Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m117

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
hey all,
TOday i went to plug in my early 2011 macbook pro 13", and the charger seems to not be working.
i plug it in the wall, and the charger into the port, but the light doesnt go on, and it doesnt say that it is charging (ill go out on a limb and assume it isnt charging :p)
i was able to use a friends charger to charge it, but i am worried.
i have tried it in many different wall sockets, so thats not the problem

so what is wrong?
do i need a new charger or is it something i can fix?
how much does a new charger cost?

thanks a ton
-- m117

Last edited:

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
If it's actually a problem with the charger, as long as your MBP is under warranty you should be able to get it replaced. Go to an Apple store and have them take a look at it.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
hey all,
TOday i went to plug in my early 2011 macbook pro 13", and the charger seems to not be working.
i plug it in the wall, and the charger into the port, but the light doesnt go on, and it doesnt say that it is charging (ill go out on a limb and assume it isnt charging :p)
i was able to use a friends charger to charge it, but i am worried.
i have tried it in many different wall sockets, so thats not the problem

so what is wrong?
do i need a new charger or is it something i can fix?
how much does a new charger cost?

thanks a ton
-- m117

chargers should be covered under the warranty

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Try to perform an SMC reset, if that doesn't fix it, and your friend's adapter works, I think it's safe to assume you need a new power adapter. If your computer is in warranty, you can get it replaced for free. Even if it's out of warranty, you may get a more lenient Genius who will replace it for free out of warranty.

Make sure it's not plugged into the usb port, that magnet can be problematic when plugging in blind :)

Except the magnet is on the computer, not on the adapter-side ;)

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Try to perform an SMC reset, if that doesn't fix it, and your friend's adapter works, I think it's safe to assume you need a new power adapter. If your computer is in warranty, you can get it replaced for free. Even if it's out of warranty, you may get a more lenient Genius who will replace it for free out of warranty.

Except the magnet is on the computer, not on the adapter-side ;)

Well, something's sticking there, both my 2006 Rev 1.1 and my new 2011 i7 do it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.