Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Feb 2, 2012, 09:53 PM   #1
Jayrcee
macrumors regular

Question Update Samsung 830 SSD Firmware Prior To Installing Lion?

I just bought a 2011 Mini Server (i'm a switcher ) and am planning to swap in a Samsung 256GB SSD. The SSD has been formated to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Should I upgrade the firmware prior to installing the SSD, and if so, how best should I do this?
Thanks!
Jayrcee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:10 PM   #2
nkawal
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrcee View Post
I just bought a 2011 Mini Server (i'm a switcher ) and am planning to swap in a Samsung 256GB SSD. The SSD has been formated to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Should I upgrade the firmware prior to installing the SSD, and if so, how best should I do this?
Thanks!
I too want to do the samething. Unfortunately it looks like we have to plug the drive up to a windows machine and perform the update.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:28 PM   #3
philipma1957
macrumors 603

yeah I just got off samsungs website and i don't think a mac can do this. maybe some one knows how on this site.
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:59 AM   #4
Jayrcee
macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses! Guess i'm going to have to stay with the firmware that the ssd came with since I don't have a Windows machine anymore.
Jayrcee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 01:27 AM   #5
archangel37
macrumors member

If you're talking about updating BEFORE you install Lion, you're probably without options. I think you should be able to update the firmware in boot camp through a Windows partition, but only after you install Lion. That's my goal.
archangel37 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 04:47 AM   #6
philipma1957
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel37 View Post
If you're talking about updating BEFORE you install Lion, you're probably without options. I think you should be able to update the firmware in boot camp through a Windows partition, but only after you install Lion. That's my goal.
I am not so sure. Please let us know if you can get it to work that way. If it does work please make a thread on it.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 09:39 AM   #7
nkawal
macrumors regular

I ended up plugging up my new 128gb samsung 830 ssd to a windows pc and updating the firmware. Firmware update fine and installed into my mid 2011 mac mini 2.5ghz with 8gb g.skill ram. All i can say is that I dont think i can ever go back to a HDD, SSD is definately the way to go.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 07:59 PM   #8
archangel37
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipma1957 View Post
I am not so sure. Please let us know if you can get it to work that way. If it does work please make a thread on it.
I was able to get the 830's firmware updated with Samsung's Magician SSD software under boot camp/Windows 7. Once I installed the software, it reported a new firmware. I downloaded it, found it using Magician, and then updated. A restart later, and I can confirm it is the same firmware as reported by the Samsung downloads website.

In contrast to OWC's firmware update software(s), this one worked like a charm.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 09:45 PM   #9
philipma1957
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel37 View Post
I was able to get the 830's firmware updated with Samsung's Magician SSD software under boot camp/Windows 7. Once I installed the software, it reported a new firmware. I downloaded it, found it using Magician, and then updated. A restart later, and I can confirm it is the same firmware as reported by the Samsung downloads website.

In contrast to OWC's firmware update software(s), this one worked like a charm.
thanks I wonder if windows 7 with vm fusion will do the trick.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 09:52 PM   #10
shortcut3d
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've had no problems with OWC or OCZ current Linux boot disk methods to update the firmware. I can confirm that you can update the firmware over Thunderbolt as well which is good news because you can put any Thunderbolt Mac in target disk mode and update from another Mac with bootcamp. No need to have bootcamp on each machine.

I would not try running a firmware update through a VM. The complete path through to the SATA controller is virtualized. This will most likely result in bricking your SSD, if the tool even starts. Good tools will recognize this and prevent the user from updating the firmware.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:37 PM   #11
archangel37
macrumors member

What machine did you use to update the OWC SSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've had no problems with OWC or OCZ current Linux boot disk methods to update the firmware. I can confirm that you can update the firmware over Thunderbolt as well which is good news because you can put any Thunderbolt Mac in target disk mode and update from another Mac with bootcamp. No need to have bootcamp on each machine.

I would not try running a firmware update through a VM. The complete path through to the SATA controller is virtualized. This will most likely result in bricking your SSD, if the tool even starts. Good tools will recognize this and prevent the user from updating the firmware.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:59 PM   #12
shortcut3d
macrumors 6502a

I attempted to update the firmware on the 2011 Mac mini, 2010 27" iMac, and 2011 15" MBP using the OWC utility. I got the utility to boot to Linux and start the firmware upgrade process, but alas the Mercury Extreme Pro 3G and 6G version were already current. The OCZ Linux boot disk were test on the 2011 15" MBP and the 2011 Mac mini. For reference, I have a LaCie Slim Blu-ray RW USB powered.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:28 PM   #13
archangel37
macrumors member

Quote:
I attempted to update the firmware on the 2011 Mac mini, 2010 27" iMac, and 2011 15" MBP using the OWC utility. I got the utility to boot to Linux and start the firmware upgrade process, but alas the Mercury Extreme Pro 3G and 6G version were already current. The OCZ Linux boot disk were test on the 2011 15" MBP and the 2011 Mac mini. For reference, I have a LaCie Slim Blu-ray RW USB powered.
Ah, yeah, maybe had it not been current, we could have seen whether you would have had a problem like mine or not. Thanks again!
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:09 AM   #14
spartan86
macrumors newbie

You can find the update utility on samsung's website. They even have an iso image if you want to update from linux/mac/noOS. I've no Mac right here to test it, so you maybe need to use refit to boot from USB (if you make a bootable usb from the iso). Basically it will be the same as booting in bootcamp when you want to install windows. Instead you'll get the update utility running.
Have a nice weekend!
spartan86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:18 PM   #15
iceman600
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to iceman600
Quote:
will this OWC utility will work for updating samsung 830? can you provide a link for that utility? thanks...
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:57 PM   #16
Glen Quagmire
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman600 View Post
will this OWC utility will work for updating samsung 830? can you provide a link for that utility? thanks...
The Samsung drive is completely different to the OWC one. OWC uses a Sandforce controller; Samsung uses a Samsung one. It best, it'll refuse to run because it can't find a compatible drive; at worst, it'll brick your drive.

Would, for example, you try and apply a PS3 firmware update to an Xbox 360? After all, they're both consoles.
Glen Quagmire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2012, 04:00 PM   #17
shortcut3d
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman600 View Post
The OWC utility will only update the firmware for OWC drives. It will not even recognize other Sandforce based drives. This is the same for the OCZ utility. Both utilities are bootable Linux distributions with the appropriate drivers to allow for flashing.

Create a small bootcamp partition and update from there if you have no other choice. You can easily delete the bootcamp partition afterwards and reclaim the space for OSX. Thankfully, firmware updates for SSDs are infrequent.
Old May 9, 2012, 11:42 AM   #18
mund
macrumors member

Would this work.... if not pardon my lack of technical expertise.

Quote:
The OWC utility will only update the firmware for OWC drives. It will not even recognize other Sandforce based drives. This is the same for the OCZ utility. Both utilities are bootable Linux distributions with the appropriate drivers to allow for flashing.

Create a small bootcamp partition and update from there if you have no other choice. You can easily delete the bootcamp partition afterwards and reclaim the space for OSX. Thankfully, firmware updates for SSDs are infrequent.
My Samsung 830 is due to be delivered today. I have a MBP & iMac, with an old (6yrs) HP NW8000 portable workstation laptop. I heard that I can call Samsung and based on the serial number of the drive, they can confirm which Firmware rev. it is at. If I need to update to the most recent rev.....

Would using the supplied SATA - USB cable, the usb end plugged into my laptop, with the Samsung software installed, update the firmware through this connection?____________ or does it have to be SATA TO SATA to do?____

If so, this sucks!

Does the SSD need to have Lion installed on it prior to upgrading the firmware?_____ If not... can I run over to a neighbor, rip their Windows desktop system apart, plug my SSD in, install the software and update my firmware?_____ ... not kidding, because I have no means of updating it if the above will not work... no windows on my MBP or iMac.

Always something...
mund is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012, 09:47 AM   #19
jonathan999
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mund View Post
My Samsung 830 is due to be delivered today. I have a MBP & iMac, with an old (6yrs) HP NW8000 portable workstation laptop. I heard that I can call Samsung and based on the serial number of the drive, they can confirm which Firmware rev. it is at. If I need to update to the most recent rev.....

Would using the supplied SATA - USB cable, the usb end plugged into my laptop, with the Samsung software installed, update the firmware through this connection?____________ or does it have to be SATA TO SATA to do?____

If so, this sucks!

Does the SSD need to have Lion installed on it prior to upgrading the firmware?_____ If not... can I run over to a neighbor, rip their Windows desktop system apart, plug my SSD in, install the software and update my firmware?_____ ... not kidding, because I have no means of updating it if the above will not work... no windows on my MBP or iMac.

Always something...
I would also like to know the answer to this.
Buying an 830 series SSD shortly, and I've not been able to find out how I can do two things:
1) Update the firmware easily (i.e. without needing windows)
2) Optimize the disk (all Windows install info I see says to use Magician to "optimize" the disk).
3) A third point. I'd like to know if it is possible to enable the self-encryption? The commercial version of the drive (basically identical) supports encryption, but have found no info on whether or not if there is any way to activate it, or not, on the consumer version.
jonathan999 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:24 AM   #20
uktivo
macrumors newbie

Sorry to hijack the thread but I though it best to add to an existing one save creating a new one.

I've got a samsung 830 ssd drive (512gb) yesterday. I've come into my office today to update to the latest firmware on a windows machine. Here is my issue.
I've downloaded the latest samsung software Magician. I've plugged in the USB adaptor and connected the ssd. The machine sees the drive.. it calls it a USB Production in windows. But when I open the magician software, it can't see the drive at all.

Can any one give any pointers please? I'm lost...

----------

oops sorry wrong system. please ignore
uktivo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:47 AM   #21
BSoares
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by uktivo View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread but I though it best to add to an existing one save creating a new one.

I've got a samsung 830 ssd drive (512gb) yesterday. I've come into my office today to update to the latest firmware on a windows machine. Here is my issue.
I've downloaded the latest samsung software Magician. I've plugged in the USB adaptor and connected the ssd. The machine sees the drive.. it calls it a USB Production in windows. But when I open the magician software, it can't see the drive at all.

Can any one give any pointers please? I'm lost...

----------

oops sorry wrong system. please ignore
Usually you can't update an SSD's firmware via a USB adapter because the firmware utility then detects the USB controller, not the SSD itself. You have to connect it to the SATA port
BSoares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 09:57 AM   #22
The.316
macrumors 65816

Do I need to upgrade the firmware of the Samsung 830 first, then format it for my iMac, or does it not matter which is done first?
The.316 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 10:55 AM   #23
philipma1957
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.316 View Post
Do I need to upgrade the firmware of the Samsung 830 first, then format it for my iMac, or does it not matter which is done first?
you need put it in a windows machine check the firmware update if needed pull from the windows machine put in a mac format for mac done.

of course if the ssd is new it may have the new firmware.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 02:58 PM   #24
The.316
macrumors 65816

Quote:
you need put it in a windows machine check the firmware update if needed pull from the windows machine put in a mac format for mac done.

Thanks for that. I'm going to the Samsung 830 from a corsair SSD, did I make the right choice?
The.316 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:44 PM   #25
dellsweig
macrumors newbie

Quote:

All

The process for non-windows system is easy and built into the Samsung uility.

Under the Windows based utility (firmware upgrade) there is an option to create either a USB bootable ot CD bootable upgrade disk. Simply create the media and boot your MAC - new drivers are applied from there
dellsweig is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini