Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Jan 25, 2012, 02:53 PM   #1
AceCoolie
macrumors regular

Absinthe iPad2 Jailbreak and iTunes backup password

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to jailbreak my iPad 2 with the latest Absinthe 0.3 jailbreak but it complains that my device has a backup password that needs to be disabled.

I'm running this on my work PC that I since my iPhone 4 to. It does have an encrypted backup but I've never synced my iPad with this machine. I just connected it and clicked cancel in iTunes when it prompted me to sync to this library. I then just closed iTunes and ran the jailbreak.

I also tried to removed the password but I can't. It appears that you can't enter a blank encryption password. Can anyone help me out? How do I remove the password?
AceCoolie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 02:55 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors G5

Uncheck the box that says "Encrypt backups".
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:24 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 03:07 PM   #3
AceCoolie
macrumors regular

The checkbox was disabled but after rebooting my pc, it's not now and I've disabled it and started the jailbreak process.

Thanks!
AceCoolie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2012, 06:01 AM   #4
djschep
macrumors newbie

Doesn't work

Hey guys,

I know its been a while but i have a question about this. The checkbox for 'Encrypt Local Backup' is greyed out.

Any ideas?

djschep

[EDIT] Nevermind, i retored it and now it works!

Last edited by djschep; May 26, 2012 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Resolved
djschep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 07:31 AM   #5
tbird2340
macrumors member

I have this same problem and can't figure it out..

I know my password but I can't uncheck the box.. It's grayed out.. I restored from a backup and I still don't have the option to uncheck it.

I really don't want to do a factory restore and lose all my crap.. Any ideas?

Thanks
tbird2340 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 07:48 AM   #6
MattWeed9
macrumors member

I had the same problem when I did mine. I ended up having to do a full wipe of everything and restore it to stock. Then I was able to run it, but then it failed lol. Then I found out if you do a restore from iTunes, it would work. All it does is re download 5.1.1 and reinstall it, but it worked for me.
MattWeed9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 10:49 AM   #7
inkhorn
macrumors newbie

Lightbulb

For me, it was as simple as removing the configuration profile using the 'iPhone Configuration Utility', I then re-opened iTunes and was able to finally uncheck the 'encrypt backups' box which had previously been greyed-out.
inkhorn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 01:49 PM   #8
Dima470
macrumors regular

simple answer you guys, use iCloud backups. much better.
Dima470 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012, 01:41 PM   #9
Oceans21
macrumors newbie

Works for me too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkhorn View Post
For me, it was as simple as removing the configuration profile using the 'iPhone Configuration Utility', I then re-opened iTunes and was able to finally uncheck the 'encrypt backups' box which had previously been greyed-out.
This worked for me as well. Before this step, I also removed my corporate email account that mandated this policy (though I suspect that removing profile would have triggered this as well, though they're not explicitly linked). After completing the jailbreak process, I re-enabled accounts, passwords and encryption successfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dima470 View Post
simple answer you guys, use iCloud backups. much better.
I'm not sure how that's "simply much better", to paraphrase you. If you use your iPhone for work, then that might not be possible. Perhaps more importantly, if you're concerned about data protection/privacy, you might not want your backups on a third party system even if it's allowed.
Oceans21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:32 AM   #10
ztech350
macrumors newbie

Talking worked like a charm

Quote:
Thanks for the tip! deleted my config utility file, and the box un-grayed itself in itunes.
ztech350 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:16 AM   #11
ramhero
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
Uncheck the box that says "Encrypt backups".
Thanks for the simple answer!
ramhero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2012, 07:23 PM   #12
15cpatterson
macrumors newbie

Quote:
How do you remove the configuration profile? I know that you have to use the iPhone Configuration Utility but how do you get to this utility? Is it on the iPhone or on iTunes and how do you get to it? Also will this work for an iPad? Thanks.
15cpatterson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:23 PM   #13
Ultimate One
macrumors newbie

Hi everybody.
I have a problem in jalbreaking my iPod 4g. When I lunch Absinthe 2, it shows an error and says I must disable the backup password (though I haven't set one). When I open iTunes and click Encrypt local backup to uncheck it, it wants a back up password from me, but I don't have one.
Will you help me?
Ultimate One is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:27 PM   #14
boshii
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate One View Post
Hi everybody.
I have a problem in jalbreaking my iPod 4g. When I lunch Absinthe 2, it shows an error and says I must disable the backup password (though I haven't set one). When I open iTunes and click Encrypt local backup to uncheck it, it wants a back up password from me, but I don't have one.
Will you help me?
Just update and use evasi0n
boshii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:44 PM   #15
Ultimate One
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshii View Post
Just update and use evasi0n
But I want to stay on 5.1 'cause 6.1 has some bugs and doesn't support some tweaks that I have bought...
Isn't there anyway to disable the password?
Ultimate One is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks