Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SimplyiOS

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

As the title states, I've recieved the tethering letter from AT&T. I then spoke with AT&T and from what I have gathered, they are able to detect the use of tethering. As far as I know, mywi has been detected and now, so has tetherme. In speaking with AT&T, as long as I do not tether anymore, I will retain my unlimited data. Just wanted to give a heads up and see what others thought. It appears the "fun" is over.

docgerrard

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

As the title states, I've recieved the tethering letter from AT&T. I then spoke with AT&T and from what I have gathered, they are able to detect the use of tethering. As far as I know, mywi has been detected and now, so has tetherme. In speaking with AT&T, as long as I do not tether anymore, I will retain my unlimited data. Just wanted to give a heads up and see what others thought. It appears the "fun" is over.

just curious, how much did you tether?

I literally tethered to load up one website today to try it out, and that was it.

I'm scared i'm going to receive a notice now :eek:

SimplyiOS

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012

I didn't tether much, but as they state, as long as they see it they will put a stop to it. This is my one and only warning apparently. Come the end of the month, if they detect tethering on my line, I will automatically be upgraded to the 5gb/tethering plan for $50. Seeing as AT&Ts new tiered data plans were released yesterday and they have been hitting myself and other users yesterday and today, I'd say they are trying to move more of "us" unlimited data users away.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Yes, that's known from the past cause many TetherMe users got the notices along with MyWi and PDAnet users. Even though PdaNet claims to have a stealth mode tethering but still nothing.
How much data did you use for that month till they detected you if you dont mind me asking?

halfsn

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2011
Two questions:

1) Were you tethering via Bluetooth, Wi-fi, or both?

2) Were you tethering to just an iPad, just a computer, or both?

Thanks!

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Has anyone who bought the Tether App that was available for a short period of time received the notice?

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I used PDANet to tether my iPad this past weekend for about 15 minutes to check few websites and no notice/email/letter yet!

SimplyiOS

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012

halfsn said:
Two questions:

1) Were you tethering via Bluetooth, Wi-fi, or both?

2) Were you tethering to just an iPad, just a computer, or both?

Thanks!

I was mainly tethering to a MacBook, via USB and sometimes via wifi

felixgun

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2012
This exact thing happened to me a while back on AT&T using MyWi on my iPhone 4... Now i'm on Verizon... wonder if they can detect jailbroken apps accessing the tethering option...

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Interesting.

I've been tethering for 40 minutes at a time, once per month, for the past year and a half, using MyWi. No notice from me on ATT, and I'm on an unlimited data plan. I seriously have to wonder if it had to deal with content being accessed for those who received this notice. For me, all that I've done with tethering is VPN into my job's network on my work laptop.

BL.

SimplyiOS

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2012

Applejuiced said:

Yes, that's known from the past cause many TetherMe users got the notices along with MyWi and PDAnet users. Even though PdaNet claims to have a stealth mode tethering but still nothing.
How much data did you use for that month till they detected you if you dont mind me asking?

I was at 9gb for the month.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
what about itether? anyone know?

I used both iTether App and PDANet last month when I went on vacation.
I got a notice for going over 2GB but not for tethering.
I normally use less than 1 GB per month on my unlimited.
Have not tethered this month yet.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
has it been confirmed that pdanet hides it well?

Missed this post?

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL

lol, ok no wonder they caught up to you.. Seriously, 9GB? Wow. Of course they had to look and see how you were getting 9 gigs.

mcarthon

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
So after using 9 gigs in a month AT&T realized you were using some type of hotspot jailbreak?!?!.....I think a drunk monkey could have realized that after you used over 9 gb in a month!

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA

They didn't do much LOL...anyone using that much data will get the notice, I've seen people (one of them a co-worker) that is not even Jailbreak and he was hitting the 4.5GB (he travels a lot and he stream his Plex library over 3G) and he got a notice about it. No matter what app you use, if you spike like that they will nail you.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.