Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nycgirl007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
Kenya
hey guys, new to this forum so forgive me if i'm less than eloquent about things i-related.

just got in from asia a few days ago and my husband's ipad was promptly lost/stolen at the airport which we didn't realize until about an hour later when we got home (ugh). i immediately turned on find my iphone on my laptop and locked the ipad with a passcode as well sent it a message with sound about how to contact us. here's the problem: the ipad was listed as offline and still is (it is a 3G+wifi) - four days later.

is it possible that some devious fellow passenger and/or airport worker managed to grab the ipad and wipe it in a mere hour? we have filed a police report, numerous lost and found reports (which really just amount to giggling for the airport staff, double ugh) and still nada.

i guess i'm wondering when we should give up on the ipad stakeout and if it's gone for good. grateful for any advice that you can provide!
thanks!

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
If it was 3G what network was it using ?

I doubt someone could have stolen it and within one hour wiped it. Don't get me wrong it's possible. But with 3G and WiFi you have a better chance of locating it eventually.

nycgirl007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
Kenya
If it was 3G what network was it using ?

I doubt someone could have stolen it and within one hour wiped it. Don't get me wrong it's possible. But with 3G and WiFi you have a better chance of locating it eventually.

iPad 2 is/was on verizon 3G (and obviously wifi compatible). I'm just wondering when we should give up the ghost and go get a new one.

Truth be told, I'm really hoping that the turd who took it turns it on so I can track it, then immediately call the NYPD/PAPD and have them bust down his or her door (which they assured me they would delight in doing).

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
If its a Verizon one, call VZW about it. They can't take off your info connected to it. I sold my VZW iPad 2 and wiped it before I sold it but they had to call VZW to reactivate the iPad's 3G connectivity. And since it has an IMEI# because of it's 3G connectivity you can call VZW to red flag it and listed as stolen. If you didn't have a passcode on there it's very easy that they wiped it right away. And just keep the 3G off, which would be you're screwed since the "Find my iPad" would be wiped off too. Thats why you always keep a passcode on at all times. But I would still call VZW so they couldn't use the 3G part of it.

nycgirl007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
Kenya
If its a Verizon one, call VZW about it. They can't take off your info connected to it. I sold my VZW iPad 2 and wiped it before I sold it but they had to call VZW to reactivate the iPad's 3G connectivity. And since it has an IMEI# because of it's 3G connectivity you can call VZW to red flag it and listed as stolen. If you didn't have a passcode on there it's very easy that they wiped it right away. And just keep the 3G off, which would be you're screwed since the "Find my iPad" would be wiped off too. Thats why you always keep a passcode on at all times. But I would still call VZW so they couldn't use the 3G part of it.

Wow thanks for the excellent tip! And thanks all for the replies. We thought we'd wait a few days to see if it pops up on iCloud/find my iPad but it's looking less and less likely so will call in the morning if it's not found yet.

Can Verizon track if someone is using it (even just on wifi)? It really stinks that Apple doesn't have some kind of protection service in place on these addictive and pricey gadgets.

Mac2012

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2011
hey guys, new to this forum so forgive me if i'm less than eloquent about things i-related.

just got in from asia a few days ago and my husband's ipad was promptly lost/stolen at the airport which we didn't realize until about an hour later when we got home (ugh). i immediately turned on find my iphone on my laptop and locked the ipad with a passcode as well sent it a message with sound about how to contact us. here's the problem: the ipad was listed as offline and still is (it is a 3G+wifi) - four days later.

is it possible that some devious fellow passenger and/or airport worker managed to grab the ipad and wipe it in a mere hour? we have filed a police report, numerous lost and found reports (which really just amount to giggling for the airport staff, double ugh) and still nada.

i guess i'm wondering when we should give up on the ipad stakeout and if it's gone for good. grateful for any advice that you can provide!
thanks!
Yeah they did, your burnt!
You don't leave your wallet or purse laying around do you?
I know that doesn't help, but find my iphone and those things are for if you loose it in a GOOD ENVIRONMENT. I have iLocalis, and it will record audio and send it to your email box, and pictures when failed login attempts are tried, plus you can track it... the service cost $30 annually, might want to use that on your next one but you have to jailbreak.

People are THIEVES in todays world... and they are everywhere!

