Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:05 PM   #1
mtthwcmn1
macrumors member

Is it safe to buy a Refurbished iMac?

I have OCD, and love getting as close to perfection as I can get. I saw my friends refurbished iMac and it looked in perfect condition with no dead pixels or screen tinting or anything. Some people tell me that I will get one with dents and scratches and one that isn't good quality. The price savings seem worth it. I bought a new iPad 2 and had dead pixels and backlight bleeding and a friend got a perfect refurb one and 80 dollars back. I'm confused.
mtthwcmn1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 02:26 PM   #3
hotrats
macrumors newbie

Well, i just bought a refurbished iMac a few days ago. And i have to say it is in perfect condition. The computer even smelled new.
hotrats is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 02:45 PM   #4
mario24601
macrumors regular

Got mine little over a week and was perfect, I looked REALLY close with my surefire
I would/will buy refurb again for sure, only way to tell was refurb was the white box it came it but looks like it was never used!
mario24601 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:02 PM   #5
panzer06
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Apple Certified Refurbished Products are only available from the online Apple Refurb Store. They are a good value, as hundreds have reported. Read the first link above to see details about the refurbishing process.

If you want more information, here are just a few of many threads on this topic, found by searching the forum:

Buying advice please, new vs refurb iMac
New vs. Refurbished iMac
Would you buy a refurbished Mac from Apple
Refurbished MBP or New?
Refurbished vs New: your experiences, thoughts?
Macbook Pro Refurbished questions
has anyone ever had a bad refurbished MBP?
Refurbished MacBook pro
Open box or Refurbished MBP?
Refurbished buy...Good idea or not?
leaning towards imac, or a macbook, and should i buy new or refurbished
Refurbished MacBook Pro?
Considering refurbished MBP however...
macbook refurbished?
Refurbished???
Has anyone had any bad experiences with getting a Macbook Pro Refurbished from Apple?
Off topic but...

I've watched you post these subtle "search first" missives for some time and wonder if you could show what search criteria/method you use(d) (when you make the suggestion) to find those results and were they organized so well when the results came in? Seems most of my searches result in a million listings many of which are quite stale. I believe that sort of result causes most folks to post the same questions over and over (or perhaps they're just lazy).

Cheers,
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:21 PM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzer06 View Post
I've watched you post these subtle "search first" missives
That's not a "search first" missive. As I said, if the OP wants additional information, that's where and how to find it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzer06 View Post
wonder if you could show what search criteria/method you use(d) (when you make the suggestion) to find those results and were they organized so well when the results came in?
If you're looking for suggestions on how to search, I'd be happy to respond to such a query in a separate thread, as it is off-topic for this thread.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:22 PM   #7
macmastersam
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzer06
I've watched you post these subtle "search first" missives for some time and wonder if you could show what search criteria/method you use(d) (when you make the suggestion) to find those results and were they organized so well when the results came in?
Search bar?

Last edited by balamw; Jan 26, 2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Edited quote
macmastersam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:51 PM   #8
Mr Rogers
macrumors regular

Personal experience suggests you cannot go wrong with punching a refurbished iMac from Apple, I'd caution to wait until new 2012 model is released though as highly probable you'd actually get a 'new' as opposed to 'used' model - be it 21.5 or 27in form factor.

On the plus side, and as many have noted on these boards, you may have upgraded iMac via refurbished route, i.e., bigger HDD/ more RAM, upgraded RAM GPU Ram memory in 27in model.

On the negative side, you get a lemon, specifically one with LCD issues, which means testing properly yourself and swapping if any issues are apparent.

Further, on refurbished models you have same 12 month Apple Warranty and ability to add AppleCare. Indeed, by not purchasing new and adding AppleCare, whilst paying only a fraction less than new, you do then have a full three year warranty with the added bonus of knowing should you sell on again, you'll get a greater return for a used Apple with APP than without, and say within a two year timeframe, with funds from selling your used Apple, you can then re-invest in another refurbished one.

Look at it in cost of ownership terms by dividing actual cost with number years you intend to keep the Apple - the refurbished route offers good value for money, particularly given this years update will not offer a significant boost in speed terms - maybe in GPU terms - iMacs have never been brilliant games machines, but as part of a media centre set-up/ pure computational uses, they really are good value and aesthetically look nice too - best all-in-one on the market in my opinion.
Mr Rogers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2012, 06:09 AM   #9
fhall1
macrumors 68020

All my Apple products (except iPhones and iPads) have been refurbs....no issues whatsoever.
fhall1 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2012, 06:23 AM   #10
AppleFanatic10
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AppleFanatic10 Send a message via Skype™ to AppleFanatic10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtthwcmn1 View Post
I have OCD, and love getting as close to perfection as I can get. I saw my friends refurbished iMac and it looked in perfect condition with no dead pixels or screen tinting or anything. Some people tell me that I will get one with dents and scratches and one that isn't good quality. The price savings seem worth it. I bought a new iPad 2 and had dead pixels and backlight bleeding and a friend got a perfect refurb one and 80 dollars back. I'm confused.
YES! They're basically brand new machines. I bought a 2010 refurbished MB and you couldn't even tell that it was a refurb. The only thing that gives it away is the box it comes in.
RIP Grandma 5/10/1930 - 9/24/2012
AppleFanatic10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2012, 06:51 AM   #11
B.A.T
macrumors 6502

I have a refurbished iMac, iPad and iPod. Never had a problem with any of them.
B.A.T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2012, 07:32 AM   #12
Felder71
macrumors member

One tiny caveat -

Unlike a new Mac, you can't choose your keyboard or tracking device. They all come with a wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse. I prefer the wired keyboard (because I want a number pad) and want to get the Magic Trackpad. Considering it would be $120 or so to get these elsewhere, it somewhat kills the deal when I could have them swapped in with a new iMac. Otherwise, I think they are a fabulous deal.
Felder71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:56 AM   #13
macrumors newbie

Well, seeing as my iMac that I've had for a week is (apparently) likely to go straight into the refurb stock for re-sale, I would say that there is an inherent risk in buying a refurb model.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1313526

Whether mine has a faulty component or whether it's a generic design fault, nobody has been able to identify (including Applecare).
38911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:27 AM   #14
talmy
macrumors 68040

Two refurbished MacBooks, refurbished Mac mini, refurbished Mac mini server, and a refurbished Airport Extreme here. All were perfect out of the box.

I only buy new if I need a build-to-order option or if I am in a hurry (sometimes it takes a while for the refurb model I want to show up, and I'm just a 5 minute walk from an Apple Store.)
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:39 AM   #15
wrinkster22
macrumors 68030

I have had great luck with ref rubs from apple.

Wether it be an airport extreme or a replaced iPod or iPhone
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:20 AM   #16
Kungshi
macrumors member

I've had great success with refurbs. You really will get a great machine. And if your not satisfied (find a dent, or dead pixels), send it back within your return window.
Kungshi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2012, 08:26 AM   #17
Mike in Kansas
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felder71 View Post
One tiny caveat -

Unlike a new Mac, you can't choose your keyboard or tracking device. They all come with a wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse. I prefer the wired keyboard (because I want a number pad) and want to get the Magic Trackpad. Considering it would be $120 or so to get these elsewhere, it somewhat kills the deal when I could have them swapped in with a new iMac. Otherwise, I think they are a fabulous deal.
Of course you could flip both of the items you didn't want on Craigslist or eBay and recoup $100. Plus, the savings on refurb Macs over new is quite often more than $200.
Nikon D300 / Nikkor 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8, 70-300mm VR / Sigma 10-20mm
Mike in Kansas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2012, 08:31 AM   #18
macbeliever
macrumors member

Apple products I've own(ed) that were/are refurbished;

2006 17" MBP lasted 4 years till I sold
2010 27" iMac
2010 Unibody Macbook
iPad 1st gen
iPhone 3gs
iPod Touch 3rd gen
Literally dozens of iPod shuffles (business giveaways)

All have been refurbished direct from Apple the same warranty as "new".

I've saved well over $500 by utilizing the refurbished "discount".

It's the only way I'll go (by choice).

Macbook iPhone 5 magic mouse airport
macbeliever is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:29 AM   #19
talmy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felder71 View Post
One tiny caveat -

Another alternative -- If you are replacing an older Mac, or even a Windows box, you can keep your old keyboard and mouse and sell the new ones or bundle them with your old Mac to sweeten the deal when you sell.

I swap these things around at home all the time. My wife likes the numeric keypad so she is using an older keyboard other than the one that came with her iMac. I occasionally switch out my stubby wireless keyboard (I don't use the numeric pad) for a 23 year old Northgate Omnikey keyboard when I have heavy typing to do. All three of my Mac minis not only didn't come with keyboards and mice but also run most of the time without keyboard and mice at all.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:06 PM   #20
lc25
macrumors 6502

Nearly always buy refurb if i can get the spec i am after, why would you pay a couple of hundred more for a box with an image on it ?
lc25 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac