Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacCoaster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
https://jobs.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebO.../EbZc5vUPIQL42cELozA1pj98z76/4.2.22.9.2.0.9.3

Title: Lead Systems Design Engineer - iPOD
Req. ID: 1868297

Responsible for electrical design of cool and stylish Apple products. This person will be a member of a top-notch team with responsibilities for the design, implementation, and integration of digital electronics. The applicant should be familiar with computer system architecture and digital design. Duties include schematic capture, prototype bring-up and debugging, hardware bug tracking, functional verification, signal characterization, and manufacturing support.

May work with outside vendors providing new components or electrical assemblies. Assist and track progress of groups who qualify the product such as reliability, EMC, and safety. Responsible for transitioning product to manufacturing and for working on cost reduction. Must be familiar with battery-operated devices and power consumption estimation. Good communication, analytical, and documentation skills desired. May involve international travel to manufacturing sites.

BS/MS EE or equivalent required, as well as 5+ years experience needed. 3+ years in a lead role preferred. Experience in the following areas are important: SDRAM, Flash, ASIC’s, processor selection, ATAPI, various communication protocols (ie: GSM, Bluetooth, IEEE 802.116, Firewire, and USB), display types and audio and analog integration.
Now, why would they need GSM, Bluetooth, IEEE 802.116, Firewire and, *gasp* USB. :)

Rumor away... it's MacRumors.com after all. :D

Anon

macrumors member
May 23, 2002
Re: Interesting info on iPod Lead Systems Engineer Job description...

Originally posted by MacCoaster

Now, why would they need GSM, Bluetooth, IEEE 802.116, Firewire and, *gasp* USB. :)

Rumor away... it's MacRumors.com after all. :D [/B]

IEEE 802.116 is probably a mistake by the HR person who wrote up the job description. They probably saw either 802.11b or 802.11G and thought the b or
G was a 6. HR people don't always have much of an idea of what the company they work for actually does. I once knew one who worked for a computer company that thought a monitor was the computer itself and no the computer wasn't an iMac it was a PC.

An iPod with wireless networking with rendevous is a facinating idea. Especially when you consider using it with a Phillips or other brand stereo or car stereo.

Bluetooth may be there to dial numbers on you cell phone from your iPod. It could be a short range version of the wireless connection above or even used for bluetooth headphones. I'm personally not big on the idea of bluetooth headphones.

USB would make sense since Apple is chasing the PC market with the iPod now. Very few PCs have firewire cards but most made in the last 3 years have USB.

GSM is interesting..... Most likely for sending text messages via a cell phone. It also may indicate that a USB bus and/or bluetooth may be for input too. However if the iPod could send text messages without a cell phone...

Very nice find MacCoaster
:D

MacCoaster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
After I read a bit on it, you may be right. However, the mbps numbers for 802.116 doesn't... waaaaaaaaaaait...

Lemme do a look on 11g.

The aforementioned "116" is said to support up to 5.5 megabits per second according to this: http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cach...rs/02-05may.pdf+"IEEE+802.116"&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Yet, the 11g is said to support up to 55megabit.

Maybe you're right, Anon, maybe a typo on the site.

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
Let's hope it isn't 802.11g cause that won't work with 802.11b. I could be 802.11a which works with 802.11b. It could also be 802.11x which works with both 802.11a & 802.11b. :)

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by whfsdude
Let's hope it isn't 802.11g cause that won't work with 802.11b. I could be 802.11a which works with 802.11b. It could also be 802.11x which works with both 802.11a & 802.11b. :)

No, let's hope it IS 802.11g cuz it's 802.11b backwards compatible since they're on the same 2.4Ghz frequency.
It's 802.11a that's on a seperate one, 5Ghz I think.

Gawd, all these numbers are sooooooooo confusing.
I wish they'd get with one and stick with it, though shopping for wireless stuff isn't nearly as confusing as shopping for DVD burners.
eek21.gif
rolleyes.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.