Last edited:

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
It really stinks that Apple doesn't have some kind of protection service in place on these addictive and pricey gadgets.

I'm sorry your husband's iPad was stolen and hope that it is recovered, but why diss Apple because of your husband's oversight?

Even laptops that cost three times more than the iPad don't come with free "protection services," so it's quite unfair to claim the manufacturer failed in some way.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
iPad 2 is/was on verizon 3G (and obviously wifi compatible). I'm just wondering when we should give up the ghost and go get a new one.

Truth be told, I'm really hoping that the turd who took it turns it on so I can track it, then immediately call the NYPD/PAPD and have them bust down his or her door (which they assured me they would delight in doing).

Those would be some dedicated cops. Here in Chicago I doubt you'd get any attention from a report of stolen property.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
It really stinks that Apple doesn't have some kind of protection service in place on these addictive and pricey gadgets.

There's no magical "protection service" for gadgets, just tracking tools. And the tracking tools require both 3G connectivity and power to the device, so if someone shuts off either the device or puts in in Airplane mode, then tracking stops. "Find my i-device" is about as good as you'll find until someone comes up with a Looney Toons solution where you can remotely trigger a large mallet to pop out of the device and conk the offender on the head.

nycgirl007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
Kenya
Those would be some dedicated cops. Here in Chicago I doubt you'd get any attention from a report of stolen property.

I think that the cops in New York delight in such things, though I also think it's because otherwise regular New Yorkers would go get our stuff back ourselves and that's a much bigger problem that they definitely don't want to deal with.

Thanks for everyone's comments, especially the one about the IMEI #. I'm not saying that we didn't make a huge mistake not triple checking our luggage cart but having been traveling for over 24 hours, we were both pretty exhausted. I've lived in NYC for over a decade and have returned all sorts of things to their owners that I found (mostly in taxis) - iPhones, blackberries, wallets, etc. because it's the right thing to do. Perhaps it is too much to expect others to behave in the same way.

What I meant to say about apple is that I read on another forum a lot of really innovative ideas about how to better protect iPads - perhaps this is a job for app developers and not apple. Sorry if it came out the wrong way, I'm still on Bangkok time.

tecknik1

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2011
HCM Vietnam
"Sorry if it came out the wrong way, I'm still on Bangkok time."

Off topic but I think you would be better off back in Bangkok, certainly cheaper and definitely more exciting and honest.

nycgirl007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
Kenya
"Sorry if it came out the wrong way, I'm still on Bangkok time."

Off topic but I think you would be better off back in Bangkok, certainly cheaper and definitely more exciting and honest.

Well it's cheaper but I don't know about more exciting and honest than NYC.

iPad update: we've officially given up and alerted Verizon. Lesson learned. Thanks all for your advice.

Mikes2pads

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
Yeah they did, your burnt!
You don't leave your wallet or purse laying around do you?
I know that doesn't help, but find my iphone and those things are for if you loose it in a GOOD ENVIRONMENT. I have iLocalis, and it will record audio and send it to your email box, and pictures when failed login attempts are tried, plus you can track it... the service cost $30 annually, might want to use that on your next one but you have to jailbreak.

People are THIEVES in todays world... and they are everywhere!

I think that the cops in New York delight in such things, though I also think it's because otherwise regular New Yorkers would go get our stuff back ourselves and that's a much bigger problem that they definitely don't want to deal with.

Thanks for everyone's comments, especially the one about the IMEI #. I'm not saying that we didn't make a huge mistake not triple checking our luggage cart but having been traveling for over 24 hours, we were both pretty exhausted. I've lived in NYC for over a decade and have returned all sorts of things to their owners that I found (mostly in taxis) - iPhones, blackberries, wallets, etc. because it's the right thing to do. Perhaps it is too much to expect others to behave in the same way.

What I meant to say about apple is that I read on another forum a lot of really innovative ideas about how to better protect iPads - perhaps this is a job for app developers and not apple. Sorry if it came out the wrong way, I'm still on Bangkok time.

