Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PW168

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2009
Hi,

I was happily using 10.6.7 until I upgraded to 10.6.8. After THE upgrade to 10.6.8, my mac is running SUPER slow!!! I have 50% of hard disk space so it shouldn't be a problem. I ran Repair Disk Permission, and Verify disk etc but no luck. Everything is running real slow - Mail, internet browser, ITunes, Finder everything - it takes minutes to load anything. All I see is the spinning rainbow wheel!!!! Please HELP! To get back to pre-upgrade speed, should I reinstall Snow Leopard or should I go for Snow Lion upgrade???? Any suggestions please????:(

Nov 28, 2010
located

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
Acitivty_Monitor.png

Further reading:
______________________________________________________​

To get back to 10.6.7, you have to CLEAN INSTALL 10.6 and download the 10.6.7 Combo Update.
To update to Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, you have to buy it via the Mac App Store (MAS).

PW168

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2009
Mac Super slow after 10.6.8 upgrade

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
Further reading:
______________________________________________________​

To get back to 10.6.7, you have to CLEAN INSTALL 10.6 and download the 10.6.7 Combo Update.
To update to Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, you have to buy it via the Mac App Store (MAS).

I checked as you suggested. Nothing out of the ordinary. I don't have any heavy duty applications on my mac. Thanks for suggesting anyway.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Sounds like your hard disk is dying. Could be a software glitch too, a clean install of snow leopard is a good idea if you can backup your data and programs.

PW168

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2009
Mac Super slow after 10.6.8 upgrade

Sounds like your hard disk is dying. Could be a software glitch too, a clean install of snow leopard is a good idea if you can backup your data and programs.

Can you send me a step by step instruction of how to perform a clean install of Snow Leopard 10.6? Or should I upgrade to Lion?

----------

He is using 10.6.8. But I do want to know how much RAM the OP has, as it might be the culprit.

My macbook has 4G RAM.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Can you send me a step by step instruction of how to perform a clean install of Snow Leopard 10.6? Or should I upgrade to Lion?

To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 29 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:
Short version: Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
Long version: Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard: How to Erase and Install

teddyelsen

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2012
Don't Worry

You're issue is 100% software, don't worry! I had the EXACT same issue when I used "Software Update" to update my system to 10.6.8....... As soon as I would go to 10.6.8 my computer became an expensive night light...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...xW3n40iqq0Rde-79w&sig2=d0Bm5LRIphxfTFjrpHXJ-A

This is the google link to the official apple download.
First just reinstall snow leopard (10.6) from the disk(s) with the snow cat on the box :) This does take some time so be prepared.

Then just DL and Install the update above^^^

stevelnyc

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2012
MacBook Pro blue screen

You're issue is 100% software, don't worry! I had the EXACT same issue when I used "Software Update" to update my system to 10.6.8....... As soon as I would go to 10.6.8 my computer became an expensive night light...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...xW3n40iqq0Rde-79w&sig2=d0Bm5LRIphxfTFjrpHXJ-A

I'm having the same problem with my MacBook Pro. Problems started after installing Adobe CS5.5 Design Premium trial version. Was able to use Disk Warrior to fix the first time but the second time noting. The report said most of the problems were with CS5.5 but was unable to remove the files. Finally I did remove them but the sluggishness/blue screen still existed, so I did a complete reformat (zero all data) and reinstalled the system. Blue screen and no multi-tasking still. I'm now wondering if the problem is the HD or Ram. Diagnostics via Disk Warrior, Disk Utility(from dvd) said everything appeared fine. Also permissions repair didn't help. Lastly, after reformatting I never got to updating the system software to 10.68.

Soooo, do I need a new hard drive? Replace the RAM (only 4 GB)? Was it just an incredible coincidence that CS5.5 went corrupt and was not the issue?

PW168

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2009
Hi,

I was happily using 10.6.7 until I upgraded to 10.6.8. After THE upgrade to 10.6.8, my mac is running SUPER slow!!! I have 50% of hard disk space so it shouldn't be a problem. I ran Repair Disk Permission, and Verify disk etc but no luck. Everything is running real slow - Mail, internet browser, ITunes, Finder everything - it takes minutes to load anything. All I see is the spinning rainbow wheel!!!! Please HELP! To get back to pre-upgrade speed, should I reinstall Snow Leopard or should I go for Snow Lion upgrade???? Any suggestions please????:(

Finally found out what it was. It was MacKeeper! I uninstalled it and it's working fast like before!!!! Don't ever install MacKeeper!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.