Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:16 AM   #1
ToddJ
macrumors 6502

Apple.com telling me that my password has expired

When I tried to login to the apple.com forums, it said that my password had expired. However, when i downloaded something from iTunes it didn't say the same thing.....Is this normal?
ToddJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:43 AM   #2
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddJ View Post
When I tried to login to the apple.com forums, it said that my password had expired. However, when i downloaded something from iTunes it didn't say the same thing.....Is this normal?
I think so, yes. The forums are one of the few things on Apple.com NOT fully linked to the Apple ID system.
Old May 28, 2012, 10:43 AM   #3
ToddJ
macrumors 6502

ok...it is doing it again...is anyone else having this problem?
ToddJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:10 AM   #4
Jab00
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddJ View Post
ok...it is doing it again...is anyone else having this problem?
Yes! I am having this exact same problem and it is pissing me off... It was all working fine and dandy (I was able to download stuff on my iPhone) and then all of a sudden I couldn't log on to iCloud online.... and now that I upgraded to iOS 6 and told it to do iCloud backups it wants my password and says its not valid (but I can still download apps). I really don't want to change my password again because well I quite like mine lol
Jab00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:59 PM   #5
thehello
macrumors newbie

Hello all.
I've had this problem several times and was stumped and annoyed that I had to keep changing my password and fixing it in all the places I'm logged in with my Apple ID.
I have the answer! I called Apple tech support and they know why this is happening!!!
At some point in the past, when you went to appleid.apple.com and logged in, under the "Password and Security" option, there was a setting that allowed you to manage how often your password would expire, ie. every 1, 3, 6, 12 months... you get the idea. Well, in the recent past Apple made some changes and security enhancements to better protect peoples' private information, and guess what? They have since removed this option. One of the Senior Technical Advisors who knew exactly what I was talking about (and had intentionally turned this setting on for themselves) went into their own account, but alas, it the option was not there.
Solution?
Unfortunately, at this time, however often your password was set to keep expiring, it will continue to do so.
A possible solution in the future?
Call AppleCare 1-800-275-2273 and ask them (try to speak to a Senior Advisor) to put in a formal request to the "powers that be" to either permanently stop all accounts from having their passwords expire, or make a request that Apple return the user's option to change their password expiration setting. Or both. The more people need something to change, the more likely Apple will be able to make it a priority.
thehello is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help