Tough break that your iPad walked but think about how silly you sound
First, you ain't the only one that ever got robbed.
Secondly, You definitely are not the only one that ever returned something in NYC. NYC is 99% honest people and 1% law breakers. Remember there's about 10,000,000 of us.
Number three, cops don't delight in such felonies. If they could do something they would. What would you have them do? it's a needle in a hey stack. Hang it from your neck but be carefull because if you choke yourself you'll look to blame cops to... You must be kiddin. God forbid you ever need a cop to help you, you won't hesitate to call i'll bet. Bangkok has the biggest corruption problem in the PD , forget about It.
You messed up. I don't get robbed because I don't let my stuff get robbed. you must be reasonable and say to yourself those magic words that prevent further things from walking out of your possession , " It's our fault. " there are dishonest lowlifes everywhere. Not just NY. People are going through tough times , you can get a new iPad with your next vacation's money. Btw , look towards the bag handlers if something is missing from luggage. You don't know that ?
Sorry but when you bad mouth NY'ers I gotta butt in. On 9-11 not one store or business got luted. NY'ers of all kinds showed we are the best reps of all races and religions. Luted ,is this the correct term? Whatever , sue me.
Fuget about it. I love New York City btw sorry for the extended commentary but NY'ers got big mouths if ya offend them.
Oh , and it ain't Apple's fault either. The big Apple or Apple.

Last edited:

nycgirl007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
Kenya
Tough break that your iPad walked but think about how silly you sound
First, you ain't the only one that ever got robbed.
Secondly, You definitely are not the only one hat ever returned something in NYC. NYC is 99% honest people and 1% law breakers.
Number three, cops don't delight in such felonies. If they could do something they would. What would you have them do? it's a needle in a hey stack. Ang it from your neck but be carefull because if you choke yourself you'll look to blame cops to... You must be kiddin. God forbid you ever need a cop to help you, you won't hesitate to call i'll bet.
You messed up. I don't get robbed because I don't let my stuff get robbed. you must be reasonable and say to yourself those magic words that prevent further things from walking out of your possession , " It's our fault. " there are dishonest lowlifes everywhere. Not just NY. People are going through tough times , you can get a new iPad with your next vacation's money.
Sorry ut when you bad mouth NY'ers I gotta butt in. On 9-11 not one store or business got luded. NY'ers of all kinds showed we are the best reps of all races and religions. Luded ,is that the correct term? Whatever , sue me.
Fuget about it. I love New York City
Oh , and it ain't Apple's fault either.

I'm sorry but where do you live dude? My husband is a born and raised Manhattanite and I have lived in Manhattan for 10+ years, including surviving 9/11 since I worked in the South Tower. I'm not blaming New York. I love New York, I always have and I always will. This is my home and has been my husband's home for over thirty years. It's NOT my iPad and I am not the one who left in the luggage cart, but that's not the point. Maybe one of us should have noticed it but people make mistakes, that doesn't make them idiots. Have you ever flown from Bangkok to NYC? It is a long haul (24+ hours) and by the time you get back, you're not exactly in your best frame of mind. I won't even get into the numerous investigations at JFK about people who work there stealing **** from passengers - google it dude. Also, the word that I believe you're looking for is "looted".

I am, however, thankful that you posted such snap judgments on here since it reminded me to post an update.

The iPad has come home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A very nice gentleman from PA found it a few days after it was lost. It was apparently still sitting in the top shelf of the luggage cart and no one had spotted it. The man who found it didn't want to turn it in (smart dude) and put it in the trunk of his car but had to go out of the country soon thereafter. He wound up finding us no thanks to our airline, JFK, PAPD or the apple store (which he all consulted to try to find us since he had our names) but just by charging the iPad and calling the number that popped up on the screen and mailed it back to us. So it's home and back in action! Thanks very much to everyone who provided advice and tips on getting it back, it is much appreciated.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
IHe wound up finding us no thanks to our airline, JFK, PAPD or the apple store (which he all consulted to try to find us since he had our names) but just by charging the iPad and calling the number that popped up on the screen and mailed it back to us. So it's home and back in action!

Cool of him to do that and thanks for the update. Nice to see instances where FindMyiDevice works out in the end.

One thought for future (and others reading this) -- I edited my lockscreen wallpaper image so it has "If Found Call xxx-xxx-xxxx" in decent size letters.

Won't do a thing if a crook finds it, but would help an honest person get the ipad home. (and a crook couldn't claim he found it and had no way to contact the owner)

nycgirl007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
Kenya
Cool of him to do that and thanks for the update. Nice to see instances where FindMyiDevice works out in the end.

One thought for future (and others reading this) -- I edited my lockscreen wallpaper image so it has "If Found Call xxx-xxx-xxxx" in decent size letters.

Won't do a thing if a crook finds it, but would help an honest person get the ipad home. (and a crook couldn't claim he found it and had no way to contact the owner)

yep, it was pretty fantastic as we had really given up on ever getting it back! the guy who found it wouldn't accept any money so we're sending him a little gift instead.

thanks for the suggestion, definitely something to bear in mind. we both also learned the importance of keeping your devices LOCKED while not in use, just in case. i've since got into the habit of using the passcode function on my iPhone.

live and learn!

nycgirl007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
Kenya
Did you fly in to JFK airport? a whole lot of stealing is going on there.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03...k-airport-baggage-scandal-200-thefts-per-day/

yup. and i can tell you that via this experience and as per talking to my city council rep, this report is totally unsurprising. the lost & found at JFK is a joke. supposedly no one has ever once turned in an ipad or an iphone. PAPD basically told me to "give up" after a day or two and that they had never once found anyone's iAnything. i found a forum about lost and found items that passengers had set up for JFK and it is really alarming. apparently, if you lose something, unless you are incredibly lucky and a good Samaritan picks up your item (like what happened to us, thank goodness!), you're basically screwed from what i can tell. and obviously you can't do jack if someone steals your things out of your luggage (though i'm not sure why anyone would check $160k worth of jewels). i know that times are tough and i imagine people who work at airports probably don't make a lot of coin but that doesn't make it ok to steal from passengers.

what stinks is that if you live in NYC and/or the surrounding area are flying to an international destination, you really have to go through JFK (though i guess you could opt to go through newark, although it's far away). my advice to fellow travelers: if you have to check luggage, check your clothes/shoes/etc and carry ANYTHING of value on the plane with you (read: electronics, jewelry, cash, etc etc). also as much as i love fancy luggage, depending on where i am going, i usually travel with very generic checked luggage. and, of course, always TRIPLE CHECK that you have not left anything behind on the plane, waiting area, luggage cart, etc etc. live and learn!

Red Fuji

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2012
USA-Pacifc Standard Time
credit card purchase protection

I know for a fact American Express credit card covers purchases for 90 days against theft ! something to keep in mind for future purchase. I am so happy to hear you got it back and more happy that we have people doing the right thing in this day and age.

Last edited:

Joshwawilson

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Missouri
I'm sorry but where do you live dude? My husband is a born and raised Manhattanite and I have lived in Manhattan for 10+ years, including surviving 9/11 since I worked in the South Tower. I'm not blaming New York. I love New York, I always have and I always will. This is my home and has been my husband's home for over thirty years. It's NOT my iPad and I am not the one who left in the luggage cart, but that's not the point. Maybe one of us should have noticed it but people make mistakes, that doesn't make them idiots. Have you ever flown from Bangkok to NYC? It is a long haul (24+ hours) and by the time you get back, you're not exactly in your best frame of mind. I won't even get into the numerous investigations at JFK about people who work there stealing **** from passengers - google it dude. Also, the word that I believe you're looking for is "looted".

I am, however, thankful that you posted such snap judgments on here since it reminded me to post an update.

The iPad has come home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A very nice gentleman from PA found it a few days after it was lost. It was apparently still sitting in the top shelf of the luggage cart and no one had spotted it. The man who found it didn't want to turn it in (smart dude) and put it in the trunk of his car but had to go out of the country soon thereafter. He wound up finding us no thanks to our airline, JFK, PAPD or the apple store (which he all consulted to try to find us since he had our names) but just by charging the iPad and calling the number that popped up on the screen and mailed it back to us. So it's home and back in action! Thanks very much to everyone who provided advice and tips on getting it back, it is much appreciated.

thats tight!

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California
What a fantastic outcome! It restores my faith in Humanity to see this, that there are still honest, decent people.:D Way to go Apple for providing us with the "find my iphone/ipad app! Sheer genius! My Husband had a similar outcome last year, when he left his iPad on the plane at our Orange County airport. The App lead the person who found it to call us and arrange for a return.:apple::D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.