Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jacksoncmc835

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
Can't decide what to get, I like the 11in air but idk if in actual use I'd probally prefer 13 in, can't deicde if I want an air or pro... cons of pro is weight and size

What's you thoughts?

jacksoncmc835

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
Mainly going to use it at school for internet, papers... , just trying to be more prodctive between classes nothing to extensive... but ineed sonthing that will be able to last 4 years till I'm out of collage... I know its a long time ...

I also have an imac 8gb ram core 2 duo, for main task

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
I had to make the same decision. Got the 13" Air.

Light. SSD is super fast. And the high resolution (higher than the 13" Pro, keep in mind) lets me view we pages + word docs more comfortably side-by-side for writing papers.

jltj

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
I vote for the 13" Air if you don't need an optical drive on the go, also since you already have an iMac.

jacksoncmc835

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
I was also considering ipad but idk, it would be nice but then I would also need keyboard stand and it just wouldn't be the same

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
I'm gonna have to go play with them again tomarrow

Well, if you think spending 1,300 on a computer is nothing too expensive, then why not go for it?
I was in the same situation, but it was different with me. I have Macbook Pro 13", instead of an iMac, although I use it as if it is a desktop.
I was thinking of getting an iPad 2 or Macbook Air, but thought to myself that iPad+Keyboard is still $568, where as a Macbook Air 13" is 1,299. Since my Macbook Pro does all the heavy duty stuff, I got myself an iPad with Keyboard, so that I could type 2,000 words of research paper, edit, proof-read, etc.

If having an actual powerful OS is your choice and money is not a problem, get the Air. Like others said, it's an amazing laptop.

notMordecai

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
Texas
Does the added area of the screen really make a difference between the 11" and the 13"? I know they are pretty close in resolution but not enough to where I can see myself dropping an extra 300 for two inches of diagonal space.

jacksoncmc835

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
Money is part of the issue, along with that I can't decide what I want... I have consider an ipad and keyboard and would probally go for it if the ipad3 where realeased soon

anirudh

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2008
India
For once I would suggest the 11". You already have an iMac, the 11" would be more portable and offers the same performance as the base 13"

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
You said you need it for college and that it should last you 4 years. This makes me assume that you're not in college yet? In any case, I see 4 GB of RAM in current MBA as a potential issue tied to your desired longevity. If you can wait a bit, you may want to consider doing so to see if the next MBA refresh offers an optional 8 GB of RAM. If so, MBA 13 is likely what you may consider as your #1 choice. It is already a fantastic machine as it is.

jacksoncmc835

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
Any ideas or speculation when the refresh will be?, I'm going for pharmd which is a 6 year program up to 8 if i do fellowship

superstarmc

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
Mainly going to use it at school for internet, papers... , just trying to be more prodctive between classes nothing to extensive... but ineed sonthing that will be able to last 4 years till I'm out of collage... I know its a long time ...

I also have an imac 8gb ram core 2 duo, for main task
I was in this exact same position where I needed something that was very portable but was plenty powerful for home use and to do everything itunes or iphoto. I got the 11" macbook air in August and don't regret not getting the MBP. I also have an external monitor when I have to write a lot of papers and stuff.

anirudh

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2008
India
Nothing is for certain, but a safe bet would be Q3 2012. If you can wait, then great, but even if you pick the high end 11" now, you won't be sorry. You have the iMac to do any heavy lifting if you feel like. For everything else the 11" is perfect

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2010
Get the air for the following reasons.

1. Smaller/lighter.
2. Compliments your iMac better.
3. Can't install battlefield 3 and play it between classes (get back to work!)

Hawkeye16

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Iowa
I have the i5 with 4GB ram and I have no lag or skipping playing HD video, or any of the other stuff you mentioned. I think unless you are planning on playing games on it or doing some large video/picture editing there is no need for the i7.

I got the air over the pro because I am planning on getting a desktop soon. If you didn't have a desktop I would say go for the Pro but seing as you have an iMac I would say the Air is the way to go.

joshuaginter

macrumors regular
May 19, 2011
Canada
Unless I have missed something, nobody here seems to have mentioned battery life. I had an 11" Air for school purposes and, due to my schedule, battery life was a big issue for me. With Wifi and bluetooth running, you should expect a MAXIMUM of what Apple advertises, with real use extending to the 3-4 hour range. If you can fit your school work into that timeframe, or if your college has proper charging facilities, then the 11" Air sounds good. If not, the 13" Air/Pro would be better.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why would you only ask this on the air forum?

because he cannot cross post in the MBP forum - against the rules ;)

----------

If light document creation, and there is no need for an optical drive then the air makes more sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.