Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:02 PM   #1
XX55XX
macrumors regular

I'm curious - Is anyone still using an original iPhone?

I've never had an iPhone before, but these days, on the train, at school, on the street, basically any public location - I only see iPhone 4s or 4Ss around.

Is anyone still using an original iPhone? Or know people that do?
XX55XX is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:08 PM   #2
eclipse01
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX55XX View Post
I've never had an iPhone before, but these days, on the train, at school, on the street, basically any public location - I only see iPhone 4s or 4Ss around.

Not the original Iphone, but I do use my original 1st gen Ipod Touch in my bathroom, its basically only good for music and Pandora, no other apps work on it anymore (just boot/close out instantly)
eclipse01 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:36 PM   #3
erayser
macrumors 6502a

I still have mine, but it isn't activated. Still has the original sim in it. I remember those days of no iTunes app store, surfing on Safari on the edge network. At the time, I thought that was the best thing ever. Even if I like the looks of the current iPhone, I loved the durability of the original.
erayser is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:47 PM   #4
ZombiePete
macrumors 6502a

My daughter uses my 1st Gen iPhone as an iPod Touch. Great battery life for watching movies on road trips. It's not activated and I generally have it in airplane mode to save battery life/keep her off the internet (she's four).
ZombiePete is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:02 PM   #5
Savor
macrumors 68020

Yes, and activated. Living in a country where most people live on prepaid, I can pretty much have multiple lines since it is dirt cheap to buy a prepaid SIM and load the balance. My original iPhone is used as a backup phone, but I mostly use it as an iPod and alarm clock. The internal specs is too outdated where it lags for most of my games. But the build quality is excellent. Most durable iPhone ever. When my battery or "load" runs out with my other phones with faster processors, then I just turn to the original iPhone for emergencies.
Savor is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:00 PM   #6
jkim3691
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by erayser View Post
I still have mine, but it isn't activated. Still has the original sim in it. I remember those days of no iTunes app store, surfing on Safari on the edge network. At the time, I thought that was the best thing ever. Even if I like the looks of the current iPhone, I loved the durability of the original.
Same. Mine's sitting in my box now. Never used a case or screen protector for it and the thing is pretty much flawless. Build quality was definitely better with the original iPhones.
jkim3691 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:21 PM   #7
pooleman
macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I still use mine as an iPod. It still has the original screen protector I put on it and case. It is my favorite. "feeling" iPhone. I wish they kept that design. It feels indestructible.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:41 PM   #8
rjohnstone
macrumors 68030

Gave mine to my daughter for when she goes on sleepovers.
JB/Unlocked it and threw a T-Mobile prepaid SIM in it.
The battery life on it is still fantastic.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:02 PM   #9
Vegastouch
macrumors 601

I dont use it but i still have my original iPhone...which is in pristine condition. Also have an original iPod which i still use.
Vegastouch is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:23 PM   #10
wickerman1893
macrumors 6502

I'm currently trying to get a relatives or one off of eBay for collectors. It would be cool to have a first gen iPad(have), iPhone, and iPod touch.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:50 PM   #11
Mars478
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Mars478 Send a message via MSN to Mars478 Send a message via Skype™ to Mars478
I have a few myself, none of which are in stellar condition, but I know people who use the original one.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:50 PM   #12
Neverbepeace
macrumors 6502a

Does anybody actually use it as an everyday phone? That's the question.....
Neverbepeace is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:08 PM   #13
vincenz
macrumors 601

I've seen 2-3 people over the past year walking around using an original iPhone. It's rare for sure.
vincenz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:19 AM   #14
theLimit
macrumors 6502a

I used mine daily until last month, when I got a second-hand iPhone 4. It still works perfectly and can browse the web on wifi for ten hours. I'm keeping it around as a backup phone / second iPod.
theLimit is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:24 AM   #15
Savor
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverbepeace View Post
If that was the question meaning if it is being used as my MAIN phone, then no. Just serves as a backup phone and iPod. But I do use it everyday as an alarm clock, just not a phone.

The phone is beautiful, but way too dated in software (3.1.3) and hardware (underclocked 412MHz processor, weak GPU, soft speaker) for my everyday uses. It even has the WEAKEST range for Wi-Fi (at only b & g) while my iPhone 4 has the longest range among all my smartphones that I have ever had.

I have it only as a collector's item and for sentimental reasons. But if given a choice between a iPhone 2G vs iPod touch (5th gen) as an everyday gadget, I probably would pick the latter.
Savor is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:27 AM   #16
MuGeN PoWeR
macrumors 6502a

yes using it along with my iPhone 4s!! 4s has my personal number and original iPhone has my official number!! what a brilliant combination!
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:30 AM   #17
DrakkenWar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to DrakkenWar Send a message via Yahoo to DrakkenWar Send a message via Skype™ to DrakkenWar
Original iPhone..

I am one of the few it looks like. I have a 1G/8Gig that I bought brand new. It has been my trusty side kick for years now.

I was able to upgrade through AT&T to a 3GS a few months back for 99 cents. but within a week of the that my wife's 3gs died. And being the she is a tech-not by any stretch I am back to my old trusty friend. Calls clarity is great. Reception? Could be better, being limited by os 3.1.3 is really starting to cause me problems now that I sold off all of my PPC hardware, I can only hope I can find a way to fix the cycle boot on her 3gs..

Over all? I do not regret the purchase, and even now it is one of the best phones I have ever owned. And on that note, it is an amazing conversation starting being it is in a grey polymer case which makes it easy to see the brushed aluminum and black plastic strip.

~Drake
DrakkenWar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2012, 01:13 AM   #18
EliCsuf
macrumors newbie

My wifey still has the original iPhone. Activated and uses it daily.... She is old school and loves her iphone. Does not care for upgrading, but will be getting her a new one in February.
EliCsuf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2012, 04:33 AM   #19
The Phazer
macrumors 68030

My wife has my old 2G which she uses as her main phone, yes.

Though it is distinctly beginning to show it's age.

Phazer
The Phazer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2012, 07:26 AM   #20
Blakjack
macrumors 65816

Darn, I wish I still had mine. That thing is a classic already. The build quality was amazing. The design was iconic in my eyes. I can remember people staring at me when I would be using it.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 08:25 AM   #21
psonice
macrumors 6502a

A friend of mine still uses his 1G as his main phone. Which is really crazy, because he bought my iPhone 4 a while back. He carries both, but uses the iPhone 1.
psonice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2012, 08:30 AM   #22
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020

I still have mine in a pristine box...Keeping as a collector item. It does have a small single hairline crack about 2" long in the glass (dropped it ON CARPET pulling it out of my waist high case and it must have just hit perfectly on the corner) and I want to replace it with OEM glass. I just pulled it out the other day and man is it built like a tank. And it feels so perfect in your hand. I HOPE Apple switces back to the aluminum back for the 5. If anyone knows a good spot to find the glass I'd appreciate it. I haven't really searched for it but was thinking my best bet would be to find a non-working, maybe water damaged unit on ebay or CL. But if anyone has any better ideas, please let me know.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2012, 08:47 AM   #23
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverbepeace View Post
The last one I knew of was a guy who used his 1st gen all the way up 'till his iPhone 4.

But he was the last one I knew of.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:09 AM   #24
greygray
macrumors 68000

I still have mine, works perfectly fine with no defects. The only issue is the battery, which drains extremely quickly; I've yet to replace it.
greygray is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:29 AM   #25
anandp
macrumors newbie

yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX55XX View Post

Yeah! I am still using and doing just fine..

----------

Yes! I am still using and it's doing just fine!!!!!!!
anandp is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone