Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpaquette

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
Columbia, SC
Today I installed my Samsung 830 SSD in my early 2011 MBP. It originally came with Snow Leopard and I purchased Lion from the Mac App Store when it was released. So after installing my new SSD, I hold down command-R and boot into Lion recovery. I used the disk utility to format the new drive. Then click the option to download and install Lion. At that point, the screen hangs and goes no further. I never get the option to enter my Apple ID to verify my Lion purchase. Anyone have any ideas?

At this point I think I may just instal Snow Leopard from the original CD.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
How long are you waiting? It's a long download even on a fairly fast net connection....

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Today I installed my Samsung 830 SSD in my early 2011 MBP. It originally came with Snow Leopard and I purchased Lion from the Mac App Store when it was released. So after installing my new SSD, I hold down command-R and boot into Lion recovery. I used the disk utility to format the new drive. Then click the option to download and install Lion. At that point, the screen hangs and goes no further. I never get the option to enter my Apple ID to verify my Lion purchase. Anyone have any ideas?

At this point I think I may just instal Snow Leopard from the original CD.

I had a bit of hiccup with this when I did a SSD upgrade. I just downloaded the file from the MacAppStore since the CD and thumb drive I put the image/data on weren't working all the way. So, download that, start it up. It'll upgrade your Snow Leopard to Lion.

- Boot to Desktop (not at startup)
- (Re)download Lion from Mac App Store. [past purchases aren't paid double, you only pay ONCE and you can re-download as much as you want with no extra fees]
- Start the installation process.
- Snow Leopard will be upgraded to Lion.

I'm not saying this will work, but it's just a suggestion.

Last edited:

mpaquette

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
Columbia, SC
How long are you waiting? It's a long download even on a fairly fast net connection....

It's not downloading anything. No evidence of any Internet activity, just the spinning wheel. And never asks me for my Apple ID which has always been required in the past before downloading Lion.

----------

I had a bit of hiccup with this when I did a SSD upgrade. I just downloaded the file from the MacAppStore since the CD and thumb drive I put the image/data on weren't working all the way. So, download that, start it up. It'll upgrade your Snow Leopard to Lion.

- Boot to Desktop (not at startup)
- (Re)download Lion from Mac App Store. [past purchases aren't paid double, you only pay ONCE and you can re-download as much as you want with no extra fees]
- Start the installation process.
- Snow Leopard will be upgraded to Lion.

I'm not saying this will work, but it's just a suggestion.

I ended up installing Snow Leopard, upgrading to Lion from the App Store, then doing a clean Lion install from the Recovery HD partition that Lion created on my new hard drive. Definitely the long way around, but it worked.

My initial install on the new SSD seemed to get hung up when it realized my hard drive was completely blank. I turned on the logging the last time I tried the recovery install and it said something about App Store file something or another missing, then it looked for a directory that obviously didn't exist since it's a new hard drive. Then nothing, no other entries in the log and no evidence of Internet activity.

Maybe Apple really doesn't want us swapping out our hard drives.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
It's not downloading anything. No evidence of any Internet activity, just the spinning wheel. And never asks me for my Apple ID which has always been required in the past before downloading Lion.

----------

I ended up installing Snow Leopard, upgrading to Lion from the App Store, then doing a clean Lion install from the Recovery HD partition that Lion created on my new hard drive. Definitely the long way around, but it worked.

My initial install on the new SSD seemed to get hung up when it realized my hard drive was completely blank. I turned on the logging the last time I tried the recovery install and it said something about App Store file something or another missing, then it looked for a directory that obviously didn't exist since it's a new hard drive. Then nothing, no other entries in the log and no evidence of Internet activity.

Maybe Apple really doesn't want us swapping out our hard drives.

Well, I'm assuming now that you have it fixed?

I don't know if mine was a special case or not. But, when I installed my SSD and moved my HDD to the optibay, I had it boot from the HDD. I then installed Lion into the SSD into the drive that was in the old HDD bay with no problems. After everything was set into place, I formatted the HDD. I wanted to start brand new, that's why I didn't clone it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.