Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:48 AM   #1
Cagle
macrumors regular

Screenshot capture of movie is blank

Is there anyway to capture a screenshot of a streaming movie, or iTunes trailer played on your mac? I've tried using Grab, Shift, Command and 3 and quicktime screen recording, but always end up with the movie portion being blanked out. I assume its because of protected video settings?
Cagle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:01 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba

I can easily screen-shoot a frame from a trailer from Apple played in QT Player X via CMD+SHIFT+4 > Spacebar.

What exactly do you want to shoot?
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:18 PM   #3
Cagle
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
I can easily screen-shoot a frame from a trailer from Apple played in QT Player X via CMD+SHIFT+4 > Spacebar.

What exactly do you want to shoot?
thanks, I tried your suggestion but the resulting screenshot still came out blank, just a grey/white checkered pattern

it's a trailer I have opened in iTunes, I just wanted to grab a fame of it as a png.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:21 PM   #4
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagle View Post
thanks, I tried your suggestion but the resulting screenshot still came out blank, just a grey/white checkered pattern

it's a trailer I have opened in iTunes, I just wanted to grab a fame of it as a png.
Is the trailer also available on http://trailers.apple.com? If so, try it there, as it opens the trailer in QT Player.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:24 PM   #5
Cagle
macrumors regular

Quote:
Is the trailer also available on http://trailers.apple.com? If so, try it there, as it opens the trailer in QT Player.
nope, its an old movie, but I thought iTunes used quicktime player to play stuff, so i'd have thought it would work (your keyboard commands worked)
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:26 PM   #6
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
nope, its an old movie, but I thought iTunes used quicktime player to play stuff, so i'd have thought it would work (your keyboard commands worked)
What exact movie is it? And did CMD+SHIF+4 > SPACEBAR worked, though CMD+SHIFT+3 did not?
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:30 PM   #7
Cagle
macrumors regular

Quote:
What exact movie is it? And did CMD+SHIF+4 > SPACEBAR worked, though CMD+SHIFT+3 did not?
edward scissorhands - both commands worked, yours brought up a crosshair which let me select part of the screen and capture, the command, shift 3 just took a snap of the whole screen - both captures came out blank wherever the trailer was.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 01:44 PM   #8
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
edward scissorhands - both commands worked, yours brought up a crosshair which let me select part of the screen and capture, the command, shift 3 just took a snap of the whole screen - both captures came out blank wherever the trailer was.
Yep, tried it too, didn't work. And the trailers I found online were 4:3 and of abysmal quality, but I didn't look that thorough.

I could however record the trailer via ScreenFlow, it stutters a bit, but I could upload the 134 MB to 2Shared or somewhere else if you want. You could then play the file in Movist and create screenshots via CMD+I.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 01:49 PM   #9
markfrautschi
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to markfrautschi
Copyright / Fair Use Issue

You may have encountered a copyright / fair use issue with the protected content from which you want to make a screen capture. The laws and standards for fair use vary by country and the content owners and software implementers of course must try to account for all that. If this turns out to be the issue and you have done the legal research to prove what you want to do is allowed under the principle of fair use (which exists in the US and many countries but may not exist where you are) then you may want to investigate using software with a different implementation of the protection schemes that will allow you to make the screen capture. One piece of software which may work in your area from a technical standpoint would be the VLC Player. http://videolan.org/

I am not a lawyer nor am I an expert on the VLC Player. If you have further legal or technical questions I will in all likelihood not be able to help further.
markfrautschi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 01:56 PM   #10
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

Quote:
just a grey/white checkered pattern
Yes, it's a DRM thing. I got the same when trying to take a screen shot of a dvd in DVDPlayer...and it was a homemade one!
Old Feb 4, 2012, 02:05 PM   #11
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

VLC Player has a built-in command to take screen shots.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenCap 8.PNG
Views:	42
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	323061
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 02:09 PM   #12
Cagle
macrumors regular

Quote:
Yep, tried it too, didn't work. And the trailers I found online were 4:3 and of abysmal quality, but I didn't look that thorough.

I could however record the trailer via ScreenFlow, it stutters a bit, but I could upload the 134 MB to 2Shared or somewhere else if you want. You could then play the file in Movist and create screenshots via CMD+I.
thats very kind of you but I'm about 44 minutes away from obtaining the hd version from a different source all I wanted was one frame and they've forced me to steal the whole movie!
Cagle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 02:13 PM   #13
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
thats very kind of you but I'm about 44 minutes away from obtaining the hd version from a different source all I wanted was one frame and they've forced me to steal the whole movie!
I could give you the frame, if you tell me what time the frame occurs at, but I guess the illegally obtainable HD version has much better quality than the SD version of the trailer.
Anyway, as mentioned before, Movist and VLC Player can make screenshots of the current frame (wait till the pause sign has disappeared though) without the window borders and such.

Good luck.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 02:14 PM   #14
Cagle
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfrautschi View Post
standpoint would be the VLC Player. http://videolan.org/
that would be good but I don't see a clear way to download the trailer from iTunes for playback in the vlc player. i also don't see a way to get the URL of the trailer for steaming playback in vlc
Old Feb 4, 2012, 02:35 PM   #15
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
that would be good but I don't see a clear way to download the trailer from iTunes for playback in the vlc player. i also don't see a way to get the URL of the trailer for steaming playback in vlc
I just went to the iTunes Store, downloaded a free 1080p trailer in iTunes, right-clicked on the trailer and chose Show in Finder, then right-clicked on the file in Finder and chose Open with: VLC Player... then was able to take a screen shot. It's really quite simple.

Also, for the specific movie you mentioned, I played the trailer in iTunes and took a screen capture while it was playing. It worked fine.

Last edited by GGJstudios; Feb 4, 2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 02:58 PM   #16
Cagle
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
I just went to the iTunes Store, downloaded a free 1080p trailer in iTunes, right-clicked on the trailer and chose Show in Finder, then right-clicked on the file in Finder and chose Open with: VLC Player... then was able to take a screen shot. It's really quite simple.

Also, for the specific movie you mentioned, I played the trailer in iTunes and took a screen capture while it was playing. It worked fine.
i'm sorry I just don't see a download trailer option for this particular movie, maybe it's because it's not one of the current releases, all I see is a play trailer button, which opens up a playback window, which contains just simple playback controls. i see on recent releases they have a list below the movie of different trailers (720p, 1080p etc) with a get trailer button next to them, but nothing like that is found on this movie's iTunes page.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 03:06 PM   #17
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
i'm sorry I just don't see a download trailer option for this particular movie, maybe it's because it's not one of the current releases, all I see is a play trailer button, which opens up a playback window, which contains just simple playback controls.
That's what I used on that particular movie: the View Trailer button.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenCap 14.PNG
Views:	53
Size:	621.3 KB
ID:	323070
Old Feb 4, 2012, 03:10 PM   #18
Cagle
macrumors regular

Quote:
That's what I used on that particular movie: the View Trailer button.
Attachment 323070
ha, thats what I did but every screenshot resulted in a blank image; I guess you're not bound by the same copy protection laws that I am?
Old Feb 4, 2012, 03:15 PM   #19
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
ha, thats what I did but every screenshot resulted in a blank image; I guess you're not bound by the same copy protection laws that I am?
LOL! Yeah, people tell me I'm a "special case!"

With the trailer playing, click on your Desktop, so your Menu Bar shows "Finder" instead of "iTunes" in the upper left corner. Now press Command-Shift-4 and drag from your Desktop over the iTunes trailer window, so you capture part of the Desktop and part of the iTunes window. See if that captures the trailer screen.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 03:17 PM   #20
simsaladimbamba

Mister GGJstudios has Mac OS X 10.5.8 and probably an ancient iTunes version as well. Maybe Apple didn't put such effort into older releases of iTunes and Mac OS X, if you, Cagle have a more recent version, as I assume.

----------

Quote:
LOL! Yeah, people tell me I'm a "special case!"

With the trailer playing, click on your Desktop, so your Menu Bar shows "Finder" instead of "iTunes" in the upper left corner. Now press Command-Shift-4 and drag from your Desktop over the iTunes trailer window, so you capture part of the Desktop and part of the iTunes window. See if that captures the trailer screen.
That does not work in 10.6.8 and iTunes 10.5.x.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 03:21 PM   #21
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
That does not work in 10.6.8 and iTunes 10.5.x.
You're quite right. I just tested on 10.6.8 and it doesn't work. Yet another reason why I haven't found any benefit to upgrading!
Old Feb 4, 2012, 03:23 PM   #22
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
You're quite right. I just tested on 10.6.8 and it doesn't work. Yet another reason why I haven't found any benefit to upgrading!
Yeah, you must be loving 10.7 then.
Maybe I should revert back to 10.5.8, that I can upgrade to 10.6 some months later, thus I feel like I have a newer OS, as I hardly find fault with 10.6, though the recent SecUpdate was bit mean.

And take a look at FS, there is a thread waiting for you.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 03:26 PM   #23
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
And take a look at FS, there is a thread waiting for you.
Got it! Too funny! I just love nutty people!
Old Feb 4, 2012, 03:33 PM   #24
0dev
macrumors 68040

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rhands+trailer

Can't you use one of the trailers on YouTube? They won't be DRM cockblocked and I'm sure at least one is of decent quality.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 06:58 PM   #25
simsaladimbamba

This app can do it: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/skitch/id425955336?mt=12

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store