Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jan 30, 2012, 06:56 AM   #1
PW168
macrumors newbie

Macbook Super slow after 10.6.8 upgrade

Hi,

I was happily using 10.6.7 until I upgraded to 10.6.8. After THE upgrade to 10.6.8, my mac is running SUPER slow!!! I have 50% of hard disk space so it shouldn't be a problem. I ran Repair Disk Permission, and Verify disk etc but no luck. Everything is running real slow - Mail, internet browser, ITunes, Finder everything - it takes minutes to load anything. All I see is the spinning rainbow wheel!!!! Please HELP! To get back to pre-upgrade speed, should I reinstall Snow Leopard or should I go for Snow Lion upgrade???? Any suggestions please????
PW168 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:00 AM   #2
simsaladimbamba

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example

Further reading:
Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor
Making The Most of Activity Monitor
What Is Activity Monitor (or How to Take Your Mac's Pulse)
Old Feb 1, 2012, 06:42 AM   #3
PW168
macrumors newbie

Mac Super slow after 10.6.8 upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
Further reading:
Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor
Making The Most of Activity Monitor
What Is Activity Monitor (or How to Take Your Mac's Pulse)
Old Feb 1, 2012, 06:51 AM   #4
Macman45
macrumors G5

How much RAM have you got? Lion can be a memory hog at times...At least 4GB is required....And many including me have at least 8GB.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 07:53 AM   #5
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
How much RAM have you got? Lion can be a memory hog at times...At least 4GB is required....And many including me have at least 8GB.
He is using 10.6.8. But I do want to know how much RAM the OP has, as it might be the culprit.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 07:58 PM   #6
vistadude
macrumors 65816

Sounds like your hard disk is dying. Could be a software glitch too, a clean install of snow leopard is a good idea if you can backup your data and programs.
vistadude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 05:49 AM   #7
PW168
macrumors newbie

Mac Super slow after 10.6.8 upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistadude View Post
Sounds like your hard disk is dying. Could be a software glitch too, a clean install of snow leopard is a good idea if you can backup your data and programs.
Can you send me a step by step instruction of how to perform a clean install of Snow Leopard 10.6? Or should I upgrade to Lion?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicated View Post
He is using 10.6.8. But I do want to know how much RAM the OP has, as it might be the culprit.
My macbook has 4G RAM.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 05:51 AM   #8
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW168 View Post
Can you send me a step by step instruction of how to perform a clean install of Snow Leopard 10.6? Or should I upgrade to Lion?
To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 29 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:
Short version: Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
Long version: Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard: How to Erase and Install
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 03:05 AM   #9
teddyelsen
macrumors newbie

Don't Worry

You're issue is 100% software, don't worry! I had the EXACT same issue when I used "Software Update" to update my system to 10.6.8....... As soon as I would go to 10.6.8 my computer became an expensive night light...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...phxfTFjrpHXJ-A

This is the google link to the official apple download.
First just reinstall snow leopard (10.6) from the disk(s) with the snow cat on the box This does take some time so be prepared.

Then just DL and Install the update above^^^
teddyelsen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2012, 01:19 PM   #10
stevelnyc
macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro blue screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyelsen View Post
You're issue is 100% software, don't worry! I had the EXACT same issue when I used "Software Update" to update my system to 10.6.8....... As soon as I would go to 10.6.8 my computer became an expensive night light...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...phxfTFjrpHXJ-A
I'm having the same problem with my MacBook Pro. Problems started after installing Adobe CS5.5 Design Premium trial version. Was able to use Disk Warrior to fix the first time but the second time noting. The report said most of the problems were with CS5.5 but was unable to remove the files. Finally I did remove them but the sluggishness/blue screen still existed, so I did a complete reformat (zero all data) and reinstalled the system. Blue screen and no multi-tasking still. I'm now wondering if the problem is the HD or Ram. Diagnostics via Disk Warrior, Disk Utility(from dvd) said everything appeared fine. Also permissions repair didn't help. Lastly, after reformatting I never got to updating the system software to 10.68.

Soooo, do I need a new hard drive? Replace the RAM (only 4 GB)? Was it just an incredible coincidence that CS5.5 went corrupt and was not the issue?
stevelnyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2013, 02:11 AM   #11
PW168
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Hi,

I was happily using 10.6.7 until I upgraded to 10.6.8. After THE upgrade to 10.6.8, my mac is running SUPER slow!!! I have 50% of hard disk space so it shouldn't be a problem. I ran Repair Disk Permission, and Verify disk etc but no luck. Everything is running real slow - Mail, internet browser, ITunes, Finder everything - it takes minutes to load anything. All I see is the spinning rainbow wheel!!!! Please HELP! To get back to pre-upgrade speed, should I reinstall Snow Leopard or should I go for Snow Lion upgrade???? Any suggestions please????
Finally found out what it was. It was MacKeeper! I uninstalled it and it's working fast like before!!!! Don't ever install MacKeeper!
Old May 20, 2014, 06:05 AM   #12
boppin
macrumors newbie

Quote:
After THE upgrade to 10.6.8, my mac is running SUPER slow!

I suggest do this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564?viewlocale=en_US

This should solve most of mac problems.
boppin is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X