadily accumulate eventually burying the guy in snow. What went through my mind (cause I use Pixelmator) is to just make a tedious huge number of still shots, changing the position of the letters a small bit each time and saving each picture. Then I would try to use (not sure if this is possible) something like iMovie to put them all together. Is that feasible and/or are there better ways of doing such animations? Thanks for helping out a rank amateur!
porcus-belle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:44 PM   #2
ezekielrage_99
macrumors 68040

I'd give Motion a crack, it's should easily be able to do what you need it to. Though there is a little bit of a learning curve.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 01:31 AM   #3
crunchbox
macrumors newbie

Your idea is pretty simple to accomplish with the right software (I'm guessing this is the sticking point).

You can use Photoshop to create a .gif animation of this using tweening for the letter's motion. Equally you could also use Motion, Adobe After Effects, Flash.

If software really is the sticking point and you have no access to any of the aforementioned packages, it is completely doable in MS Powerpoint or Apple Keynote.

The term you need to understand is "tweening". I can't explain it as well as a million others surely have on the interwebs. This will save you heaps of time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tweening

Hope this helps..?

----------

I super-quick search of "animating in Keynote" found this link

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h.../en/c5kn4.html
crunchbox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 07:53 AM   #4
porcus-belle
macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks to both responders. I'm on that learning curve abour Tweening and software options as a result.
porcus-belle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 02:18 PM   #5
SatyMahajan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcus-belle View Post
I am an utter novice with most graphic matters (I do a little Pixelmator stuff now and then but that's about it). I want to an animation for a slide show which I'll try to describe. It begins with a picture of a person and that stays the same. What happens is white letters begin to fall down from above and steadily accumulate eventually burying the guy in snow. What went through my mind (cause I use Pixelmator) is to just make a tedious huge number of still shots, changing the position of the letters a small bit each time and saving each picture. Then I would try to use (not sure if this is possible) something like iMovie to put them all together. Is that feasible and/or are there better ways of doing such animations? Thanks for helping out a rank amateur!
Fastest way would be:

1. Create files for each of the 26 alphabets. Create one for your person. All files should have an alpha channel (i.e. transparent background)
2. Use After Effects + Particular and create 26 particle emitters utilizing one of each of the images above as the source. Make sure gravity is active and the particles are moving downward. You can adjust some of the parameters to make it swirl a bit (to look more like snowfall).
3. Make the composition 3D.
4. Create a floor layer.
5. Tell each of the 26 Particular emitters to user the floor layer as a floor.
6. Set the lifetime of the particles to be long enough that accumulation occurs to hide your image.
7. Profit.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Tags
animation simple