Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BadboyHouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
I was just downloading an email with an attachment.

Suddenly the 4S reboots and comes back on to the Connect to iTunes screen.

Connect to iTunes which then says "iTunes has detected an iPhone in Recovery Mode. You must restore...."

I can't believe it. How can downloading an email trigger this sort of problem? I went from a fully working iPhone, to a completely corrupted phone, no iOS even recognised as being installed, within 3 seconds.

Fortunately I take regular backups so I can restore ok but why the hell has this happened?????

Last edited:

BadboyHouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
It was actually a wallpaper I'd downloaded on my macbook from this forum. emailed it to my iPhone to add as a wallpaper.

What's even stranger now is when I go to restore the iPhone in iTunes, it isn't even recognising that iOS 5.0.1 is installed (it came with this). It's downloading iOS 5.0.1 now - 800MB in size!

BanterClaus

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
UK
This was probably nothing to do with opening the email and it was coincidental that the OS corrupted at that time.

Still weird though.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
What's even stranger now is when I go to restore the iPhone in iTunes, it isn't even recognising that iOS 5.0.1 is installed (it came with this). It's downloading iOS 5.0.1 now - 800MB in size!

That always happens.
Itunes needs to download the latest ios for your device in order to install it.
It doesnt install what is already there on your iphone or came preinstalled.

This was probably nothing to do with opening the email and it was coincidental that the OS corrupted at that time.

Still weird though.

My thoughts as well.

BadboyHouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
I'd like to know why it happened so easily but I guess that will be impossible to find out.

It's damn frustrating but I'm cool.

BadboyHouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
It won't restore. I get an "unknown error" but I've posted in the troubleshooting forum. Perhaps this thread could be locked?

BadboyHouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
I took the phone back to the Apple shop today. The "genius" asked me what the error code was and then just did a straight swap for a new phone.

Apparently error 1063 is a firmware/logic board problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.