Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community

Old Jun 9, 2005, 11:07 AM   #1
sebisworld
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to sebisworld Send a message via MSN to sebisworld
What to do in Boston Airport...

...for 15 hours? Any ideas?

I'm going to Alaska on Tuesday and since I don't have the money to pay Icelandairs ridiculous prices, I decided just to go to Boston with them and to get a second ticket for the last part of the trip - which is considerably longer and considerably cheaper (Reykjavik - Boston costs more than twice as much as Boston - Anc). The only problem I ended up with are two huge layovers... one 15-hour one at night and one during the day. During the day someone will pick me up... but what is there to do from 6 pm onwards at the airport? How long does it take to go into the city?

It's gonna be so much fun, especially since my iPod only does 12 hours and my Powerbook will be in repair. I hope I can catch some sleep. Is there an Apple Store close by?

Thanks for helping me out here.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 11:10 AM   #2
jsw
Moderator emeritus

You can take the subway or public transportation into the city, which is very close to the airport.

Here is a good source of schedules and maps of the transit system. If you get downtown, there's a wealth of stuff to see right near the subway - the aquarium (OK but not stellar), etc. Have fun!
Old Jun 9, 2005, 11:11 AM   #3
jsw
Moderator emeritus

How to get to a local Apple Store:

http://www.apple.com/retail/cambridgeside/map/
Old Jun 9, 2005, 11:16 AM   #4
sebisworld
macrumors 6502

Yeah, I was thinking about that. But I would be downtown at about 8 pm - and that's probably when most places for people under 21 begin closing. Even that big mall closes at 9.

And also, how safe is the subway? Is it okay to take the last train back to the airport or should I go before sunset?
Old Jun 9, 2005, 11:21 AM   #5
eva01
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to eva01 Send a message via MSN to eva01 Send a message via Yahoo to eva01
subways are fine at night, try to get a ticket to watch a sox game, if they are home, which i believe they will be on the NL interleague tour, could always see the garden. but there is a great anime store in harvard square called tokyo kid, also a great sushi restaurant in harvard square as well
Old Jun 9, 2005, 11:36 AM   #6
MacFan782040
macrumors 6502a

Even though I am a Yankee Fan, Boston is an awesome city. I was there my first time last month and it's a beautiful city. Lots of history!
MacFan782040 is offline   0
Old Jun 9, 2005, 11:38 AM   #7
jsw
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebisworld
Yeah, I was thinking about that. But I would be downtown at about 8 pm - and that's probably when most places for people under 21 begin closing. Even that big mall closes at 9.
Restaurants - including ones near the subway - will be open - might be a nice place to kill time (has to be better than the airport).

How long is your night stay - 6 pm through the next morning? Are you planning to sleep at the airport?
Old Jun 10, 2005, 05:29 AM   #8
5300cs
macrumors 68000

I used to work at Logan, Terminal C. At night that place is a ghost town. Think Tom Hanks in The Terminal when he's waiting for the phone call from the electronics store.

I would definitely suggest going downtown. To Government Center by Blue Line it's only about 7 or so stops and it's not that dangerous. From there you can hit Park Street, or go into Copley Square or Kenmore Square in no time and find some place to eat, or just hang around and people watch.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 07:00 AM   #9
sebisworld
macrumors 6502

Yes, I was planning to sleep at the airport. I've done it before and it possibly can't be worse (I was at La Guardia - me and the cleaning women - and hardly slept because they had CNN Airport Edition on all night repeating the same news about the war in Iraq over and over again).

My plane leaves at 6 somethingish in the morning. So unless I can check in the day before (which I doubt) I will have to take the last train at 12:30 to the airport.

I just hope Boston is a cool place. But then again, there's the Atlantic ocean and I can spend just staring at something like that.

And I'm already looking forward to eating at McDonald's again. The charge like 13 dollars for a menu in Iceland!

Thank you guys very much!

Last edited by sebisworld; Jun 10, 2005 at 07:04 AM.
sebisworld is offline   0
Old Jun 10, 2005, 07:15 AM   #10
selloutvixen
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to selloutvixen Send a message via Yahoo to selloutvixen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw
How to get to a local Apple Store:

http://www.apple.com/retail/cambridgeside/map/
That apple store is not easily accessed by the subway. The closest stop is roughly a 20 minute walk away. Granted it's Cambridge, so it's safe.. ish.

My advice as a Bostonian? Go to the aquarium. It's open for most of the day (I forget the exact hours) and the Blue Line (which is right at the airport) on the T goes right to it. They have an iMax theatre as well and when you're done, head over to Quincy Market for some food, or to Downtown Crossing (orange line) for some shopping. If you REALLY have some time to kill, take the orange line to Back Bay and do more shopping or a Boston Duck Tour. SUPER touristy, but fun as hell. Quack quack.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 02:10 PM   #11
latergator116
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to latergator116
Quote:
Originally Posted by selloutvixen
That apple store is not easily accessed by the subway. The closest stop is roughly a 20 minute walk away. Granted it's Cambridge, so it's safe.. ish....
Actually, if you take the green line (which I guess technically isn't a subway) to Science Park, it is only a 5-10 minute walk.

Last edited by latergator116; Jul 16, 2005 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Meant to say "walk," not "park"
latergator116 is offline   0
Old Jun 10, 2005, 06:15 PM   #12
5300cs
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by latergator116
Actually, if you take the green line (which I guess technically isn't a subway) to Science Park, it is only a 5-10 minute park.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the whole section of elevated railway between Haymarket and Lechmere has been taken down, and replaced with shuttle buses. Is that finished? If not, taking a bus through that area in the evening is going to take much more than 5-10 minutes.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 06:33 PM   #13
latergator116
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5300cs
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the whole section of elevated railway between Haymarket and Lechmere has been taken down, and replaced with shuttle buses. Is that finished? If not, taking a bus through that area in the evening is going to take much more than 5-10 minutes.
I think you may be right. The last time I went there I had to take a bus, but I just firgured it was a temporary problem.

Last edited by latergator116; Jul 16, 2005 at 06:15 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 02:29 PM   #14
sebisworld
macrumors 6502

Back!

Okay, here I am again. I have been back for a little over a week now, and having mastered the jetlag, I am here to report:

The first night in boston was utter ****. I got there three hours late, which was good in they way that I only had about 10 hours to waste, but really bad as everything closes at 10 in the airport. So there was no place to get food with the exception of Dunkin' Donuts (and I did not feel like donuts at all). After I figured that fact out, I was told there also were no lockers to store luggage, which meant going downtown was impossible. So I just walked around for little while, looking for a comfy place to stay. I found some nice rockin' chairs and fell asleep on them, only to wake up shivering about an hour later. The air conditioning - they only thing at Lagon that isn't turned off or shut down during the night - was providing a little too much cold. So I got up again, walked, walked, walked, passing by almost no other passengers (it really did feel like being in that "The Terminal" movie), and getting more and more annoyed by the advertisements for the great food court that were aired over the loudspeakers. At 4 am I went to the check-in and after waiting for about an hour (the lady at the counter had no clue and the passenger in front of me had some trouble with her ticket) I was finally ready to leave Boston.

On the way back, I had the day to spend there. Other than being dressed up as an Alaskan in 100 degree weather, it was a lot better. This time, I just left my bag on the baggage claim and went downtown, where I was supposed to meet a girl I know from two years ago, but sadly didn't. So I just followed your advises and did the MacRumors tour of Bsoton. It was very nice. Thank you for that.

But what's up with all those Dunkin' Donuts stores and entire parts of Boston just being covered in iPod ads?
Old Jul 16, 2005, 05:48 PM   #15
latergator116
macrumors 68000

Quote:
.....But what's up with all those Dunkin' Donuts stores and entire parts of Boston just being covered in iPod ads?
Dunkin' Donuts stores are *everywhere* around here. I think they are most popular for their coffee, though. I heard somewhere that Rhode Island has the most donut shops per square mile, which doesn't surprise me at all.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 06:00 PM   #16
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

Quote:
But what's up with all those Dunkin' Donuts stores
Dunkin' Donuts started in the area (in Quincy, right next to Boston).
Quote:
and entire parts of Boston just being covered in iPod ads?
Oh, that one's easy. There are 842 colleges and universities per square meter in Boston.
iMeowbot is offline   0
Old Jul 16, 2005, 07:07 PM   #17
puckhead193
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMeowbot
Dunkin' Donuts started in the area (in Quincy, right next to Boston).

Oh, that one's easy. There are 842 colleges and universities per square meter in Boston.
how come their are no 24 hr. dunkin donuts around milton... (at least i haven't been able to find)

Can you name all 842 colleges/universities?
iPod Touch, 64 GB iPhone 5, 64 GB iPad 3
puckhead193 is offline   0
Old Jul 16, 2005, 09:10 PM   #18
saabmp3
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to saabmp3
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead193
how come their are no 24 hr. dunkin donuts around milton... (at least i haven't been able to find)
Because Milton is a rich, boring suburb. Go downtown if you want one. The closest one I can think of is on dot ave, but with you out in the boonies of Milton, that's a pain to get to.

People live in Milton so they can be close to the city, but not have to endure the 24/7 lifestyle associated with cities.

BEN
saabmp3 is offline   0
Old Jul 16, 2005, 09:55 PM   #19
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead193
Where are you at, Curry? I'd be more worried about getting mauled by the bears hiding in the woods out there than finding donuts.
Quote:
Can you name all 842 colleges/universities?
Which square meter?
iMeowbot is offline   0
Old Jul 17, 2005, 11:01 AM   #20
Plymouthbreezer
macrumors 601

Dunkin' Donuts is super big here, as others have said. Even out by my way in Worcester, we have lots of them around (at least 4 or 5 within 2 miles of my house).

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community