Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 26, 2012, 01:03 AM   #76
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by iag48 View Post
I have been using ST on my iP4S for a week now and the data, texts is useless. The only time data seems to function is late night. Despite having 3 bars in my apartment, iMessage does not work and even loading up Google takes forever. I have the correct APN settings and have tried even restoring the phone.

I also don't feel comfortable knowing there is a 100mb limit per day. So today in the morning none of my iMessages were going through and my email was not working properly, I just gave up and called AT&T to sign up for service.

Good luck to you guys.
There is a 100mb limit a day? I thought it was unlimited with it being advised to stay under 2gigs for the month
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 01:05 AM   #77
RotaryP7
macrumors 6502a

You guys can also go the route of T-Mobile for $50 unlimited everything. That's unlimited EDGE! Their Monthly 4G plans are pretty good. And now they support iPhone's so any issue and you can just call them.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 01:11 AM   #78
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryP7 View Post
You guys can also go the route of T-Mobile for $50 unlimited everything. That's unlimited EDGE! Their Monthly 4G plans are pretty good. And now they support iPhone's so any issue and you can just call them.
But straight talk does not require one to be unlocked nor jailbroke
dukebound85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 01:22 AM   #79
RotaryP7
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
But straight talk does not require one to be unlocked nor jailbroke
True. However I was looking at people saying they wanted to JB to change the MMS settings.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:12 AM   #80
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
There is a 100mb limit a day? I thought it was unlimited with it being advised to stay under 2gigs for the month
No one really knows what the limit is. Look at Howardforums for more info.
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 01:59 PM   #81
ammonfife
macrumors newbie

Works great for me

Bought an ATT iPhone 4 (32gb) off Craigslist for 285
Put in the sim, and it works fine. Kids can stream netflix while we drive (had some buffering the first time, but now seems to work fine.)

Not a bad deal if you ask me.
ammonfife is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:25 PM   #82
techguy20
macrumors 6502

I've used almost 5GB 3G so far. No throttling or anything, still about 4Mbps down.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:13 AM   #83
Azzin
macrumors 65816

Hi all and greetings from the UK!

I need to get my SIM sorted for a trip to NYC in March.

I have a Vonage account, which gives me unlimited calls to US mobiles & landlines, I also think I can set it to forward to the US mobile number I get, so that will work fine for people ringing me, but I'm also interested in outgoing calls and more importantly data access...

Can I pick one of these Straight talk SIMs up and will it be ok for me to use in my unlocked iPhone 4 (purchased from Apple store in London)?

If not, does anyone know of any SIM deals with data that I can use for my week in NYC (preferably one that I can order in advance so I have it for when I land).

Cheers.
Azzin is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:52 AM   #84
techguy20
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzin View Post
Hi all and greetings from the UK!

I need to get my SIM sorted for a trip to NYC in March.

I have a Vonage account, which gives me unlimited calls to US mobiles & landlines, I also think I can set it to forward to the US mobile number I get, so that will work fine for people ringing me, but I'm also interested in outgoing calls and more importantly data access...

Can I pick one of these Straight talk SIMs up and will it be ok for me to use in my unlocked iPhone 4 (purchased from Apple store in London)?

If not, does anyone know of any SIM deals with data that I can use for my week in NYC (preferably one that I can order in advance so I have it for when I land).

Cheers.
Should work just fine in NYC. It's $45 for the month of service, plus $15 for the MicroSIM itself.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:53 AM   #85
Azzin
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy20 View Post
Should work just fine in NYC. It's $45 for the month of service, plus $15 for the MicroSIM itself.
Excellent, thank you.

Now the next question is how do I go about getting one!?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:51 PM   #86
techguy20
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Excellent, thank you.

Now the next question is how do I go about getting one!?
http://www.straighttalk.com/shopsims

You can just throw in any NYC zip code (just looked them up and 10001 works).

Only thing is I'm not sure about shipping to the UK. Were you planning to do that, or order it when you arrive in the US?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 03:55 PM   #87
Azzin
macrumors 65816

Quote:
http://www.straighttalk.com/shopsims

You can just throw in any NYC zip code (just looked them up and 10001 works).

Only thing is I'm not sure about shipping to the UK. Were you planning to do that, or order it when you arrive in the US?
I'm only over for a week (Sunday 11th March to Sunday 18th March), so getting one while I'm there is no good, I need to have one when I land or pick one up on the Monday.

It looks like T-Mobile may be an option for me as they offer a variety of Prepaid options:

Prepaid Cell Plans | No Contract Cell Phone Plans | T-Mobile

I'm only there for a week, so their "Unlimited Web & Text" might just do me fine for $30.

The only thing is, it doesn't appear you can add the "International Unlimited talk & Text" bundle for $10, as that can only be added to tariffs of $50 & above-and even if I get one of the $50 tariffs, it appears the data is then only 2G, as it says "First 100MB at up to 4G speeds".

How hard can this be??

Maybe the answer is to go for the $70 "Monthly 4G" tariff (*First 5 GB at up to 4G speeds) and then add the $10 bundle of international calls so that I can ring home?

That would come to $80, which is about 50 for the week.

As I mentioned, I have a Vonage business account that gives me unlimited calls to USA landlines and mobiles, so I think what I can do is just before I take off, leave a message on my 3 voicemail telling people to call me on my Vonage number (normal landline number) and set the Vonage number to divert to my USA SIM number once I get it the next day, so when people ring my Vonage number they will get my in NYC on T-Mob number.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:02 PM   #88
techguy20
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I'm only over for a week (Sunday 11th March to Sunday 18th March), so getting one while I'm there is no good, I need to have one when I land or pick one up on the Monday.

It looks like T-Mobile may be an option for me as they offer a variety of Prepaid options:

Prepaid Cell Plans | No Contract Cell Phone Plans | T-Mobile

I'm only there for a week, so their "Unlimited Web & Text" might just do me fine for $30.

The only thing is, it doesn't appear you can add the "International Unlimited talk & Text" bundle for $10, as that can only be added to tariffs of $50 & above-and even if I get one of the $50 tariffs, it appears the data is then only 2G, as it says "First 100MB at up to 4G speeds".

How hard can this be??

Maybe the answer is to go for the $70 "Monthly 4G" tariff (*First 5 GB at up to 4G speeds) and then add the $10 bundle of international calls so that I can ring home?

That would come to $80, which is about 50 for the week.

As I mentioned, I have a Vonage business account that gives me unlimited calls to USA landlines and mobiles, so I think what I can do is just before I take off, leave a message on my 3 voicemail telling people to call me on my Vonage number (normal landline number) and set the Vonage number to divert to my USA SIM number once I get it the next day, so when people ring my Vonage number they will get my in NYC on T-Mob number.
I see... One thing to note: on T-Mobile USA using an iPhone, you'll only be able to get onto EDGE, no 3G due to the difference in the carriers' GSM bands.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:06 PM   #89
Azzin
macrumors 65816

Good info Techguy, thanks.

Back to square 1 for me then...
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:31 PM   #90
techguy20
macrumors 6502

Quote:

I'd still recommend Straight Talk for the week: unlimited, talk, text, 3G data, no activation fee besides the MicroSIM itself. Only issue is getting it to the UK before you come to the US. Have you checked their international shipping policy yet?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:31 AM   #91
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Do you have a contact here you could have it shipped to?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:02 PM   #92
syedrizvi21
macrumors 6502

Can anyone post a working mms settings?

www.SyedRizvi.shutterfly.com
syedrizvi21 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:33 PM   #93
syedrizvi21
macrumors 6502

My data speed ... It has been going up and down though
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330576358.366808.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	327028  

syedrizvi21 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 01:09 AM   #94
Azzin
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
Do you have a contact here you could have it shipped to?
Potentially, I guess I could have it shipped to the office of the firm I'll be working for in NYC-how safe would having it sent to the hotel I'm staying in be?

I'm getting to JFK about 9pm and will be heading straight to the hotel to crash straight out as my body will be 5 hours ahead of NYC time!).

It would be perfect to have the SIM waiting for me, but I guess getting it at the office the next morning would be ok too.

Thanks.
Azzin is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 09:42 AM   #95
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Potentially, I guess I could have it shipped to the office of the firm I'll be working for in NYC-how safe would having it sent to the hotel I'm staying in be?

I'm getting to JFK about 9pm and will be heading straight to the hotel to crash straight out as my body will be 5 hours ahead of NYC time!).

It would be perfect to have the SIM waiting for me, but I guess getting it at the office the next morning would be ok too.

Thanks.
I'd go for the office, you could get it first thing in the morning. You'd presumably have wifi to communicate that evening and the next morning at the hotel.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 03:43 PM   #96
syedrizvi21
macrumors 6502

guys for some reason. My data has stopped working, I am getting 3G written on the top left corner but there is no data? I just got my service yesterday.

I have rebooted my phone 5 times, my data settings are att.mvno

can anyone help? Please

syedrizvi21 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 03:45 PM   #97
techguy20
macrumors 6502

I think that sounds like a good idea. Just make sure they are expecting it at the office ahead of time so it will be waiting for you.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by syedrizvi21 View Post
Can anyone post a working mms settings?
These settings work perfectly and are recommended:

http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.p...e#Data_.26_MMS

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by syedrizvi21 View Post
guys for some reason. My data has stopped working, I am getting 3G written on the top left corner but there is no data? I just got my service yesterday.

I have rebooted my phone 5 times, my data settings are att.mvno

can anyone help? Please
Try putting it in Airplane mode for 5 minutes. Then trying opening Google.com
Old Mar 2, 2012, 01:11 PM   #98
Azzin
macrumors 65816

Ok...

I'm going to be staying round here and working in this area.

Can anyone advise me of a store/plan that I can buy/activate on the Monday morning (12th March)?

Cheers.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 04:03 PM   #99
techguy20
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Ok...

I'm going to be staying round here and working in this area.

Can anyone advise me of a store/plan that I can buy/activate on the Monday morning (12th March)?

Cheers.
If you're looking for the SIM card, you'll need to order that online. It is not sold in stores, and the shipping would take 3-5 days.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:17 PM   #100
Iffy22
macrumors newbie

Angry

Quote:
If you're looking for the SIM card, you'll need to order that online. It is not sold in stores, and the shipping would take 3-5 days.
Ordering online from outside the US does not work. I tried, and this is the response I got:

"Dear Customer:
Thank you for choosing StraightTalk Wireless, Inc for your prepaid cell phone and accessory needs.
At this time, we regret to inform you that your order, placed on 03-03-2012, was not approved since the order needs to be made within the USA.
Additionally, you may see a pre-authorization for the corresponding order amount on your bank account activity; the displayed pending transaction should be removed and the corresponding funds should be back on your account within 24 to 72 business hours, depending on your bank.

Thank you for choosing StraightTalk Wireless, Inc for your prepaid cell phone and accessory needs. I hope that you enjoy the rest of your day!

Sincerely,
M Rodriguez | Loss Prevention & Credit Card Fraud | TracFone Wireless, Inc. "

So I guess you'll have to ask one of your US friends to place the order.
What is this with data plans/iPhone plans in the US? Almost impossible as a visitor?
Iffy22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone