iPhone 4S won't turn off and stay off? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:24 PM   #1
Jamesesesesess
macrumors 6502a

iPhone 4S won't turn off and stay off?

Ever since last week I've had a really annoying issue with my iPhone 4S. When I turn it off, it immediately turns right back on. I usually always leave my iPhone on but when I'm in school I need to have it off. I've tried resetting it (sleep + home button) but it's still happening. I haven't tried draining the battery or restoring but I don't see how either would fix anything. I've uninstalled all of my latest apps incase they were interfering and that changed nothing. Does anyone know how to fix this? Anyone else have this issue?
Jamesesesesess is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:46 PM   #2
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

not having the issue but I would suggest fully draining the battery. Well, I suppose I'd try a full restore first but then try the battery thing. Maybe the sleep/wake button is malfunctioning. I think as a test, try draining the battery all the way down and let the phone shut itself off. Do a restore if you're willing to.
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:04 PM   #3
Jamesesesesess
macrumors 6502a

Draining the battery did nothing. I'll try restoring it tomorrow. If that doesn't work should I take it to the Apple store?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:42 AM   #4
robbyrams
macrumors newbie

I am currently having the same issue. How did you resolve the problem?
robbyrams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:22 PM   #5
actpa
macrumors newbie

I also just started having this problem with my 4s. The funny thing is the phone will turn off if it's plugged in. When it's not plugged in, it will reboot instead of turning off.

I'm at my wits end, having tried everything up to a full wipe and factory restore. Has anyone been able to fix this?
actpa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:23 PM   #6
robbyrams
macrumors newbie

mine will also turn off if connected to power but no luck otherwise. Think its time to get in contact with apple and get myself a new phone
robbyrams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 02:07 PM   #7
actpa
macrumors newbie

Just a bit of followup--I ended up exchanging the phone, which solved the problem.
actpa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:28 PM   #8
Dviper27
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesesesesess View Post
Draining the battery did nothing. I'll try restoring it tomorrow. If that doesn't work should I take it to the Apple store?
Yes, try restoring, if not take it to the Apple Store (;
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:17 PM   #9
pac1928
macrumors newbie

My iPhone 4S shuts off twice a day

I'm on my 3rd iPhone from Apple (provider - Verizon) and still having the same issues. I've had 4 Apple techs troubleshoot, it's be replaced 3 times, yet I'm still having the same issue: the phone completely shuts down and does not reboot unless I do it manually.

It's been restored to factory settings (as new), they wiped something else (can't recall what it was), they've had me keep my apps off and load them one-by-one, I've stopped pulling things from iCloud and my iTunes... I really don't know what else to do. Nobody can figure it out.
pac1928 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 05:40 PM   #10
Jamesesesesess
macrumors 6502a

The problem randomly solved itself. I don't know why as I didn't do anything but at least it's turning off again.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:49 PM   #11
moonman239
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesesesesess View Post
The problem randomly solved itself. I don't know why as I didn't do anything but at least it's turning off again.
Put it on vibrate when you're in school. I highly doubt they'd know or even care if the phone is on.

And yes, I know your problem's solved. Hooray, right?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 03:22 PM   #12
Mardelle920
macrumors newbie

I had the same issue off and on since I got my 4s in January this year. While it is still under warranty get it replaced. After the 3rd time this happened to me I got the phone replaced. Amazing now the battery doeesn't run out in less than a day and it actually hold a charge. Trust me the phone is faulty. It will correct itself and then it will happen again replace your phone.

Last edited by Mardelle920; Apr 21, 2012 at 03:48 PM.
Mardelle920 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:54 AM   #13
sauria
macrumors regular

Exclamation Apple Dock iPhone 4S

I just had my 4S replaced at the Apple Store. It turns off when hooked directly to the Apple cable but turns back on on the Apple Dock. I have tried two docks and both do it. Replacement phone now has the same problem. I think that Apple Dock damages the connector in the phone.
sauria is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:48 PM   #14
Emily2222
macrumors newbie

Mine dose the same thing. Had to send it back. Got my new one it's doing the same thing!
Emily2222 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:03 PM   #15
sauria
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily2222 View Post
Mine dose the same thing. Had to send it back. Got my new one it's doing the same thing!

What iOS version?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:13 AM   #16
rogerbarrett
macrumors regular

put out the battery ... it will turn off automatically :P
rogerbarrett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:41 AM   #17
Kshipman17
macrumors newbie

I had the same problem and all I had to do was use a clean, dry toothbrush to clean the charging port. Worked like a charm.
Kshipman17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 06:55 AM   #18
sauria
macrumors regular

Is this fixed in iOS 6?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 08:21 PM   #19
sagati
macrumors newbie

I don't think so, but here's what I noticed: the slider to turn off the phone has only showed up once (for me) since the last OS upgrade. I'm used to watching for that slider, so I tried to let go of the buttons when I attempt to turn it off as soon as the screen goes black, and it STAYED off. Not saying this is a fix, but it's at least a work-around.
sagati is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:09 AM   #20
sauria
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagati View Post
I don't think so, but here's what I noticed: the slider to turn off the phone has only showed up once (for me) since the last OS upgrade. I'm used to watching for that slider, so I tried to let go of the buttons when I attempt to turn it off as soon as the screen goes black, and it STAYED off. Not saying this is a fix, but it's at least a work-around.
Thanks, try this on a dock versus just attached to the cable? ON the dock, it turns back on. ON the cable, it shuts off.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting