Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AntJon82

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
NYC
i have early 2011 13" Macbook Pro i thinking installig lion i got 8gig of system memory will i see a better difference performance and less beachballs & etc between snow leopard & lion or do they run the same??? p.s. i have my system booting in 64bit mode as well
i mainly use my system for web surfing,email,facebook and iMovie video editing and uploading to youtube via avchd files made into h.264 mov files 720p

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
i have early 2011 13" Macbook Pro i thinking installig lion i got 8gig of system memory will i see a better difference performance and less beachballs & etc between snow leopard & lion or do they run the same??? p.s. i have my system booting in 64bit mode as well
i mainly use my system for web surfing,email,facebook and iMovie video editing and uploading to youtube via avchd files made into h.264 mov files 720p

Snow leopard defaults to 64bit on core i processors..

Had Lion back on Snow Leopard

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I have Lion on all my machines. I was a MobileMe customer and I liked it so I was "coerced" into going to Lion. Now that I have it, I like iCloud in some ways better than I liked MobileMe.

As far as the OS is concerned, I actually liked Snow Leopard better but it's not a big enough difference for me to bother rolling back as I'm not having any major issues.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Test it out yourself. Create a new partition for it or use an external drive.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Some think so, others do not.

What really matters is what you think of it, for your needs.

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
For me Lion is better then SL I wish they do have a intro video at the first of use when you start up the Mac for the first time like they do for Leopard, and Snow Leopard, and others in the past well I still like Lion better :D IMHO.

AntJon82

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
NYC
Thks but i need more detailed feedback

SO WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN LION & SNOW LEOPARD

I MEAN WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS TO THE HARDWARE IN OUR MACBOOK PRO' 2011's
I DOWNLOADED LION AND PUT IT ON MY 8GIG FLASH DRIVE AS BACKUP AND I WANT TO INSTALL THE .DMG FILE BUT WILL I LOSE MY APPS AND MUSIC I DOWNLOADED?
APP LIKE MACKEEPER,FORSTWIRE,HOTSHIELD AND ETC

Last edited by a moderator:

SKTHEPREZ

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2012
570, PA
Lion vs Snow Leopard

I have noticed that Lion's gestures make it far superior as far as tasks. The only downfall is I also have the early 2011 version of the 13" MBP. The only problem I have is the pinwheel freezes a lot coming out of sleep or restart mode, and I have to physically power the MBP off, which is frustrating, time wasting, and scary. Why would a laptop this new have these issues? :apple::apple::apple:

WSR

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Each person is different. According to 1 poll on this site about 1/3 switched from Lion back to SL, but that poll might go back to 10.7.0. So I don't know how many have gone back to Lion.

Personally, I sticking with SL. My current list of issue with Lion are:
#1 The downgrading of Spaces and Expose. I find Mission Control to be less powerful, and I'm sure Apple can give us a choice between Classic Spaces/Expose and Mission Control.
#2 Lion's Full-Screen mode makes multiple monitors nearly useless. Snow Leopard's Full-Screen mode is in general better. True this is specific to the app, but it generally worked better, especially when you want to watch a video in Full-screen mode on 1 monitor while continuing to work on the 2nd monitor.
#3 The loss of the "Save As..." option.
#4 The loss of "Do you want to Save?"
#5 I don't want Resume, Versions or AutoSave and not all of these can be turned off.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
It seems If you ever used Snow Leopard, there's a chance you won't like Lion. Otherwise, if you're new to OSX then you'll never miss what you never had so everything will be bunnies, rainbows and lollipops.

Seems to be how it's been working out.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
It seems If you ever used Snow Leopard, there's a chance you won't like Lion.

There's also a chance you will.

And there's also a chance that new OS X users that have only used Lion might also not like Lion.

In other words, there is no correlation between Snow Leopard use and liking or not liking Lion.

ahdfox

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2010
Here
Lion makes some big changes in some people's workflows.

If you use the filesystem to manage document versions, Lion breaks more than 25 years of tradition, expectations, and processes. It offers Autosave and Versions to replace that, but for me, that's not a useful replacement (don't always want to save, and documents too complex to differentiate much using versions), and there are a bunch of missing shortcuts.

Get a Lion machine and try to search by filename in the Finder. See for yourself.

All the above has me going back to 10.6, and getting rid of my new Lion-locked iMac and getting a slightly older refurb that came with Snow Leopard. First time I've ever taken a Mac back; couldn't believe it but the Autosave/Versions/Revert workflow in it's current implementation is a deal breaker for me. Autosave on/off switch by App, restored keyboard shortcuts, and some serious bug fixes and I'd be on the Lion bandwagon in a day.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
In other words, there is no correlation between Snow Leopard use and liking or not liking Lion.
LOL! I think the Spaces/Expose`users would call you to task on this statement.

But of course... MC is better and even though we've used both it's all our minds so what the hell do we know? :D

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004

Some of us Exposé users didn't even really like the Snow Leopard version of it:

sl.jpg

In some ways, Mission Control is more like the Tiger version of Exposé again:

tiger.jpg

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
MacKeeper
You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps like MacKeeper to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

Five Mac maintenance myths

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

But of course... MC is better and even though we've used both it's all our minds so what the hell do we know? :D

So you're saying I've never used Leopard or Snow Leopard because I happen to like MC better ? :rolleyes:

You're entitled to your opinion and I respect it, it's about darn time you started respecting the opinion of others.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
I am not a power user. Than being said, the things I do on the puter I have gotten used to doing a certain way. And I find that Lion is changing the whole paradigm of how things should be done. I, for one, don't like it. It's not an issue of not liking change. I have gone from OS9 all the way to Lion on the Mac side, and from DOS 3.0 all the way to Windows 7 on the PC side, and liked all the changes. There are things in Lion that "fixed what wasn't broken". It is something I am seeing more and more in Apple products. iCloud is another example. If you do it the way Apple wants you too, then all is fine. But if you want to do it a slightly different way, heaven help you because Apple doesn't give you the option.

I don't intend to debate whether Apple is right or wrong. But I. like others, have started questioning what is going on and wish Apple would give us the OPTION of doing it the old way. Does that mean I will get left behind? Possibly. But to me, Lion wasn't a step forward, it was a step sideways and I don't recommend Lion to anyone who asks my opinion.

AntJon82

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
NYC
Marty

So what ya honest opinions or what are wrong with lion cause i downloaded it but dindt install it yet?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So what ya honest opinions or what are wrong with lion cause i downloaded it but dindt install it yet?
Have you read the thread? People have already given their opinions. Some prefer Lion and some prefer Snow Leopard. You won't find a consensus. Try Lion if you want to. Don't try it if you don't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.