Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Jan 31, 2012, 08:35 AM   #1
MassMacGuy
macrumors newbie

ID File has images but no links?

I had a client who doesnt know much about InDesign bring in her laptop for me to get her files from.

I packaged her document and opened it on my computer. Opens fine, no warnings at all. Everything looks good so we printed a proof and that was it for yesterday.

Today when I look at the doc to make some text edits and image edits, I see that there are only 4 actual links of about 30 images in this document. The rest are just, well, they are just there. They display in full resolution and print just fine, but they do not appear to be linked or embedded.

Any idea how this could be?

Also the ID file is just 12 pages, yet the file size is 300 MB.

I have never seen images like this before, any ideas?
MassMacGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 08:46 AM   #2
Apple Key
macrumors 6502a

If they don't appear in the Links palette, then they are most likely embedded. One way you can accomplish this is to open an image in Photoshop, and select all, and then copy. Then paste the contents into the InDesign document.

I'm not sure if there is a better way to do this, but to remove the embedded images, you could select the images one at a time, and copy-paste them into Photoshop, and then save them as separate images.
Apple Key is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:17 AM   #3
jeremy h
macrumors 6502

Yep - you can embed images within InDesign. I think you can set it up to do this in the Prefs.

Can't you just go to Export and export them all out from there?
jeremy h is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 01:01 PM   #4
radug
macrumors member

they're embedded for sure.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 07:33 AM   #5
elannasdad
macrumors newbie

Not sure about CS4 and earlier but in CS5 and 5.5 you can "unembed" links in the Links Panel (right click on link > Unembed Link). You'll get the option of where you want to save the image file.
elannasdad is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics