Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smf72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Should I give up my unlimited data plan for the 5GB with tethering. I don't use 5 gigs now but can't get tethering? Just bouncing the thought off you guys

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Should I give up my unlimited data plan for the 5GB with tethering. I don't use 5 gigs now but can't get tethering? Just bouncing the thought off you guys

DO you want to tether? If the answer to my question is "yes", than the answer to your own is the same.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Yes.
Or maybe No.
Really I guess it depends on all the stuff you're not mentioning. Do you need tethering? Do you use more than 2GB/mo today (and not get throttled)?

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
No, don't give AT&T the satisfaction.

The fact they LIED and said that there was a Spectrum crunch and that's why they had to throttle but in the same instance allow tiered data unthrottled usage shows you that you'd be playing right into their hands.

Edge1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2011
I was thinking about doing the same thing (seeing I have an iPad). But i came to the conclusion it'd be pointless as I hardly EVER bring my iPad anywhere that doesn't have wifi ;)

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
Never give up Unlimited.
You will never get it back should you want it in the future.
Jailbreak your phone and tether all you want.
Jailbreaking is not illegal.

NikeTalk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
Never give up Unlimited.
You will never get it back should you want it in the future.
Jailbreak your phone and tether all you want.
Jailbreaking is not illegal.

But then AT&T will gladly switch you over to the 5GB plan thus eliminating your unlimited plan.

NikeTalk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
It will only be a matter of time, if you're okay with them switching you over then go ahead till you get caught but the chances are very high.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
No, don't give up your unlimited.

Keep what's now become an overpriced 2GB data plan. So what if you need tether or use more than 2GB, you'll find a way to manage if only to spite AT&T and their greedy ways. You're not going to let the fact that other people can pay the same as you, yet use more data, get to you.

Even though you'll continue to be throttled down to a useless speed in the middle of every month, you'll know in your heart that staying with the 'Unlimited' plan was the right move because you didn't cave into what AT&T wanted.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
If you're inclined to give it up, SELL IT. They're transferable; last I checked they were going for around $400.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
If you're inclined to give it up, SELL IT. They're transferable; last I checked they were going for around $400.

The new owner would not get to keep the unlimited. They have to choose from the currently offered plans which do not include unlimited. You get that warning on the transfer account responsibility page.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
Is this new? It didn't used to be this way...

I found out about it last summer when I was trying to GIVE AWAY for free two of my three accounts with unlimited data. I couldn't give them away for free because people knew that this was spelled out in the transfer of responsibility page. This probably happened when they quit offering unlimited.

I finally closed one account and transferred one to Verizon. I still have one AT&T.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It will only be a matter of time, if you're okay with them switching you over then go ahead till you get caught but the chances are very high.

You are completely right. I am not sure why so many down ratings on this post. Thing is, he may as well get as much data out of his unlimited while tethering. If he is thinking of hopping on the tethering plan, may as well let the system switch him over. Could get a couple of months out of a reduced rate.

----------

I found out about it last summer when I was trying to GIVE AWAY for free two of my three accounts with unlimited data. I couldn't give them away for free because people knew that this was spelled out in the transfer of responsibility page.

Well, I am not sure what is different about your situation, but my fiance's sister took over one of my friend's accounts two months ago and got to keep the unlimited. That's why I was shocked to read your post.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
You are completely right. I am not sure why so many down ratings on this post. Thing is, he may as well get as much data out of his unlimited while tethering. If he is thinking of hopping on the tethering plan, may as well let the system switch him over. Could get a couple of months out of a reduced rate.

----------

Well, I am not sure what is different about your situation, but my fiance's sister took over one of my friend's accounts two months ago and got to keep the unlimited. That's why I was shocked to read your post.

Read it for yourself. Log in to your account and go to the transfer responsibility page.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-01-26 at 3.56.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-01-26 at 3.56.55 PM.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 949

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
I believe it's there. I am just saying she was able to take over his account and keep unlimited is all.

You are still able to keep unlimited data plans when you take on responsibility of that number. You cannot transfer just data though. Att has never allowed people to transfer just their data plan.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
You are still able to keep unlimited data plans when you take on responsibility of that number. You cannot transfer just data though. Att has never allowed people to transfer just their data plan.

What you are not seeing here is what happens with the other person when they accept the responsibility. They are taken to the page where they have to choose a data plan and unlimited is not a choice. They also have to choose a minutes plan and SMS plan. It's like starting a new account.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
What you are not seeing here is what happens with the other person when they accept the responsibility. They are taken to the page where they have to choose a data plan and unlimited is not a choice. They also have to choose a minutes plan and SMS plan. It's like starting a new account.

They (fiance's sister and my friend) did it at an ATT store if that makes a difference. Have never done it "online" before.

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
They (fiance's sister and my friend) did it at an ATT store if that makes a difference. Have never done it "online" before.

Yes if you go into a retail store you are able to keep the unlimited data plan unless there is a fan on the account that blocks this. Certain fan numbers block grandfathered plans from transferring. This is very rare

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.