Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

9to5Mac reports that it has received word from a "reliable" source at Foxconn that Apple is gearing up to begin production of the iPhone 5, suggesting that the company could be pushing for a mid-year launch more in line with pre-iPhone 4S debuts.
The source said various sample devices are also floating around (which vary slightly from one another) so it is impossible to tell which one will be the final. Some things in common with all of them, however, are:

- 4+ inch display (made by LG on at least one of them)
- No teardrop-shaped devices as were rumored in the lead up to the iPhone 4S. Samples so far have been symmetrical in thickness. Also longer/wider.
- None of the sample devices have the iPhone 4/4S form factor
- None of the devices are final versions
The report notes that the start of production seems to be coming several months ahead of last year's schedule, indicating that Apple could be targeting a launch well ahead of last year's October debut of the iPhone 4S. Consequently, Apple could be returning to its traditional iPhone launch pattern of an introduction at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference (typically held in June) with availability in the first batch of countries coming just a few weeks later.

foxconn_workers.jpg

Some of the details of today's report are very similar to those shared in an iLounge report from last November that also claimed a 4-inch next-generation iPhone 5 without a teardrop shape was being targeted for a summer launch.

Speculation on Apple's next-generation iPhone launch timing has been split, with some observers suggesting that the iPhone 4S was an anomaly for Apple and that it will return to the usual mid-year timeframe, while others have suggested that moving back to the mid-year launch would make for an extremely short lifecycle for the iPhone 4S.

Update: Daring Fireball's John Gruber specifically refutes the claim that iPhone 5 production is starting up. He also doubts the claim that the device is likely to be longer and wider that the current form factor, although he does not appear to suggest that he has specific knowledge on that aspect.

Article Link: Apple Gearing Up for iPhone 5 Production Ahead of Summer Launch? [Updated]

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Aw, I was looking forward to the tear-drop. Really easy and comfortable to hold, but also easy to pick up off a table (try picking an iPhone 4/S off the table).

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think the 4S delay was deliberate to shift the iPhone release to Fall. With the iPod waning in popularity, Apple needed a new device for the holiday season. Plus, with a March release for the iPad, they have a good 6 months to engineer the new iPad features into the smaller iPhone.

MacBookPro13"

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2011
Ireland
Aw, I was looking forward to the tear-drop. Really easy and comfortable to hold, but also easy to pick up off a table (try picking an iPhone 4/S off the table).

Very hard. I once accidentaly put my iPhone on the table, couldn't pick it up for a week.

and-now-we-know-knowing-is-half-battle-demotivational-poster-1249872376.jpg

Last edited:

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
MacBookPro13";14217184 said:
Very hard. I once accidentaly put my iPhone on the table, couldn't pick it up for a week :rolleyes:

I had a similar problem trying to get some files of my Mac.

9B8rL.jpg

GS17

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Nickpocalypse said:

I pick mine up by grabbing it by the sides with light pressure and lifting up. It's really not that complicated.

You're holding it wrong!!!

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
MacBookPro13";14217173 said:

Not sure why this is getting downvoted; I thought it was funny. :rolleyes:

And I agree - I held off on the 4S, so I'm buying a 5 pretty much no matter what shape/screen/wireless standard/color choices/siri voices/megapixels/number of cores... ;)

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
If Apple release the next iPhone in the summer, what will they announce in the fall?
iPods are no longer significant enough on their own, to warrant a standalone event.
Here's how I see the mobile rollout strategy:

Spring: iPad.
Summer: WWDC & new iOS.
Fall: iPhone and iOS release(feat. iPods).

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I think it is silly to think that Apple delays a launch in any significant degree based on just scheduling. Products come out when the manufacturing process can be done at volume for the right price.

If the iPhone 5 can be constructed for about the same price as the iPhone 4S, the Apple will launch it as soon as it is ready. Apple doesn't like other phones having better specs so they aren't going to just hold off for the heck of it when a design is ready to go.

iPhone 5 is dependent on that new LTE chip. When that chip is ready, then iPhone 5 can come out. Size is increasing to allow for bigger battery. Increased screen real estate comes at loss of "pocket fit". Basically that is an even swap for most guys as we carry our phones in our front pocket. (Not saying women don't as well from time to time, but most seem to carry their phone in their purse where space is not at such a premium.)

sl1200mk2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2006
I'll be all over whatever is released to upgrade from my i4. I'm ready for Siri and the improved camera. Would be awesome to get a larger screen! I wouldn't mind the slightly bigger form factor at all.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011

it's particularly hard for those of us without hands.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
I can understand shortening the 4S's release to only 9 months but I think giving the customers time to get over the iPad and incorporate it's features into the new iPhone make more sense.

Nonetheless, I hope they release the 5 earlier rather than later.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
- 4+ inch display (made by LG on at least one of them)
- None of the sample devices have the iPhone 4/4S form factor

More of the same nonsense that preceded 4S release. Apple is not going to significantly increase screen size and physical footprint of the next iPhone. They will be happy to leave the "hummer sized phone" market to Android.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007

Apple is never returning to its traditional (predictable) release schedule. The whole point is to be less predictable so sales don't drop off a cliff when customers start waiting for a new one. The transition was painful last fall but the hard part is past.

I just saw some dummy cnet advice columnist advise someone that upgrading her 3G to the 4S would be a bad idea since a new phone was due in the fall. Hello?!? Thats a 3 month old phone you're deeming too old to bother! And the replacement is not due any time soon!

leukotriene

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
It's not an iPhone. It's the long-overdue iPod touch, which is larger in size to appeal to gamers and to give iPhone owners a reason to buy an iPod.

Bolo4u

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2009

And if I'm really in a hurry, I just pick up the entire table...

shompa

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
*hint* Iphone5 will be released 3 month after iOS 6 beta.
The reason for iPhone 4S delay was because of iOS5 and iCloud integration.

Lets hope for an iOS 6 beta event in April. Then we will have a summer iPhone.

The prototype Iphone5 have been ready since mid last year. TSMC problem with 28nm manufacturing delayed the redesigned iPhone. Apple needs 28nm for A6 + LTE chips.

TSMC needs to manufacture an insane amount of wafers for Apple to meet Apples demand of about 20 million A6 SoCs per month.

leukotriene

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
I think it is silly to think that Apple delays a launch in any significant degree based on just scheduling. Products come out when the manufacturing process can be done at volume for the right price.

If the iPhone 5 can be constructed for about the same price as the iPhone 4S, the Apple will launch it as soon as it is ready. Apple doesn't like other phones having better specs so they aren't going to just hold off for the heck of it when a design is ready to go.

iPhone 5 is dependent on that new LTE chip. When that chip is ready, then iPhone 5 can come out. Size is increasing to allow for bigger battery. Increased screen real estate comes at loss of "pocket fit". Basically that is an even swap for most guys as we carry our phones in our front pocket. (Not saying women don't as well from time to time, but most seem to carry their phone in their purse where space is not at such a premium.)

I agree with your sentiment, but the software is always the limiting factor in terms of time to launch. Apple won't ship a new phone until iOS 6 is ready.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.