Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:27 AM   #1
m117
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
2011 Macbook pro charger not working

hey all,
TOday i went to plug in my early 2011 macbook pro 13", and the charger seems to not be working.
i plug it in the wall, and the charger into the port, but the light doesnt go on, and it doesnt say that it is charging (ill go out on a limb and assume it isnt charging )
i was able to use a friends charger to charge it, but i am worried.
i have tried it in many different wall sockets, so thats not the problem

so what is wrong?
do i need a new charger or is it something i can fix?
how much does a new charger cost?

thanks a ton
-- m117

Last edited by m117; Jan 24, 2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: i wrote 2013, cause im dumb
m117 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:29 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
See the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters in the CHARGING section of the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:31 AM   #3
sweetbrat
macrumors 65816
 
sweetbrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Redford, MI
If it's actually a problem with the charger, as long as your MBP is under warranty you should be able to get it replaced. Go to an Apple store and have them take a look at it.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro 2.2GHz i7, Crucial M4 SSD (Early 2011); 15" MacBook Pro (late 2008); Mac Pro 1,1 2.66GHz Dual-Core Xeon; 32GB iPad Mini; iPhone 4S 32GB; 6th gen iPod Nano
sweetbrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:32 AM   #4
heisenberg123
macrumors 603
 
heisenberg123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by m117 View Post
hey all,
TOday i went to plug in my early 2011 macbook pro 13", and the charger seems to not be working.
i plug it in the wall, and the charger into the port, but the light doesnt go on, and it doesnt say that it is charging (ill go out on a limb and assume it isnt charging )
i was able to use a friends charger to charge it, but i am worried.
i have tried it in many different wall sockets, so thats not the problem

so what is wrong?
do i need a new charger or is it something i can fix?
how much does a new charger cost?

thanks a ton
-- m117
chargers should be covered under the warranty
__________________
15" i7 Quad Core MBP (Early 2011) 2.0GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB HD, AMD Radeon HD 6490M(Intel HD Graphics 3000) OSX 10.9
16GB Samsung Galaxy SIII with 32GB microSD
heisenberg123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:36 AM   #5
David085
macrumors 6502a
 
David085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Go to your local Apple Store and get the charger replace
__________________

Apple
David085 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:42 AM   #6
Interstella5555
macrumors 603
 
Interstella5555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Make sure it's not plugged into the usb port, that magnet can be problematic when plugging in blind :-)
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:51 AM   #7
alphaod
macrumors Core
 
alphaod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 上海 (Shanghai)
Try to perform an SMC reset, if that doesn't fix it, and your friend's adapter works, I think it's safe to assume you need a new power adapter. If your computer is in warranty, you can get it replaced for free. Even if it's out of warranty, you may get a more lenient Genius who will replace it for free out of warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
Make sure it's not plugged into the usb port, that magnet can be problematic when plugging in blind :-)
Except the magnet is on the computer, not on the adapter-side
__________________
Mac Pro | iMac | Mac mini | MacBook Pro | MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod
alphaod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 02:50 PM   #8
Interstella5555
macrumors 603
 
Interstella5555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
Try to perform an SMC reset, if that doesn't fix it, and your friend's adapter works, I think it's safe to assume you need a new power adapter. If your computer is in warranty, you can get it replaced for free. Even if it's out of warranty, you may get a more lenient Genius who will replace it for free out of warranty.



Except the magnet is on the computer, not on the adapter-side
Well, something's sticking there, both my 2006 Rev 1.1 and my new 2011 i7 do it :-)
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:19 PM   #9
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
Well, something's sticking there, both my 2006 Rev 1.1 and my new 2011 i7 do it :-)
The plug gets somewhat magnetized after being plugged in so long, but the magnet is in the MBP, not the adapter plug.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Booting from USB drives on 2011 MacBook Pro lavem MacBook Pro 19 May 17, 2012 01:48 PM
2011 MacBook Pro or 2012 MacBook Pro? MJNBGA MacBook Pro 68 Feb 18, 2012 10:21 PM
2011 MacBook Pro Review Collection - Submission Request abhic MacBook Pro 10 Feb 11, 2012 04:31 AM
some apps not working on os x lion? thunderboltmac Mac OS X 10.7 Lion 2 Nov 22, 2011 09:11 PM
Macbook Pro Charger Not Working weekendsrule32 Mac Basics and Help 3 May 4, 2009 03:36 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC