Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:21 PM   #1
smf72
macrumors member

Should I give up my unlimited data

Should I give up my unlimited data plan for the 5GB with tethering. I don't use 5 gigs now but can't get tethering? Just bouncing the thought off you guys
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:28 PM   #2
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by smf72 View Post
Should I give up my unlimited data plan for the 5GB with tethering. I don't use 5 gigs now but can't get tethering? Just bouncing the thought off you guys
DO you want to tether? If the answer to my question is "yes", than the answer to your own is the same.
lordofthereef is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:29 PM   #3
deeddawg
macrumors 601

Yes.
Or maybe No.
Really I guess it depends on all the stuff you're not mentioning. Do you need tethering? Do you use more than 2GB/mo today (and not get throttled)?
deeddawg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:33 PM   #4
Wide opeN
macrumors 6502

No, don't give AT&T the satisfaction.

The fact they LIED and said that there was a Spectrum crunch and that's why they had to throttle but in the same instance allow tiered data unthrottled usage shows you that you'd be playing right into their hands.
Wide opeN is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:34 PM   #5
Edge1978
macrumors regular

I was thinking about doing the same thing (seeing I have an iPad). But i came to the conclusion it'd be pointless as I hardly EVER bring my iPad anywhere that doesn't have wifi
Edge1978 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:36 PM   #6
OceanView
macrumors 65816

Never give up Unlimited.
You will never get it back should you want it in the future.
Jailbreak your phone and tether all you want.
Jailbreaking is not illegal.
OceanView is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:40 PM   #7
NikeTalk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanView View Post
Never give up Unlimited.
You will never get it back should you want it in the future.
Jailbreak your phone and tether all you want.
Jailbreaking is not illegal.
But then AT&T will gladly switch you over to the 5GB plan thus eliminating your unlimited plan.
NikeTalk is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:44 PM   #8
OceanView
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikeTalk View Post
But then AT&T will gladly switch you over to the 5GB plan thus eliminating your unlimited plan.
That's only if they catch you
OceanView is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:49 PM   #9
NikeTalk
macrumors 6502a

It will only be a matter of time, if you're okay with them switching you over then go ahead till you get caught but the chances are very high.
NikeTalk is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:57 PM   #10
cyks
macrumors 68020

No, don't give up your unlimited.

Keep what's now become an overpriced 2GB data plan. So what if you need tether or use more than 2GB, you'll find a way to manage if only to spite AT&T and their greedy ways. You're not going to let the fact that other people can pay the same as you, yet use more data, get to you.

Even though you'll continue to be throttled down to a useless speed in the middle of every month, you'll know in your heart that staying with the 'Unlimited' plan was the right move because you didn't cave into what AT&T wanted.
cyks is online now   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 02:18 PM   #11
ctdonath
macrumors 65816

If you're inclined to give it up, SELL IT. They're transferable; last I checked they were going for around $400.
ctdonath is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:42 PM   #12
SpaceKitty
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdonath View Post
If you're inclined to give it up, SELL IT. They're transferable; last I checked they were going for around $400.
The new owner would not get to keep the unlimited. They have to choose from the currently offered plans which do not include unlimited. You get that warning on the transfer account responsibility page.
SpaceKitty is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:46 PM   #13
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceKitty View Post
The new owner would not get to keep the unlimited. They have to choose from the currently offered plans which do not include unlimited. You get that warning on the transfer account responsibility page.
Is this new? It didn't used to be this way...
lordofthereef is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:48 PM   #14
SpaceKitty
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
Is this new? It didn't used to be this way...
I found out about it last summer when I was trying to GIVE AWAY for free two of my three accounts with unlimited data. I couldn't give them away for free because people knew that this was spelled out in the transfer of responsibility page. This probably happened when they quit offering unlimited.

I finally closed one account and transferred one to Verizon. I still have one AT&T.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:49 PM   #15
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikeTalk View Post
It will only be a matter of time, if you're okay with them switching you over then go ahead till you get caught but the chances are very high.
You are completely right. I am not sure why so many down ratings on this post. Thing is, he may as well get as much data out of his unlimited while tethering. If he is thinking of hopping on the tethering plan, may as well let the system switch him over. Could get a couple of months out of a reduced rate.

----------

Quote:
I found out about it last summer when I was trying to GIVE AWAY for free two of my three accounts with unlimited data. I couldn't give them away for free because people knew that this was spelled out in the transfer of responsibility page.
Well, I am not sure what is different about your situation, but my fiance's sister took over one of my friend's accounts two months ago and got to keep the unlimited. That's why I was shocked to read your post.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:50 PM   #16
SpaceKitty
Banned

Quote:
You are completely right. I am not sure why so many down ratings on this post. Thing is, he may as well get as much data out of his unlimited while tethering. If he is thinking of hopping on the tethering plan, may as well let the system switch him over. Could get a couple of months out of a reduced rate.

----------

Well, I am not sure what is different about your situation, but my fiance's sister took over one of my friend's accounts two months ago and got to keep the unlimited. That's why I was shocked to read your post.
Read it for yourself. Log in to your account and go to the transfer responsibility page.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:51 PM   #17
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Read it for yourself. Log in to your account and go to the transfer responsibility page.
I believe it's there. I am just saying she was able to take over his account and keep unlimited is all.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:57 PM   #18
SpaceKitty
Banned

Quote:
I believe it's there. I am just saying she was able to take over his account and keep unlimited is all.
I'm not sure how that was possible.
Attached Images

Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:59 PM   #19
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
I'm not sure how that was possible.
"May be required". The service still exists. It's just not an option for new subscribers. They would be taking over an existing contract. Like I said, worked for us.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 05:03 PM   #20
Ajones330
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
You are still able to keep unlimited data plans when you take on responsibility of that number. You cannot transfer just data though. Att has never allowed people to transfer just their data plan.

13" MBP l 13" MB l iPhone 5S Gold Jailbroken 64GB l
Ajones330 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 05:04 PM   #21
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajones330 View Post
You are still able to keep unlimited data plans when you take on responsibility of that number. You cannot transfer just data though. Att has never allowed people to transfer just their data plan.
Right. I thought that was what we were talking about.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 05:05 PM   #22
SpaceKitty
Banned

Quote:
What you are not seeing here is what happens with the other person when they accept the responsibility. They are taken to the page where they have to choose a data plan and unlimited is not a choice. They also have to choose a minutes plan and SMS plan. It's like starting a new account.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 05:10 PM   #23
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
What you are not seeing here is what happens with the other person when they accept the responsibility. They are taken to the page where they have to choose a data plan and unlimited is not a choice. They also have to choose a minutes plan and SMS plan. It's like starting a new account.
They (fiance's sister and my friend) did it at an ATT store if that makes a difference. Have never done it "online" before.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 05:16 PM   #24
Ajones330
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
They (fiance's sister and my friend) did it at an ATT store if that makes a difference. Have never done it "online" before.
Yes if you go into a retail store you are able to keep the unlimited data plan unless there is a fan on the account that blocks this. Certain fan numbers block grandfathered plans from transferring. This is very rare

13" MBP l 13" MB l iPhone 5S Gold Jailbroken 64GB l
Ajones330 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 05:17 PM   #25
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
Yes if you go into a retail store you are able to keep the unlimited data plan unless there is a fan on the account that blocks this. Certain fan numbers block grandfathered plans from transferring. This is very rare
Can they not just remove the discount?
lordofthereef is offline   -1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone