Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MassMacGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
I had a client who doesnt know much about InDesign bring in her laptop for me to get her files from.

I packaged her document and opened it on my computer. Opens fine, no warnings at all. Everything looks good so we printed a proof and that was it for yesterday.

Today when I look at the doc to make some text edits and image edits, I see that there are only 4 actual links of about 30 images in this document. The rest are just, well, they are just there. They display in full resolution and print just fine, but they do not appear to be linked or embedded.

Any idea how this could be?

Also the ID file is just 12 pages, yet the file size is 300 MB.

I have never seen images like this before, any ideas?

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
If they don't appear in the Links palette, then they are most likely embedded. One way you can accomplish this is to open an image in Photoshop, and select all, and then copy. Then paste the contents into the InDesign document.

I'm not sure if there is a better way to do this, but to remove the embedded images, you could select the images one at a time, and copy-paste them into Photoshop, and then save them as separate images.

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
Yep - you can embed images within InDesign. I think you can set it up to do this in the Prefs.

Can't you just go to Export and export them all out from there?

elannasdad

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2009
Not sure about CS4 and earlier but in CS5 and 5.5 you can "unembed" links in the Links Panel (right click on link > Unembed Link). You'll get the option of where you want to save the image file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.