Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:10 AM   #1
zen
macrumors 65816

iPhone and iPad not showing up in iTunes with synch via wifi on new MBA

I've just switched from an iMac to a MBA with external monitor. I've shifted my iTunes library and have authorised the new computer in iTunes, etc.

Both my iPhone and iPad have the "synch via wifi" option selected. Both are on the same wifi network as the MBA (just like the iMac was).

However, neither device shows up in iTunes if I unplug the cable. With the cable plugged in, everything works as normal and I can synch. When I unplug the cable, the device disappears and iTunes can't see it.

With my iMac, both the iPad and iPhone were listed under devices, no matter where they were in the house, so long as they were on the wifi network.

I think I've been through every iTunes setting (the "prevent ... from auto-synching" is NOT ticked).

Running iTunes 10.5.3, Lion 10.7.2, and iOS 5.0.1. The MBA is in clamshell mode with the external monitor connected, and is on the wifi network without any problem.

Any ideas? Am I missing a step somewhere?
zen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:29 AM   #2
anthonymoody
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen View Post
I've just switched from an iMac to a MBA with external monitor. I've shifted my iTunes library and have authorised the new computer in iTunes, etc.

Both my iPhone and iPad have the "synch via wifi" option selected. Both are on the same wifi network as the MBA (just like the iMac was).

However, neither device shows up in iTunes if I unplug the cable. With the cable plugged in, everything works as normal and I can synch. When I unplug the cable, the device disappears and iTunes can't see it.

With my iMac, both the iPad and iPhone were listed under devices, no matter where they were in the house, so long as they were on the wifi network.

I think I've been through every iTunes setting (the "prevent ... from auto-synching" is NOT ticked).

Running iTunes 10.5.3, Lion 10.7.2, and iOS 5.0.1. The MBA is in clamshell mode with the external monitor connected, and is on the wifi network without any problem.

Any ideas? Am I missing a step somewhere?
Just out of curiosity have you tried with the MBA open as opposed to clamshell? Maybe something weird about that interaction.

In not, try de-selecting wifi sync. Quit/reopen itunes and hard reset your ipad while doing so. Connect wired. Sync. Reset your iPad, again quit/reopen iTunes. Reconnect wired, and now select wifi sync. See if that doesn't do the trick.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 05:33 AM   #3
zen
macrumors 65816

That worked, thanks!
zen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:52 AM   #4
anthonymoody
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen View Post
That worked, thanks!

You're welcome and glad it worked! I have found that many pairing type errors can be remedied with a handful of quit/reopen/reset type activities.

I have problems with the Remote app and iTunes on my iMac sometimes not playing nicely. Haven't been able to solve it permanently but this type of thing usually helps for a time.

I actually saw the solution above posted in another forum some time ago. Anyway, glad it worked!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:07 PM   #5
star-affinity
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
You're welcome and glad it worked! I have found that many pairing type errors can be remedied with a handful of quit/reopen/reset type activities.

I have problems with the Remote app and iTunes on my iMac sometimes not playing nicely. Haven't been able to solve it permanently but this type of thing usually helps for a time.

I actually saw the solution above posted in another forum some time ago. Anyway, glad it worked!
Worked for me too! Strange, I wonder exactly which of the steps it is that actually solves it. Sounds strange that you have to do the restart of the iOS device twice, no?
star-affinity is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2013, 03:31 PM   #6
star-affinity
macrumors 6502

But the bloody problem keeps coming backů
star-affinity is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier